Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Using a UK Mobile in Oz

Using a UK Mobile in Oz

Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all
Default Using a UK Mobile in Oz

I am flying out for a reccie in a few weeks and was wondering whether a tri-band mobile will work in Oz or is it quad band down there?

Cheers,

Gav
Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

CnG-OZ Bound will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Using a UK Mobile in Oz

The Australian GSM mobile standard is GSM 900/1800, with CDMA service in some areas.

GSM-900 Singtel Optus (Australia Wide)
Telstra (Australia Wide)
Vodafone (Australia Wide)
GSM-1800 3-Com (Some Major Cities Only)
CDMA-800 Telstra (Australia Wide)
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

PeeCee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gav_71
I am flying out for a reccie in a few weeks and was wondering whether a tri-band mobile will work in Oz or is it quad band down there?

Cheers,

Gav
I don't think there is anything different to the UK. When I visisted I took my old Nokia and it worked fine. I used my old phone as it was network unlocked.
Find a Telstra shop (there are loads if them) and buy a SIM card for $20 and it will come loaded with $20 of credit. Calls are 40c/min to UK (check this) and txt is similar. You can recharge at loads of places but credit expires after 6 months so use it before you leave Oz.
Check the call costs I quote as things do change, but shouldn't be far wrong. This is much cheaper than paying UK roaming or buying an Oz SIM in the UK which some companies tout as the cheap way. Using a calling card may be cheaper but is not nearly so convenient.
You need to show your passport to buy the SIM and have something with your address on (don't know why) but rules is rules.

Pat
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:15 pm
Going going.........

Little miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gav_71

Cheers,

Gav
Are you on Orange, if so you have to get your phoned unblocked to put an Oz sim card in.
If you are going and want to use your Uk phone then it only needs to be tri-band
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:50 pm
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Went for a month in February and took my 02 phone, it cost me a fortune in calls the first week, so 2nd week went a bought a nokia for 30 dollars on Optus it advertised 30 dollars free calls but when I registered I got 90 dollars of free calls and registered it to the motel we stayed in.

Now have a phone for when we go back.

Lisa
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeeCee
I don't think there is anything different to the UK. When I visisted I took my old Nokia and it worked fine. I used my old phone as it was network unlocked.
Find a Telstra shop (there are loads if them) and buy a SIM card for $20 and it will come loaded with $20 of credit. Calls are 40c/min to UK (check this) and txt is similar. You can recharge at loads of places but credit expires after 6 months so use it before you leave Oz.
Check the call costs I quote as things do change, but shouldn't be far wrong. This is much cheaper than paying UK roaming or buying an Oz SIM in the UK which some companies tout as the cheap way. Using a calling card may be cheaper but is not nearly so convenient.
You need to show your passport to buy the SIM and have something with your address on (don't know why) but rules is rules.

Pat
err, if you go to a Vodafone shop and pay $29 you get $130 of credit ($29 cap)