British Exodus

Old Sep 15th 2004, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Oliver Bennett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default press request

Hello everyone, My name is Oliver Bennett and I'm writing a piece for the Sunday Times (UK) about the great British exodus. We're trying to pin down the reasons why so many people seem to be leaving the UK at the moment - analysing the 'push' as well as the 'pull'. I'm seeking comment on this matter, however brief, such as: why did you leave? What do you miss, what don't you miss? Anyone fed up and going home? If anyone wants to get in touch I'm at [email protected] - or post your thoughts here. Full names are preferable if that's okay. We're aiming for a serious piece that addresses the phenomenon.

I will also need a couple of case studies - that is, people willing to have a short interview and potentially a photograph. If that's you, then get in touch.

Many thanks for all your help. Yours, Oliver
Old Sep 17th 2004, 7:09 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: press request

Originally Posted by Oliver Bennett
Hello everyone, My name is Oliver Bennett and I'm writing a piece for the Sunday Times (UK) about the great British exodus. We're trying to pin down the reasons why so many people seem to be leaving the UK at the moment - analysing the 'push' as well as the 'pull'. I'm seeking comment on this matter, however brief, such as: why did you leave? What do you miss, what don't you miss? Anyone fed up and going home? If anyone wants to get in touch I'm at [email protected] - or post your thoughts here. Full names are preferable if that's okay. We're aiming for a serious piece that addresses the phenomenon.

I will also need a couple of case studies - that is, people willing to have a short interview and potentially a photograph. If that's you, then get in touch.

Hi Oliver

My family & I are in the throws of emigrating to Australia.

I would be more than willing to help you out with your story.

Please feel free to contact me.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: press request

Were also in the later stages of hoofing it out of here!!

where do we start?

perth: sunny, CLEAN, my god clean like you widny beleeve!! iv stay'ed in the nastiest parts of edinburgh! its sooo hard to get out!! the property ladder is nasty, the district councle have nothing to offer but vertical villages! with free essance of sewer added!!

what else is a young coupple to do?

on top of that TAX, i mean every country has tax yeah! but it doesnt cripple you like here, you get your wage, almost cry at the amount taken off already! then every time you spent you se it all going back to the tax!!

councle tax stamp duty vat road tax the list is endless, and where i live the rewards for all this tax is totally invisible!!

after you paid your dues you want to spend quallity time with your kids, its either peeing down or you have to pay over the odds to do somthing, no beach or lake, summer lasts a fortnight at best, day after day you pick up a paper and some other wierdo in court for interfiering wi kids!(and still get off to light) christ you cant let them over the door!!

but whet to do? vote for the other guy!! thats what we all did after seeing what our parents went throug the 70's and 80's, didnt get us far!!

nah, its a loosin battle so im off to let somone else fight.

vive la perth!!

p.s ill miss the jam tatrs tho!!
Old Sep 18th 2004, 4:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steven'n'debi
Were also in the later stages of hoofing it out of here!!

where do we start?

perth: sunny, CLEAN, my god clean like you widny beleeve!! iv stay'ed in the nastiest parts of edinburgh! its sooo hard to get out!! the property ladder is nasty, the district councle have nothing to offer but vertical villages! with free essance of sewer added!!

what else is a young coupple to do?

on top of that TAX, i mean every country has tax yeah! but it doesnt cripple you like here, you get your wage, almost cry at the amount taken off already! then every time you spent you se it all going back to the tax!!

councle tax stamp duty vat road tax the list is endless, and where i live the rewards for all this tax is totally invisible!!

after you paid your dues you want to spend quallity time with your kids, its either peeing down or you have to pay over the odds to do somthing, no beach or lake, summer lasts a fortnight at best, day after day you pick up a paper and some other wierdo in court for interfiering wi kids!(and still get off to light) christ you cant let them over the door!!

but whet to do? vote for the other guy!! thats what we all did after seeing what our parents went throug the 70's and 80's, didnt get us far!!

nah, its a loosin battle so im off to let somone else fight.

vive la perth!!

p.s ill miss the jam tatrs tho!!
Is this going to be a serious article or are you looking for anti UK rants like this?
Try interviewing people who are finding Australia (or other countries) has similar problems.

G
Old Sep 18th 2004, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough
Angry Re: press request

Originally Posted by Grayling
Is this going to be a serious article or are you looking for anti UK rants like this?
Try interviewing people who are finding Australia (or other countries) has similar problems.

