university

Old Nov 17th 2004, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough
Default university

my partner has dropped a bombshell that she doesnt want to migrate to australia anymore due to her mother being ill.

We decided that as I have set my heart on going [my reasons are my own] that I should pursue this goal alone.

This makes it easier for me as there are less pressures to make sure everything is ok in australia and I only have myself to think about. It also has set me thinking that I could actually do something else with myself as i am alone.

So, my question is.....at 37 years of age, would I be able to study at an australian university as an international student? I meet all the academic requirements for the courses I am looking at. I have contacted idp but am still waiting for a reply.

Does anyone know of another mature student who has done this? or offer any advice??

Thanks

TP
Old Nov 17th 2004, 8:48 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: university

Originally Posted by trainee_pilot
my partner has dropped a bombshell that she doesnt want to migrate to australia anymore due to her mother being ill.

We decided that as I have set my heart on going [my reasons are my own] that I should pursue this goal alone.

This makes it easier for me as there are less pressures to make sure everything is ok in australia and I only have myself to think about. It also has set me thinking that I could actually do something else with myself as i am alone.

So, my question is.....at 37 years of age, would I be able to study at an australian university as an international student? I meet all the academic requirements for the courses I am looking at. I have contacted idp but am still waiting for a reply.

Does anyone know of another mature student who has done this? or offer any advice??

Thanks

TP
I begin a degree course in Feb 05 in Australia at the ripe old age of 36. Hopefully things should be a little easier for me as my father lives in regional NSW, and this will / should help at the end of my course when I hopefully apply for residency.

There are only certain courses available to international students and these can be found via http://cricos.detya.gov.au/

things to consider

Can you meet the requirements for migration at the end. You can only base this on the current situation, but you need to make sure you think you can meet the points requirements / skills or qualification assessment etc etc.

Do you have family sponsorship in Australia?

If you live and study in a regional area for 2 years the current situation allows you to gain 5 extra points for this. Worth it if you're in need of valuable points.

It's a gamble to be sure, but sometimes one has to take risks in life. Just make sure you cover all the angles as best you can and try, as I have to have various options at the end if one avenue closes.