Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UPDATE: 5 months in!

UPDATE: 5 months in!

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:37 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UPDATE: 5 months in!

Great post, glad everythings working well for you. Fab pics.

Look forward to the next update.

Joex
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 6:19 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Really pleased for you that everything is going sooo well.

21 kilos weight is an amazing amount - well done to the both of you.

We are flying out to Perth on the 2nd Nov and I just hope things go as well for us as they have for you.

Take care, may you go from strength to strength

Shirley x
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
I had a PM the other day from Professional Princess wondering why I hadn’t written an update of our new lives. Well here you are, a short abridged version of the past 5 months on the beautiful Gold Coast…

Our flight from the UK to Singapore was great. The staff on the Singapore Airlines flight were lovely and thoughtful (as they have been everytime we have flown with them) and the journey was pretty smooth. We had a few hours to kill in Changi, so luckily they gave us Suzy’s pushchair back to make it a little easier. The flight on to Brisbane was okay apart from some turbulence, and Jonah throwing up all over Steve LOL. The only issues really were that Singapore Airlines “forgot” to put the pushchair back on the flight DOH (we got it back 24 hrs later)… oh and the sniffer dogs at baggage collection picked out one of our bags for no reason at all (apart from it had a 12 pack of Monster Munch in it for Chef101 LOL) but they were nice & let us go thru.

With the amount of luggage we had (7 kilos under our double allowance!) the Customs/Quarantine guys actually helped us push the trolleys thru the crowd of people. And a HUGE thanks goes out to Pollyanna for the advice of making a list of all “declarable stuff” in your luggage. We gave this list to the officials & they laughed and said would you like us to help you push the trolleys thru to the Arrival Hall!!! (we agreed of course)…… Mum and the family were there to meet us with a bottle of bubbly! We had arrived at last!

Mum had organised a house for us & part furnished it too, so we actually got to sleep in our own ‘new’ beds that night. It was great to actually wake up in my new home. It’s lovely BTW! (pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56984864@N00/)

We took it easy for the first 4 or 5 weeks whilst we got settled and did all the important things (centrelink, medicare, register with doctors, dentists, etc… got kids in kindy, etc). Steve actually was offered the 3rd job he applied for and is still there, working for the Woolworths Group in a hotel/motel as asst head chef. He is currently waiting for the verdict on an interview he went for in a larger kitchen (more money WOOHOO!)

As most of you know, I had set up a business with my mum helping people just like us when they arrive on the Gold Coast, etc, and so I got on with that pretty quickly, and also got busy pretty quickly! As well as that I started my own web & logo design business to make a bit of extra cash for myself and was surprised how fast that has taken off too. I am currently snowed under with work from both businesses!

We have both made loads of friends too, surprisingly though we haven’t really seen or talked to many people from BE except for TimberFloorAU, The Muppets, Jane&RussMiddleton, 68Mevy, Moneypen, coast101 and connollys_home…. Our friends seem to be Aussie, Kiwi & Malay. It’s really surprising as I had a vision of all the BE people just teaming up together! I am sure we will be able to catch up soon though as I am determined to get to a meet up. The pacific pines one is the same night as my future sister-in-laws hen night so I cannot go to that one. (sorry Soapy!)

Since we have arrived we have both been watching what we eat, and between us have lost a whopping 21 kilos! I would sooooooooooo recommend this way of life to anyone & everyone. I have never eaten as well in my life, but healthily which is surprising for me… the EX-kebab queen of the north of England! LOL

The kids are in kindy now; Jonah is in fulltime, and Suzy goes 4 days a week. It is great for them both… they are coming on leaps & bounds… the only down side being the fact that they are picking up ever kind of illness going! Currently Suzy has bronchitis too! She is getting much better though.

Well, that’s about it from our house for the moment…. We are going to Movieworld on Halloween to the Spooky Scooby Doo night they are having!

