Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Use an Agent or go it alone???

Use an Agent or go it alone???

Old May 28th 2003, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default Use an Agent or go it alone???

We are looking to move to New Zealand using a general work skills visa, by getting sponsored by a company in Auckland. The skills I have are on the shortages list.

The question I have is.... should we use an agent which appears to cost loads of money, or should we go it alone and fill in the forms ourselves. I work in London so can go to NZ house as many times as necessary.

I dont mind paying for an agent if I feel they can do something I cant and we increase our chances of getting accepted, however it does appear to be money for old rope.

What are your experiances?
Can you recommend a agent to use.

We are off to the Opportunities Abroad 2003 show in York this weekend. Does anyone have any comments on the show if they have been before? What should we expect.

Thanks

PF
Old May 28th 2003, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go it alone, sounds like your application is going to be straight forward, its not a difficult process, just make sure you read and fully understand each question.

For agents take a look at http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/fil...ntagencies.php
Old May 28th 2003, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

''''''

Last edited by TIZUS; Jun 2nd 2003 at 12:23 pm.
Old May 28th 2003, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi PF!

If your circumstances are fairly uncomplicated, then i'd say definately go it alone, but with complications, then using an agent isnt neccesaryily 'money for old rope'. and there are some good ones that post on this group. they give their professional help and advice for free!! which is much appreciated by the rest of us!

Good luck and hope things work out well for you!

cheers
Old May 28th 2003, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Just to say - I agree with the others, we did it ourselves and found it all pretty straight forward. It was always easy to get advice over the phone from the immigration people too.
Old May 28th 2003, 4:25 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add my tuppence: we used a good NZ migration agent but would advise any other straightforward NZ applicants to DIY - no bitter regrets as we appreciated the agent's help but with hindsight and this forum we could have EASILY done it ourselves.

Harpers - if you just mean you will include an allowable job offer, and there are no complications, I strongly advise you to DIY as NZIS London bend over backwards to help UK apps with job offer succeed. There need be NO FEARS about an app being rejected out of hand because you got a small detail wrong - they will just ask for clarification.

Cheers - Don
Old May 28th 2003, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Jon&Ann is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, isn't it unusual for so many people to agree
money for old rope and to be honest I'm doing exactly
what your doing now and the Forum has been a great
source of Information..

It takes time to look through though, trying to find the New Zealand topics from the Oz ones.. but it is worth the read..

Good luck
Old May 28th 2003, 5:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I decided to go it alone, the hardest bit was the skills assesment, but we got the ok back from that in 2 weeks!
The rest was quite simple really.
If i had let an agent help me i would have driven them nuts phoning them 24/7 to find out what was happening! At least going it alone i felt in control of my own stuff. (oh god i really am a control freak, wheres the prozac! )
Old May 28th 2003, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Use an Agent or go it alone???

Originally posted by Pastor Flaps
The question I have is.... should we use an agent which appears to cost loads of money, or should we go it alone and fill in the forms ourselves. I work in London so can go to NZ house as many times as necessary.
Like others on this forum, I'd suggest going it alone. I would add that it could be important to get good evidence of everything, even though it might not all be needed.

A good agent who knows his or her stuff can be a geat backup but they do seem to want a lot for what may be not much effort. It depends on the complexity. NZ based agents are a lot cheaper as they charge in NZ$ and it could work out to significantly less than £1000. After a preliminary chat with one agent (I did it alone, eventually), he did seem to be up to speed with the latest interpretations of immigration policy and I added more evidence of what subjects my BSc was actually in. But I don't think that was worth the £3,500 (incl VAT) that he was charging.
Old May 29th 2003, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for everyones help and advice on this.
My gut feel is to go it alone.

We will see what happens at the Opportunties Abroad Exhibition tomrrow at York, and let you know how we get on.

PF
Old May 29th 2003, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by h garrett
Hi
I decided to go it alone, the hardest bit was the skills assesment, but we got the ok back from that in 2 weeks!
The rest was quite simple really.
If i had let an agent help me i would have driven them nuts phoning them 24/7 to find out what was happening! At least going it alone i felt in control of my own stuff. (oh god i really am a control freak, wheres the prozac! )
Only 2 weeks for the skills assessment? Did you pay the extra "fast-track" fee of $150?