Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Urban myths abound.......

Urban myths abound.......

Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:23 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Urban myths abound.......

Are you lot trying to tell me that I am not goin to get bitten on the butt by a redback lurking under the loo seat and be found there dead a week later
Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:33 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Badge
I asked my old dear whether she'd come and visit us in Australia when I told her we were pulling the red handle on the UK..I think she'd cottoned on to me anyhow as I'd been there a year in Australia already, and my brother had probably grassed me up..

she said:

"I'd absolutely boil alive. You KNOW I can't stand the heat..."

I said "Mother dear" well not like that - "Melbourne may get 40 degree days" - (I later had great pleasure in recounting this in email) but it gets effing cold in the winter..."

and it does - that's not a myth.

Ceri is right if you're cold, you're cold, if you're hot you're hot. I've never been a cold person or a hot person. Suited for Melbourne then..

BM

If shes not coming out, the least you could do is invite Mike out for a week or two.
Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

We're due to fly out to Sydney in a couple of months and I've just told my Gran that we are expecting a second baby (timing is everything, I know!).

'Oh that's a shame - you won't be able to go then' was the reply. Why not? 'Well you can't have a baby in Australia can you?' Why not ??? Apparently Gran doesn't think they have hospitals in Sydney !!

Disappointingly, I had a similar response from many people much younger. Think people in the UK watch too many episodes of The Flying Doctor
Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:42 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Bordy
If shes not coming out, the least you could do is invite Mike out for a week or two.
Bordy : that's the funniest thing I've read ALL YEAR.

Have to admit, if I ever met Mike in person, I'd probably buy him a beer....or two..

Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:44 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

I said "Mother dear" well not like that - "Melbourne may get 40 degree days" - (I later had great pleasure in recounting this in email) but it gets effing cold in the winter..."

and it does - that's not a myth.

Ceri is right if you're cold, you're cold, if you're hot you're hot. I've never been a cold person or a hot person. Suited for Melbourne then..

BM[/QUOTE]

what is this "I'm cold" "no its not cold" thing all about me and my partner have this bloody argument all the time i say i'm cold he says its not and i say IF I'M COLD I'M BLOODY COLD NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE GRRRRRRRR

sorry just had to get that off my chest anyway i went to perth for the first time last july i had asked over and over what is the weather like will it be warm even in winter they said yes you may need a light cardigan for the evenings so i packed my summer wardrobe with a "light cardigan" thrown in LOL it was freezing spent most of my money on jumpers socks and stuff and in the evening they all sat round the tv with dunnas wrapped round them (no form of heating in the place) people back home couldnt believe it when i told them i was cold in Australia
Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:50 am
Badge

Originally Posted by bix

what is this "I'm cold" "no its not cold" thing all about me and my partner have this bloody argument all the time i say i'm cold he says its not and i say IF I'M COLD I'M BLOODY COLD NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE GRRRRRRRR
lol. I reckon differences like that can end in court proceedings.. I love parading around in a T-shirt when the Missus is 'freezing'; I act all innocent - "oh you're cold?, oh, shall I turn on the fire?"

just kidding, I'm not that bad.

Actually, I can be....even more

BM

Old Sep 24th 2004, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Badge
lol. I reckon differences like that can end in court proceedings.. I love parading around in a T-shirt when the Missus is 'freezing'; I act all innocent - "oh you're cold?, oh, shall I turn on the fire?"

just kidding, I'm not that bad.

Actually, I can be....even more

BM
hmmmm i have the name of a good laywer .. for me its a case of outback derbyshire village life in winter im sat in our cave watching corrie with ten jumpers six pairs of socks a balaclava on etc etc and my partners son is sat there in a t-shirt and shorts
Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:01 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Another weather myth, I'm afraid:

Some Australians seem to believe that southern England is regularly covered by a thick blanket of snow between November and March every year. I have several times been asked in Australia how I like 'not having a white Christmas'. When I reply that I'm from London, where it very rarely snows at all, let alone at Christmas, I am greeted with "hmm..." and a very sceptical look indeed.
Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

so one day at work in Sydney it was winter - 12 degrees(ish) and this Irish temp says "it never gets this cold in Ireland" ....like the whole lunchroom looked at her like yup... she's definitely Irish
Old Sep 24th 2004, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsridge
so one day at work in Sydney it was winter - 12 degrees(ish) and this Irish temp says "it never gets this cold in Ireland" ....like the whole lunchroom looked at her like yup... she's definitely Irish
There's certainly plenty of urban myths about Aus in the UK. It's widely assumed to be infernally hot most, if not all of the year throughout the country, and to be so infested with dangerous wildlife, that you need to have your wits about you at all times. Otherwise spiders will bite you on the bum every time you go to the loo, snakes will attack you everytime you walk in the bush, and sharks will have you as hors d' oeuvres should you dare to venture more than 10 yards from land!

Anyhoo, I read somewhere that Aus has larger snowfields than Switzerland, and I can tell you right now that the coldest night of my life was spent camping in Aus, in midsummer!

Conversely, I found more than a few Aussies who believed that the UK was still mired in the economic mess of the late 70s with high unemployment, strikes everywhere etc. I suppose the news from abroad often focusses on the bad, so gives folks a distorted view of 'abroad'.

Also, what's with this thing that poms don't wash? Where on earth did that originate from?
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:04 am
Badge

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Also, what's with this thing that poms don't wash? Where on earth did that originate from?
Poms not 'tubbing' was one I heard from my best mate. I wondered too.

Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:22 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I had a very strange one when we had 2 trees removed from the garden (very big and very dangerous)

"oh we heard you poms don't like trees"!!! WTF!
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:33 am
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hevs
I had a very strange one when we had 2 trees removed from the garden (very big and very dangerous)

"oh we heard you poms don't like trees"!!! WTF!
Badge really said that to you
Old Sep 25th 2004, 1:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tonyk38
They do wash.
My Grandad used have his bath every Thursday, regular as clockwork. I even remember helping to pull the old tin tub into the living room in front of the fire for him to have his bath !

Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:46 am

Also, what's with this thing that poms don't wash? Where on earth did that originate from? [/QUOTE]

well obviously some of us don't did you see that minger the other night on "too posh to wash" she had worn the same bra for 2 yrs without washing it even slept in her clothes blahhhhh