Oh, before I forget, thanks to EVERYONE for your kind words and support over the last couple of years. You guys have really spurred us on to reach our goal! Special thanks to DollyDaydream, Professional Princess, Rooksie, Loz, Suzy, Anne4Terry, GSB, Scissors, Gravyman (and Mrs Gravyman), Jane & Russ Middleton, Coast101, Wavy Davy, Mick-12, Fraser, Robos, Anastasia Beaverhausen, Wendy, Bricky Ade, phoenixinoz, mand8002, Rabc, ub40fan… wow and so many others – sorry if I forgot anyone!

Lots of love,
Claire, Steve, Jonah & Suzy
xxxxx
hello all
sounds like you got things sorted. cool
just wondering what is it like for chef work is there many head chef jobs around.and what kind of money are chefs getting?? as we hope to be comeing over next year if all goes well with the medicals. weare going to perth and will be looking for a head chef job fingers crossed
all the best
Dave
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:26 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad.chef
hello all
sounds like you got things sorted. cool
just wondering what is it like for chef work is there many head chef jobs around.and what kind of money are chefs getting?? as we hope to be comeing over next year if all goes well with the medicals. weare going to perth and will be looking for a head chef job fingers crossed
all the best
Dave
From Steve's experience you will find that the there aren't many Head Chef jobs, but lots of Seniors Sous/Sous jobs. Steve was a Head Chef in the UK for over 10 years, but here is an Asst Head or Senior Sous. The reason for that is the slightly different way that Aussie Kitchens are run. It seems to be a case of prove yourself and there is no problems...... Steve has been told that if he stays where he is for a year that they are opening another place at Burleigh and his current HC will move there & Steve will have the kitchen at his current place. The thing to watch is that the smaller the place the smaller the wages...... I saw an ad in the Gold Coast Bulletin the other week for a Head Chef job at a teenie Italian Restaurant in Broadbeach & they were only offering $30K a year for that!!!! Where as at some of the bigger places/hotels that is what the Commis gets paid. Best of luck!
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:28 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Nice post Claire. Glad you're all doing so well and am seriously impressed with the weight loss. Nice pics.
Originally Posted by seasprite
OOh you beat me to it! Well done with the weight loss! Feels great doesn't it. Good to read how well you have done, thanks.

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Hi

Really pleased for you that everything is going sooo well.

21 kilos weight is an amazing amount - well done to the both of you.

We are flying out to Perth on the 2nd Nov and I just hope things go as well for us as they have for you.

Take care, may you go from strength to strength

Shirley x
Thanks guys - and best of luck to you all. We feel great for the loss and aim to continue until we have reached our goal! (Which is a long way away too! lol)
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:30 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I find it comforting to hear how well you are doing.

We are quite worried Abdel wont get a job when we get there and its nice to hear you have done so well and encouraging as well.

Stop flipping worrying! LOL
Every week there are so many Chefs jobs advertised every week hunny, for casual, perm and agency work. HE will have no problems at all.

Claire
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Stop flipping worrying! LOL
Every week there are so many Chefs jobs advertised every week hunny, for casual, perm and agency work. HE will have no problems at all.

Claire
OK then i will stop worrying. ha many thanks
Dave
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nice

So glad to hear things are going well for you all.

We too are settling in well in Perth, we came out about the same time as you.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

Well done Claire
you are making a great job of settling and raising your family in Australia. Hope it continues to be so positive for you.
We are still waiting to be assigned a case officer and as I write its lashing raining and grey in South East London - cant wait to get to Melbourne - although I dont think I will be as efficent as you!
Love to the family
Louise
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Claire
great to have followed your posts through your visa process to now. So pleased to see you have made it and its all working out for you.

good luck for the future
Helen
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:44 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

I had a PM the other day from Professional Princess wondering why I hadn’t written an update of our new lives. Well here you are, a short abridged version of the past 5 months on the beautiful Gold Coast…

Our flight from the UK to Singapore was great. The staff on the Singapore Airlines flight were lovely and thoughtful (as they have been everytime we have flown with them) and the journey was pretty smooth. We had a few hours to kill in Changi, so luckily they gave us Suzy’s pushchair back to make it a little easier. The flight on to Brisbane was okay apart from some turbulence, and Jonah throwing up all over Steve LOL. The only issues really were that Singapore Airlines “forgot” to put the pushchair back on the flight DOH (we got it back 24 hrs later)… oh and the sniffer dogs at baggage collection picked out one of our bags for no reason at all (apart from it had a 12 pack of Monster Munch in it for Chef101 LOL) but they were nice & let us go thru.

