Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update for any folks interested...

Update for any folks interested...

Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Update for any folks interested...

Applied in May 2003 under Skilled Ind. with wife and son on application.

Acknowledgement June 2003.

Police & Medicals requested January 2004.

Wife 20 weeks pregnant so have delayed Medicals & Police Checks until late August after birth of little one.

Visa validation trip anticipated March / April 2005.

The BIG move....anticipated October 2005.

Presently undertaking FA soccer coaching badges with the intention of setting up a soccer school for kids in Perth.

Very excited.

Three Legs
Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

traceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant future
Default Re: Update for any folks interested...

Good for you!

Can I ask what your skill is? Who did you have to apply to? The TRA?

Know 2 young boys (age 7 and 9) moving out later this year and another maybe a few months after you get there who would love to play footy!

Tracey and Ian
Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

Cheers.....

I'm a Quantity Surveyor by trade, a very very boring occupation...the builders equivalent of an accountant zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Applied for skills assessment to Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors in March 2003 and approved my qualifications & experience in April 2003. That formed part of our full application.

I couldn't think of a better job in the world than coaching kids. Outdoor lifestyle with job satisfaction. A great place also for new Ex-pat parents to meet up and watch their kids enjoying themselves.

I'll be on here 'til we leave so everyone will be updated on my plans.

Three Legs
Old Mar 24th 2004, 1:04 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

congrats on visa progress and the pregnancy.

I have read on here someone having the meds done when the baby was 3mths old. If the baby is not due til the end of Aug, why not have all the medicals and police checks done in Oct/Nov 2004, giving 12mths to validate & big move in one go, saving the cost of a pure validation trip?

walaj
Old Mar 24th 2004, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

A very good point my friend, but...

we are using the validation trip as a scouting / fact finding mission.

It is only my wife that has visited Australia before and that was just to Perth.

We are planning to visit Brisbane, Sydney & Perth with an open mind on all three...that being job prospects, property prices, open spaces, schools, opportunities for the kids, potential isolation in the case of Perth etc etc.

I may absolutely despise Australia but I somehow doubt it and as for the isolation side of things, I've lived on the Isle of Man most of my life with the Irish Sea all around !!!

We plan the validation trip to be around 3 weeks with a week in each City. Hopefully we'll get a feel for each one.

I see your line of questioning tho'.

Three Legs
Old Mar 24th 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Hope it all goes well for you
Old Mar 24th 2004, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

Nice one Billabong,

I'd be curious to see what percentage of people are actually like me, in that they've never actually been to Oz and are using the validation trip in the same way...to scout.

I bet it's a pretty large percentage of applicants.

Three Legs
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:06 pm

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Three Legs
Nice one Billabong,

I'd be curious to see what percentage of people are actually like me, in that they've never actually been to Oz and are using the validation trip in the same way...to scout.

I bet it's a pretty large percentage of applicants.

Three Legs
It would be good to do a poll on this

As it's your idea you should do the honours!

I'll reply

Nikki x
Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Update for any folks interested...

[Nice one. We've been in Rockingham WA since Jan 04. My son joined the local soccer club. Must have about 200 kids in various age teams. All the coaches either parents or dedicated locals but I'm sure with your experience you will have no problem setting up a club or joining an already established club as the coach.

All the best

Terry
Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

cafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud of

For what it's worth - get an employer to sponsor you if you can - even if you have to take a reduction in salary. 4 weeks, start to finish for the old 457 visa - no problem. Cost is about $5,000.

And then transfer to permanent - again a few weeks and no problem. Just need to be on the skills list.
Colin.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 9:16 am
the place to be

daveg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Interested how that $5K breaks down?