Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

USA Vs. Australia - Kindly post ur feedback

USA Vs. Australia - Kindly post ur feedback

Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:14 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: USA Vs. Australia - Kindly post ur feedback

l agree with what another poster said both a very large countries so theres good and bad parts in both countries , if you carefully choose a nice place to live you could have a good life in either country,
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

In regards to multiple citizenships, according to our very expensive lawyer it is allowed. Our children will be US, UK and Australian citizens if we choose to take up Australian citizenship. I have also spoken with the US, UK and Australian consulates and all back my lawyers position that it is allowed.

As far as my reasons for not wanting to raise my kids in the US, it comes down to many personal reasons that include health care in the US, education in the US and the mentality there. I left when I was 28 years old and I do not think it is a place I want my children to model the values of.

As far as work goes, my husband is also an IT professional and there is no such thing as job security anymore.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

eva-usa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks freinds .....thanks very much for all your inputs. I really appreciate it.

After reading all post on this thread , I feel OZ is much better for me than US. Few reasons are , I am 35 yrs now & need more of family , laid back life. I earned enough in US both in terms of money & stress & cant keep up with fast paced life here. Need a break ..... The most important thing for me at this stage of life is " My Family & peace of mind". Regardless of how good or bad US life is, I feel its really fast paced , more professional, lonely. The base of US culture is "Individualism" & sometimes its very ruthless. but thats just my opinion based on my personal experience in last 7 yrs.

But anyways , thanks for everyone for sharing their thoughts. You guys give boost to my decision of moving to Oz. Pluses & minuses are everywhere in the world in every country. You just gotta deal with it .....

Planning a job hunting trip in September ...will stay there for a month & if I get job then move my family from US to Oz I am confident I will get the job
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eva-usa
Hi Nova2bne,

Thanks for shring ur views. It is really helpful.

How abt job culture? I am IT professional & its very stressful here. Although I have very good experience in latest technology & always top in the line but always insecure in case of jobs.

I hope others will share their views too.
You pay a lot more tax in Australia than in the US and salaries for IT professionals are no where near comparable to the US.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:16 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
You pay a lot more tax in Australia than in the US and salaries for IT professionals are no where near comparable to the US.
The Misery score is the sum of the taxes shown in the colored bars, at the highest marginal percentage in each locale. It's our best proxy for evaluating whether policy attracts or repels capital and talent.
2009 Tax Misery & Reform Index

USA 115.4
UK 106.8
Aus 96.5

Forbes have published tax burden by country data. What this does not consider is debt burden. Both the USA and UK have a higher debt burden than Aus and that will affect future tax burdens.

There is some highly paid IT work in all 3 countries; globalization has resulted in leveling the differences.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
The Misery score is the sum of the taxes shown in the colored bars, at the highest marginal percentage in each locale. It's our best proxy for evaluating whether policy attracts or repels capital and talent.
2009 Tax Misery & Reform Index

USA 115.4
UK 106.8
Aus 96.5

Forbes have published tax burden by country data. What this does not consider is debt burden. Both the USA and UK have a higher debt burden than Aus and that will affect future tax burdens.

There is some highly paid IT work in all 3 countries; globalization has resulted in leveling the differences.
Actually if you look more closely you'll see it says USA 85.3

The bands also include corporate taxes.

For personal taxes only I would say the numbers are:

UK - 66
Aus - 66.5 (57.5 if you don't include 9% super contribution)
USA - 42.7

...then it doesn't take into account that super contributions are subject to further tax. All in all very simplistic study - doesn't consider things like the capping on contributions at certain income levels etc.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:53 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Actually if you look more closely you'll see it says USA 85.3

The bands also include corporate taxes.

UK - 66
USA - 42.7

...then it doesn't take into account that super contributions are subject to further tax. All in all very simplistic study - doesn't consider things like the capping on contributions at certain income levels etc.
I think Forbes intended that ranking as "our best proxy for evaluating whether policy attracts or repels capital and talent". More useful for someone looking to walk away with the largest stash of cash. That corporate profits in Aus mostly end up as dividends carrying tax credits for the recipients, yet that does not show in Forbes' graph, indicates they have deliberately chosen a simplistic methodology.

