Up Date From Oz

Old Nov 28th 2002, 12:16 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about
Default Up Date From Oz

G'DAY
Well we all seem to be settling in pretty good. My son is settled at school and my husband has a job.
We're still living with relatives at the moment but hope to be in our own place next week (not holding my breath). The weather isn't too good at the moment a little cooler than it should be, but its still warm to us.
It feels pretty wiered trying to get organised for xmas when it's warm. I went into a shop the other day and they were playing white christmas yer right what ever you say it was about 26 outside.

I just read a post about healthy kids and can i just say my son is loving being able to get out we go to the beach every other day and he has just joined a baseball team not bad for November. He has lost a little weight since we arrived 5 weeks ago, wish i could.
Anyway got to go but good luck to all waiting

Debbie Jo
Old Nov 28th 2002, 7:27 am
Banned

kismet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,
Glad its going so well for you and you are settling in.
Its such a nice change to read a positive post these days instead of all the backbiting and griping from certain members, who should if they are that unhappy in Oz ship out or shut up!!!!!!
Some people just love to be victims.
Keep us all posted and good luck to you and your family
kismet
Old Nov 28th 2002, 7:27 am
Banned

kismet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,
Glad its going so well for you and you are settling in.
Its such a nice change to read a positive post these days instead of all the backbiting and griping from certain members, who should if they are that unhappy in Oz ship out or shut up!!!!!!
Some people just love to be victims.
Keep us all posted and good luck to you and your family
kismet
Old Nov 28th 2002, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Up Date From Oz

Hi Debbie
know what you mean about the Christmas thing, we've made it to sydney so if you want to contact me I've left you a private message. Glad things are working out for you.
Sue
Old Nov 28th 2002, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Debbie,
Great to hear you have settled in.
We have just sold our house and broke the news that we are going to OZ (Coff's Harbour area) Feb/March 2003, our 8 year old is fine but our 10 year old (11 in Jan) is not happy.
He will not listen, cries with every mention of the word Austraila, any tips?????????

Hopefully Sue
Old Nov 28th 2002, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Debbie jo!

Glad to hear youve settled in ok, and that hubby's got a job!
I dont know if you intend to work over there, but as a fellow hairdresser id love to know how you get on, if you do.

Please Keep us poor sods still waiting, informed of how its all going!
Hope you all have a great xmas! it must be so weird, as you say, with it being warm and sunny, hearing 'white xmas' . With any luck we'll be out there by next xmas!!

All the best! Kathy xx
Old Nov 29th 2002, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

jambo_g is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Glad to hear you are settling in, I'm certainly looking forward to moving out.

I have read on some other posts about people griping on about the cost of living (and bread) blah blah blah!

Well I think you outlined it pretty well with your son, and to be honest this is one of the main reasons I will be emigrating.

The way I see it is no matter where you live, your gonna have to do the 9-5 thing getting up in the morning and going to work, coming home at 5.

But the difference is the quality time and free time and the things you have available to you in Oz in comparison to the UK.

Get up in the morning at the minute in the cold and dark, go home in the cold and dark!! I'm certainly not putting up with this for much longer.

Can't wait to move to the land down under

Graham

Last edited by jambo_g; Nov 29th 2002 at 2:05 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2002, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

well said Graham, aren't the dark mornings and evenings the pits ??
I can't wait to get up early and see / feel the sun.

tina
Old Nov 29th 2002, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending where you are in OZ sun can set earlier than you think, and no dusk to speak of either. However at least you see it when it sets, whereas in the UK, I wouldn't know whether it had set or not!

Mash...

Originally posted by tinaj
well said Graham, aren't the dark mornings and evenings the pits ??
I can't wait to get up early and see / feel the sun.

tina
Old Nov 30th 2002, 10:17 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by poggle
Hi Debbie jo!

Glad to hear youve settled in ok, and that hubby's got a job!
I dont know if you intend to work over there, but as a fellow hairdresser id love to know how you get on, if you do.

Please Keep us poor sods still waiting, informed of how its all going!
Hope you all have a great xmas! it must be so weird, as you say, with it being warm and sunny, hearing 'white xmas' . With any luck we'll be out there by next xmas!!

All the best! Kathy xx
Hi Kathy
The only thing i have had to do is get a licence to work as a hairdresser. You have to get your skill assesed by the education department then send your certificate off to the licencing board in Sydney if thats your area. I don't think you can do this until you get over but don't work it's no hassel. Just make sure you have a good referance from your last employer this must be detailed with everything that you can do.
I am not working yet as my son is off school soon for 6 weeks summer holiday so it's easier to wait, but there are plenty of hairdressing jobs around here so i don't think iam going to have a problem.
Hope i have helped.
How long have you been waiting? Will you be here soon?
No salon will employ without licence this is for insurance reasons.
Debbie Jo
Old Nov 30th 2002, 10:36 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Debbie Jo
Hi Kathy
The only thing i have had to do is get a licence to work as a hairdresser. <snip>
This post gives me an opportunity to say that I will be in the UK in March (mainly for the Migrate 2003 expo) with my colleague who is accredited to carry out assessments for those with trade skills (which includes hairdressers) for the purpose of being granted the relevant Australian Qualifications Framework qualification. He will be carrying out these assessments in situe => please email me if you are interested and I can confirm costs.

The two main benefits of having this assessment carried out before you move to Australia would be:

1. For those occupations where licensing is a pre-requisite you can work as soon as you arrive in Australia, and
2. It gives you (and a prospective employer) confirmation of your skills in terms of a recognisable Australian qualification.

Might be of interest to some ...

Best regards.
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 12:55 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Alan,

Where and when is the Migrate 2003 expo?

Cheers
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 11:00 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

At Sandown Park, Esher, Surrey on the 14th to the 16th of March.

There's more info about it at www.australian-news.co.uk (click through to details via Shows and Events).

Best regards.

Originally posted by Houdini
Alan,

Where and when is the Migrate 2003 expo?

Cheers
Old Dec 5th 2002, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

G'day Debbie Jo!

I Hope to be out there in Melbourne by Jan/ feb 2003. We started our application in March 2002, for TRA and applied for PR to Adelaide in May. Ive recently had STNI from Vic. gov. and also have a job to start whenever i want. I dont know if its different in Victoria compared to SA, but i know i have to get a certificate to work even though ive got the TRA recognition, and have to pay something like $100aud for it? I'll sort out the details later!

Once again, im glad to hear youve settled ok! Hope your'e in your own place by now! and hope you all have a lovely christmas! Keep in touch!

Best wishes

kathy xx
Old Dec 5th 2002, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Alan Collett
At Sandown Park, Esher, Surrey on the 14th to the 16th of March.

There's more info about it at www.australian-news.co.uk (click through to details via Shows and Events).

Best regards.
Hi Alan!

We hope to be 'outta here' by 14th march! but if we are unfortunate enough to still be here, then expect to see us at Epsom, if only to buy you a beer or 20!! for all the help youve given us so far!!

Cheers!!