With the amount of luggage we had (7 kilos under our double allowance!) the Customs/Quarantine guys actually helped us push the trolleys thru the crowd of people. And a HUGE thanks goes out to Pollyanna for the advice of making a list of all “declarable stuff” in your luggage. We gave this list to the officials & they laughed and said would you like us to help you push the trolleys thru to the Arrival Hall!!! (we agreed of course)…… Mum and the family were there to meet us with a bottle of bubbly! We had arrived at last!

Mum had organised a house for us & part furnished it too, so we actually got to sleep in our own ‘new’ beds that night. It was great to actually wake up in my new home. It’s lovely BTW! (pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56984864@N00/)

We took it easy for the first 4 or 5 weeks whilst we got settled and did all the important things (centrelink, medicare, register with doctors, dentists, etc… got kids in kindy, etc). Steve actually was offered the 3rd job he applied for and is still there, working for the Woolworths Group in a hotel/motel as asst head chef. He is currently waiting for the verdict on an interview he went for in a larger kitchen (more money WOOHOO!)

As most of you know, I had set up a business with my mum helping people just like us when they arrive on the Gold Coast, etc, and so I got on with that pretty quickly, and also got busy pretty quickly! As well as that I started my own web & logo design business to make a bit of extra cash for myself and was surprised how fast that has taken off too. I am currently snowed under with work from both businesses!

We have both made loads of friends too, surprisingly though we haven’t really seen or talked to many people from BE except for TimberFloorAU, The Muppets, Jane&RussMiddleton, 68Mevy, Moneypen, coast101 and connollys_home…. Our friends seem to be Aussie, Kiwi & Malay. It’s really surprising as I had a vision of all the BE people just teaming up together! I am sure we will be able to catch up soon though as I am determined to get to a meet up. The pacific pines one is the same night as my future sister-in-laws hen night so I cannot go to that one. (sorry Soapy!)

Since we have arrived we have both been watching what we eat, and between us have lost a whopping 21 kilos! I would sooooooooooo recommend this way of life to anyone & everyone. I have never eaten as well in my life, but healthily which is surprising for me… the EX-kebab queen of the north of England! LOL

The kids are in kindy now; Jonah is in fulltime, and Suzy goes 4 days a week. It is great for them both… they are coming on leaps & bounds… the only down side being the fact that they are picking up ever kind of illness going! Currently Suzy has bronchitis too! She is getting much better though.

Well, that’s about it from our house for the moment…. We are going to Movieworld on Halloween to the Spooky Scooby Doo night they are having!

Oh, before I forget, thanks to EVERYONE for your kind words and support over the last couple of years. You guys have really spurred us on to reach our goal! Special thanks to DollyDaydream, Professional Princess, Rooksie, Loz, Suzy, Anne4Terry, GSB, Scissors, Gravyman (and Mrs Gravyman), Jane & Russ Middleton, Coast101, Wavy Davy, Mick-12, Fraser, Robos, Anastasia Beaverhausen, Wendy, Bricky Ade, phoenixinoz, mand8002, Rabc, ub40fan… wow and so many others – sorry if I forgot anyone!

Lots of love,
Claire, Steve, Jonah & Suzy
xxxxx
Thanks for the update..........Hope we settle as well as you ( prehaps with your Mum being there has helped a lot too )

wishing you many many more happy years in OZ xxx
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:12 am
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

what a lovely update, its nice to read how well you and your family are doing. hope it continues.

bec and egg