Reload this Page >

USA Vs. Australia - Kindly post ur feedback

USA Vs. Australia - Kindly post ur feedback

Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USA Vs. Australia - Kindly post ur feedback

Originally Posted by jimmyd4006
Wrong. My partner came to Australia from Greece in 1974, had no problems getting Australian Citizenship, and on last trip applied and got Greek passport. checked re Australian Citizenship before applying for Greek passport and absolutely no probelms.
The confusion surrounding Aussie citizneship is because prior to April 2002, if an Australian citizen wanted to take up citizenship of another country, they had to relinquish their Aussie citizenship. This didn't prevent citizens from another country taking up Aussie citizenship as dual nationals though. This has since been changed.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Yeah, your kids grow up into bogans!
Or Chavs!!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The confusion surrounding Aussie citizneship is because prior to April 2002, if an Australian citizen wanted to take up citizenship of another country, they had to relinquish their Aussie citizenship. This didn't prevent citizens from another country taking up Aussie citizenship as dual nationals though. This has since been changed.
This isn't true across the board dean....I did this prior to 2002 without losing aussie citizenship.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
This isn't true across the board dean....I did this prior to 2002 without losing aussie citizenship.
You would have. It only applied to Australian citizens before April 2002. If you were a British citizen and wanted to take up Aussie then that is OK but if you were Aussie and wanted to take up British them you would have to renounce Aussie. Aussies were'nt too happy about the fairness of that so it was changed.

Prior to 4 April 2002, Section 17 of the Australian Citizenship Act 1948 provided that adult Australians who did "any act or thing- the sole or dominant purpose of which, and the effect of which, is to acquire the nationality or citizenship of a foreign country shall upon acquisition cease to be an Australian citizen".
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/automa.../dual-citz.htm
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

You would have. It only applied to Australian citizens before April 2002. If you were a British citizen and wanted to take up Aussie then that is OK but if you were Aussie and wanted to take up British them you would have to renounce Aussie. Aussies were'nt too happy about the fairness of that so it was changed.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/automa.../dual-citz.htm
That quote is odd as I did that very thing....australian citizen who acquired another citizenship 4 years prior to 2002 without losing my aussie citizenship. Used both passports extensively after that.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fish.01
That quote is odd as I did that very thing....australian citizen who acquired another citizenship 4 years prior to 2002 without losing my aussie citizenship. Used both passports extensively after that.
Ah, maybe I fell under this rule: Section 17 did not apply to those who acquired another citizenship automatically or simply obtained a passport of a country of which they were already a citizen.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:11 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Anyone who thinks Aussie allows tri-citizenship anymore is deluded and have a 3 way nationality in this day and age simply does not exist especielly when High security concious countries like Australia and USA are involved.

In many cases people have a 3 way if the third is a poorer country that simply and other governments may not even acknowledge it ie Canada, GB and Sudan...But this would never involve Australia.

Australian is good with UK, Ireland and a few countries but overall it is very difficult to dual. You will meet any Italian or greeks who came out in the sixties and seventies who when Aussie citizenship arrived were forced to give up their previous nationality.

I already have Australia/USA. Hypothetically If i took out HSMP and live in London for 20 years and I could never get UK unless I decided to drop one of the other passports. You would be made to choose.
Huh? Where did you get this mis-information from.

In general terms (and with very few exceptions), countries that allow dual citizenship allow multiple citizenship in the same circumstances. Since 4 April 2002, there have been virtually no restrictions on Australians holding or gaining another citizenship. (There were some restrictions before that.) The UK has the same view, as do many other countries. Broadly speaking, the USA does as well: there is no problem in ordinary circumstances with a US citizen having, or taking, another citizenship.

In the case of the OP, if her daughter moved to Australia and in the fulness of time became an Australian citizen that would not endanger her US citizenship. Someone posted this link — http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ — above: it gives a good overview of the US situation; it is not an official site but it has links to a lot of official sites.

This page from the website of the US embassy in London puts it in fairly simple terms:

Dual Nationality

In the 1980's, the Supreme Court ruled that U.S. citizenship is a constitutional right that cannot be taken away from a citizen who does not intend to relinquish it. Therefore, such actions as naturalization in a foreign country, travel on a foreign passport, employment with a foreign government, and voting in a foreign election do not automatically jeopardize American citizenship. However, please note that all U.S. citizens, even dual nationals, must enter and depart the United States on U.S. passports.
The Australian situation is given clearly enough on this page from DFAT about dual citizenship:

Since April 2002, Australian citizens have been allowed to acquire the citizenship of another country without losing their Australian citizenship.
Australia has not for a long time required people naturalising as Australian citizens to renounce any other citizenship that they may hold.

The British situation is summarised on this page about dual nationality from the UK Border Agency website (among other places):

You do not need to give up your present citizenship or nationality to become a British citizen...

You will not normally lose your British nationality if you become a citizen or national of another country.
But what you have said is just plain wrong.