Total tax burden comes closer to suggesting how the average individual will fare. Aus and USA close on that score.

At the individual level, much depends on how efficiently taxes are minimized. A person with a young family is hit squarely with many taxes but also with many deductions. A person in business can retain profits, for example, to minimize taxes.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
I don't think IT salaries are that bad in Melb/Sydney - When you remove the exceptions like the City, Canary Wharf or New York etc then there isn't much in it.

The vast majority of IT permanents in the UK will be somewhere between 20,000 and 50,000 pounds a year - matches up to Aus pretty well. Similarly in the States.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Total tax burden comes closer to suggesting how the average individual will fare. Aus and USA close on that score.
Norway tops that list. It's not a country I associate with a lack of wealth.

At the individual level, much depends on how efficiently taxes are minimized. A person with a young family is hit squarely with many taxes but also with many deductions. A person in business can retain profits, for example, to minimize taxes.
...and as such, for someone trying to determine if they are financially better off in the USA, Australia or anywhere else, these bands are pretty meaningless.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:16 am
Banned

Norway tops that list. It's not a country I associate with a lack of wealth.

...and as such, for someone trying to determine if they are financially better off in the USA, Australia or anywhere else, these bands are pretty meaningless.
You have twice missed the point. Twice I offered the suggestion "total tax burden" for you to explore. If you are interested, show some initiative; hopefully we'll all be a little better informed.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:07 am
Account Closed

UK - 66
USA - 42.7

Yes, spot on.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sr71
The vast majority of IT permanents in the UK will be somewhere between 20,000 and 50,000 pounds a year - matches up to Aus pretty well. Similarly in the States.
Under the current exchange rate yes but that will not be the case forever. When the pound buys $2.5 - $3AUD it's a bit of a different story. It all depends on what you do in IT. Just network/infrastructure guys, programmers are generally ten a penny. However get SAP/Oracle implementation consultants (or other niche) and it becomes a different story. These guys earn much more in the UK/US.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eva-usa
Thanks freinds .....thanks very much for all your inputs. I really appreciate it.

After reading all post on this thread , I feel OZ is much better for me than US. Few reasons are , I am 35 yrs now & need more of family , laid back life. I earned enough in US both in terms of money & stress & cant keep up with fast paced life here. Need a break ..... The most important thing for me at this stage of life is " My Family & peace of mind". Regardless of how good or bad US life is, I feel its really fast paced , more professional, lonely. The base of US culture is "Individualism" & sometimes its very ruthless. but thats just my opinion based on my personal experience in last 7 yrs.

But anyways , thanks for everyone for sharing their thoughts. You guys give boost to my decision of moving to Oz. Pluses & minuses are everywhere in the world in every country. You just gotta deal with it .....

Planning a job hunting trip in September ...will stay there for a month & if I get job then move my family from US to Oz I am confident I will get the job
Australia is a great country and offers a lot to children in particular! Enjoy!!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Weebie
Anyone who thinks Aussie allows tri-citizenship anymore is deluded and have a 3 way nationality in this day and age simply does not exist especielly when High security concious countries like Australia and USA are involved.

In many cases people have a 3 way if the third is a poorer country that simply and other governments may not even acknowledge it ie Canada, GB and Sudan...But this would never involve Australia.

Australian is good with UK, Ireland and a few countries but overall it is very difficult to dual. You will meet any Italian or greeks who came out in the sixties and seventies who when Aussie citizenship arrived were forced to give up their previous nationality.

I already have Australia/USA. Hypothetically If i took out HSMP and live in London for 20 years and I could never get UK unless I decided to drop one of the other passports. You would be made to choose.
Wrong. My partner came to Australia from Greece in 1974, had no problems getting Australian Citizenship, and on last trip applied and got Greek passport. checked re Australian Citizenship before applying for Greek passport and absolutely no probelms.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Australia is a great country and offers a lot to children in particular! Enjoy!!
Yeah, your kids grow up into bogans!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.