Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update - 1 month in

Update - 1 month in

Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice
Default Update - 1 month in

Hi All

We eventually landed in Perth on 17th October, so been here nearly a month and loving it!!

I thought I should drop a post on to say Hi to everyone again as it is all your help that got us throguh the 'how do we do things' bit.

I had been to Perth before but my other half had never been to Aus at all.

We landed at 12.55am on 17th and had a large queue to get through passport control, we then had our luggage searched as the machine looked like we were carrying candy. But ala it was my OH's wargames dice in a bag. Took a fair while to prove which item was causing the probkem as we knew we didn't have any candy with us.

Agter that we went straight to the Chifley Hotel for a few hours sleep before morning (luckily provided by Company). After a few good hours sleep and a freshen up, we were off to meet the new Company and the apartment they were giving us for a few weeks until we could rent.

My OH could not believe how welcome all Australians are and particularly how keen my new company were to get us settled in. We went out for lunch (for the afternoon ;-) at Black Toms in West Perth for some oysters whiuch were lovely. Then headed back to the apartment to get settled.

I had pre-organised alot of things, such as bank accounts, but found ANZ west perth branch incredibly helpful with opening the account with the ID and also provided additonal account options etc.

Everything went pretty smoothly, including the renting aproperty, whcih I was expecting to be much more complicated. I would say this was definately made easier by me having a job before we started looking and confirmation etc. We were even able to find aproperty where we can have dogs, which is great so we now have a 10 week old puppy.

We hired a van for the move and again Rent WA in South Guildford were amazingly helpful (for anyone that wants to move check out yellow pages they are great, friendly and so efficient to dael with).

Had not so great news about the shipping, the boxes didn't leave the UK until after we did 25th October (we sent them on 3rd October) so they will be late arriving in Perth. Not sure of their progress as apparentkly the shipping agent this end can tell us nothing until its n its way from Singapore...so just one long waiting game. Even trying to find out the costs of clearing customs and getting stuff delivered seems hard...... FIngers are crossed on this one.

We have been thoroughly welcomed in all respects by everyone we have met, my OH is finding it very relaxing, my working hours have dropped right down and life is sooo much better.

It was odd going to the supermarkets and not knowing what brands to buy and what is what, we spent over $400 on nothing in our first trip to woolies, but now have found a local IGA supermarket which is nice has good range and we know what we are buying so the costs have come right down.

Anyway further update soon

Take Care

Jo
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all
Default Re: Update - 1 month in

Originally Posted by jossy
Hi All

We eventually landed in Perth on 17th October, so been here nearly a month and loving it!!

I thought I should drop a post on to say Hi to everyone again as it is all your help that got us throguh the 'how do we do things' bit.

I had been to Perth before but my other half had never been to Aus at all.

We landed at 12.55am on 17th and had a large queue to get through passport control, we then had our luggage searched as the machine looked like we were carrying candy. But ala it was my OH's wargames dice in a bag. Took a fair while to prove which item was causing the probkem as we knew we didn't have any candy with us.

Agter that we went straight to the Chifley Hotel for a few hours sleep before morning (luckily provided by Company). After a few good hours sleep and a freshen up, we were off to meet the new Company and the apartment they were giving us for a few weeks until we could rent.

My OH could not believe how welcome all Australians are and particularly how keen my new company were to get us settled in. We went out for lunch (for the afternoon ;-) at Black Toms in West Perth for some oysters whiuch were lovely. Then headed back to the apartment to get settled.

I had pre-organised alot of things, such as bank accounts, but found ANZ west perth branch incredibly helpful with opening the account with the ID and also provided additonal account options etc.

Everything went pretty smoothly, including the renting aproperty, whcih I was expecting to be much more complicated. I would say this was definately made easier by me having a job before we started looking and confirmation etc. We were even able to find aproperty where we can have dogs, which is great so we now have a 10 week old puppy.

We hired a van for the move and again Rent WA in South Guildford were amazingly helpful (for anyone that wants to move check out yellow pages they are great, friendly and so efficient to dael with).

Had not so great news about the shipping, the boxes didn't leave the UK until after we did 25th October (we sent them on 3rd October) so they will be late arriving in Perth. Not sure of their progress as apparentkly the shipping agent this end can tell us nothing until its n its way from Singapore...so just one long waiting game. Even trying to find out the costs of clearing customs and getting stuff delivered seems hard...... FIngers are crossed on this one.

We have been thoroughly welcomed in all respects by everyone we have met, my OH is finding it very relaxing, my working hours have dropped right down and life is sooo much better.

It was odd going to the supermarkets and not knowing what brands to buy and what is what, we spent over $400 on nothing in our first trip to woolies, but now have found a local IGA supermarket which is nice has good range and we know what we are buying so the costs have come right down.

Anyway further update soon

Take Care

Jo
Wishing you all the best Jo.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice

Originally Posted by LesleyM
Wishing you all the best Jo.
Thanks so much, we are really settling in now and just trying to get out and about and meet people so if anyone in perth wants to meet for a drink, the count us in
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:53 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like youve both settled well, good luck.
Kat xxx
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

happy for ya Jo!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:13 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck for the future. we are just over a month now and everything is fantastic.