Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

urgent advice please

urgent advice please

Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice
Default urgent advice please

My daughter has been offered a place at Deakin Uni to study Nutrition. I believe the campus is in/near Burwood.
Does anyone know what the uni is like and and the surrounding areas. She has not managed to get on site accomodation so would need to find a flat.

Urgent advice please as we have to accept or decline soon.

Thanks
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: urgent advice please

Sorry I can't help, just thought I would bump the thread for you.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice

thank you for your 'bump'
Old Jan 19th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

Come on guys,

Someone help the poor girl out. A chance to stury in Oz should not be missed because we can't let the poor girl know about the area.

Sorry I can't help - I'm not in the country yet and hoping to head to Perth anyway.

Good luck to you. Hope you get the information you need.

Carol
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lissysarah
My daughter has been offered a place at Deakin Uni to study Nutrition. I believe the campus is in/near Burwood.
Does anyone know what the uni is like and and the surrounding areas. She has not managed to get on site accomodation so would need to find a flat.
I don't know the campus. Deakin is fairly well known for distance learning, but it's not part of the Group of Eight (Australia's top universities): http://www.go8.edu.au

Does she have the opportunity to go to Melbourne or Monash also?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jaj

unfortunately she didn't get an offer from Monash and there are few unis offering nutrition/dietetics. I believe Burwood is 10-15km outside CBD and I hope to move over there a couple of months after her (not to live with her) but will be somewhere in/near Melbourne.

She is a very keen netball player so if anyone knows any teams near Burwood area that need new players please let me know.
thanks
Ls
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jaj

unfortunately she didn't get an offer from Monash and there are few unis offering nutrition/dietetics. I believe Burwood is 10-15km outside CBD and I hope to move over there a couple of months after her (not to live with her) but will be somewhere in/near Melbourne.

She is a very keen netball player so if anyone knows any teams near Burwood area that need new players please let me know.
thanks
Ls
ok deakin......

about 45mins from the city centre by tram (there will be faster ways - check http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/ for the best route).

As for no onsite accomodation....... just head into the uni and have a look at the notice boards and see what posts are up looking for sharemates etc. there'll probably be heaps!!!

No deakin isn't one of the GO8's... but neither's my uni and it's currently (allegedly - ind. reasearch) got the top law school in the country.

Deakin has been awarded the Best University of the Year award, and the Outstanding Education and Training Partnerships awward from the Good Universities Guide. Also (especially usefull for nutrition/diet peoples) one of the Deakin Profs is the only aussie professor in the McGill Uni (US) global think tank on obesity, and his community health programme is currently world leading template in projects to reduce obesity in the community.

Reviews from International students who have studied at Deakin give it an average of 3.82 out of 4.0 - another very good record.

deakin has it's own netball team/club, but again by checking the noticeboard you'll probably find a few local clubs in the area.

F**k it....... just go for it!!!!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

thank you so much for this reply - it has made my day!!
A few less things to worry about.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:20 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

thank you so much for this reply - it has made my day!!
A few less things to worry about.
We live close by in Malvern

The area is safe
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thebears
We live close by in Malvern

The area is safe
thanks - when do we parents stop worrying!!

cheers
Ls
Old Jan 19th 2007, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears

The area is safe
Agree. It's a nice place.

One questions - is her Nutrition degree industry-recognised? Just a thought....
Old Jan 19th 2007, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

hi - how do you mean?

The course is Bat of Food Science and Nutrition -3yrs and after you can do 1.5yrs to be a dietician (masters degree) . Under career ops for the 3 yr course it says you will be well equipped to work in the food industry but nothing specific?
is there something I need to find out?

thanks for every reply - it helps
Lis
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

hi - how do you mean?

The course is Bat of Food Science and Nutrition -3yrs and after you can do 1.5yrs to be a dietician (masters degree) . Under career ops for the 3 yr course it says you will be well equipped to work in the food industry but nothing specific?

thanks for every reply - it helps
Lis
Sounds fine - it's the private courses that can be a problem..you know the kind "study part time for two years and be a fully qualified nutritionist".

I dont think that there is anything that you need to find out - is it a qualification that an organisation like the NHS would recognise? Sounds like it to me
Old Jan 20th 2007, 12:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

hi - how do you mean?

You should visit the Dieticians Association of Australia website to see if the degree is accredited.