Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update on Car smash up

Update on Car smash up

Old Dec 16th 2003, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Update on Car smash up

Good news received today my car that got smashed into nearly 3 weeks ago is a totally write off Yeah!!!!!!! At least I will not have to sell it now, just wait to see how much they offer me for it.

With 2 half weeks to go I don't know if we will manage to get the cheque before we leave, but at least it will arrive eventually. One less hassle to sort out now :PARTY: :PARTY:
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:00 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Woo hoo! Glad my sledgehammer helped!!

You never know about the cheque - if they have made the decision they might shuffle it through pronto.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Update on Car smash up

Originally posted by tinaj
Good news received today my car that got smashed into nearly 3 weeks ago is a totally write off Yeah!!!!!!! At least I will not have to sell it now, just wait to see how much they offer me for it.

With 2 half weeks to go I don't know if we will manage to get the cheque before we leave, but at least it will arrive eventually. One less hassle to sort out now :PARTY: :PARTY:
great news Tinaj
one less thing to worry about!
hugs
rach x
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:16 pm
Badge

Default Re: Update on Car smash up

Tina,
once you 'agree' to the amount, they should send the cheque with no delay. Warning: they will 'offer' you an amount that will piss you off - like the lowest of the various 'values' that you can ascertain - using trade prices, not private sales etc. There's not much you can do to raise this, if I recall.

BM

Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

My brother warned me that they might offer me some ridiculous price, he said to cut out ads from Auto trader for similar cars to show the current prices.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother warned me that they might offer me some ridiculous price, he said to cut out ads from Auto trader for similar cars to show the current prices.
What sort of car would you like me to advertise?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:24 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Brilliant news tina!

i just hope the tight a*ses pay you what it's really worth.

good luck with everything

take care

Leigh
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys. One of you nutters suggested it might work out well with it being written off, I hadn't even though of that. Welle you were right and hopefully we will get the cash in the bank asap.

A getting happier Tina
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by ayanem
What sort of car would you like me to advertise?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:28 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Thanks guys. One of you nutters suggested it might work out well with it being written off, I hadn't even though of that. Welle you were right and hopefully we will get the cash in the bank asap.

A getting happier Tina
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news Tina,

On the autotrader site you can get a valuation for your car from 'what car' which gives dealer, private, part-ex and trade prices. That might help you negotiate with the insurance company? Sorry I've looked for the link but cant find it.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:10 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

B**tards.

At least in Australia, unless the car is really old, you get to choose to insure "market value" or agreed value.

I would imagine it would be similar shenanigans with a market value claim here but if your car is insured agreed value then you don't have the extra stress of having the insurance company take the piss out of you after a road accident.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

www.autotrader.co.uk and www.parkers.co.uk are your starting valuation points. Autotrader gives realistic local information if your vehicle is common in the area.