G
im not anti uk!! maybe anti english at best!! i love scotland!! it is a beautifull COUNTRY but no one lived in the country!! we have to suffer wi the slumbs of councle or the glory or EX councle estates!!
yee ha!! luckie!!

all im saying if you way all the pro's and cons your flight will book its self!!

oh and im no glory huntin like you to get my name in a "seriouse article" ya snob!
Old Sep 18th 2004, 5:14 pm
heehaugh

Granger will become famous soon enoughGranger will become famous soon enough

I think Steven'n'debi have valid points. Lots of people try to say 'the grass is not always greener on the other side' one of my mums favourites. But let's be honest, if you like the sunshine and want to live a more laid back lifestyle then I think that's the UK ruled out. I'm speaking from experience as I worked in Australia before for 1 year.

Anyway, back to the origianl question on the thread, yes Oliver I would not mind you contacting me!
Old Sep 18th 2004, 5:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Main reason is job opportunities and the spouse, the States is way too much effort to try and get into if it weren't for spouse.
I never hand any problems with blighty either, and would have no problems going back to be fair, but am young, and think it's worth trying new things while I don't have anything to hold me back, or make it difficult anyway, like house payments and kids.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 5:33 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

im not anti uk!! maybe anti english at best!! i love scotland!! it is a beautifull COUNTRY but no one lived in the country!! we have to suffer wi the slumbs of councle or the glory or EX councle estates!!
yee ha!! luckie!!

all im saying if you way all the pro's and cons your flight will book its self!!

oh and im no glory huntin like you to get my name in a "seriouse article" ya snob!
You think tax is better in Aus? Think again.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 6:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
You think tax is better in Aus? Think again.
It's one of the more surer things in life, that's for sure, that and death....ya all gonna get 'em at some point
Old Sep 18th 2004, 7:48 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

yee ha!! luckie!!

I wouldn't go near an article like this.How does that make me a snob?

I like the UK.

If you think Australia is a bed of roses you are in for some surprises.

Get real. There are similar problems everywhere. If you don't like paying tax perhaps you should have a look at this:

www.ato.gov.au

Good bedtime reading for you

G
Old Sep 18th 2004, 8:08 pm
heehaugh

I am stepping in for Steven'n'Debi here. I think it was the response you gave to his opinion. The part when you said "are you looking for anti UK rants like this?" To me that was very opinionated, and getting a dig at him as if he doesn't understand what it is really like in oz. Let the man express how he feels, don't shoot him down! Very British attitude. Don't take this the wrong way but maybe you should just stick to living in UK and not bother with oz.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 8:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Granger
I am stepping in for Steven'n'Debi here. I think it was the response you gave to his opinion. The part when you said "are you looking for anti UK rants like this?" To me that was very opinionated, and getting a dig at him as if he doesn't understand what it is really like in oz. Let the man express how he feels, don't shoot him down! Very British attitude. Don't take this the wrong way but maybe you should just stick to living in UK and not bother with oz.
Why?

That's a strange leap of logic.

G
Old Sep 18th 2004, 8:30 pm
heehaugh

Either you are from another planet or your not in tune with things. Read the bit again, and read why steven'n'debi thought you were a snob. If you can't work that out then you may find you might also have problems picking up on what others think of you! I don't mean to sound patronising but I'm only trying to help why they may have answered you like that. There, that's simple and logical.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 8:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Granger
Either you are from another planet or your not in tune with things. Read the bit again, and read why steven'n'debi thought you were a snob. If you can't work that out then you may find you might also have problems picking up on what others think of you! I don't mean to sound patronising but I'm only trying to help why they may have answered you like that. There, that's simple and logical.
You are not making any sense.

I disliked their rant so I asked the original poster if he was looking for that kind of stuff.

How doe that make me a 'glory Hunter' or a snob.

I would not want to touch a newspaper article like that with a bargepole.
Now explain what you are on about because I don't have a clue

G
Old Sep 18th 2004, 8:44 pm
heehaugh

I mean this in the nicest ways, as just now I am laughing, as something like this would be cleared up in seconds on a face to face value but on paper its hard to express.

1. Do you want to go and live in oz?
2. Have you ever lived in oz?
3. And if you would not touch the article with a bargepole why did you bother asking the first question "Is this going to be a serious article"?
4. Why did you bother saying you did not like there rant, as they did say its either 'peeing down or you have to pay over the odds to do somthing, no beach or lake, summer lasts a fortnight at best' Please tell me what that rant is about because to me that sounds realistic?
Awaiting in anticipation!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.