Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unfurnished rental properties

Unfurnished rental properties

Old May 12th 2006, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unfurnished rental properties

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the definition is of an unfurnished rental property please?

I'm mainly concerned with whether white goods are included (especially a fridge!)

Thanks
TC
Old May 12th 2006, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unfurnished rental properties

Ours had no fridge but an oven and dishwasher.

Apartments might come with a tumbledryer or washing machine as well (from experience) but we have never had a fridge.
Old May 12th 2006, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

No fridge. Dishwasher maybe and oven. No washing machine either, or heaters (which you might need if you're in a cold spot for the winter)

We bought our fridge. Massive thing - so large I don't know how to fill it! It cost $1119. About average for a big fridge, though you can get cheaper by about $30-50 if you want smaller.
Old May 12th 2006, 2:16 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the definition is of an unfurnished rental property please?

I'm mainly concerned with whether white goods are included (especially a fridge!)

Thanks
TC

The only thing an unfurnished property will have is an oven. Some may have a dishwasher but that rare.
Old May 12th 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys...looks i need furnished then.

actually..i take that back...first i need my bloody police checks back so that i can get a bloody visa!!!!
Old May 13th 2006, 3:17 am
Account Closed

thanks guys...looks i need furnished then.

actually..i take that back...first i need my bloody police checks back so that i can get a bloody visa!!!!

Yes, but be aware that there were few furnished properties out there. The prob is that you'll be living with someone elses furnished stuff for ages, then your ship will come in and you'll have all your furniture too (unless you're planning on taking nothing). Space may become an issue - or pressure to move to something unfurnished quickly if you want to avoid the storage costs!

We got unfurnished, bought a fridge, got the kids a bed each (IKEA) and bought some nice outdoor wooden furniture to use inside until our stuff gets here. It's basic but it's fine.

But yes, do get the visa first ... though I understand why you're asking now. There's a lot to think about.
Old May 13th 2006, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks
TC

If its only white goods you are worried about, then why not rent them until you are ready. That why you are not paying for a furnished rental with all the stuff in that maybe you dont need.

K
Old May 13th 2006, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kimi
If its only white goods you are worried about, then why not rent them until you are ready. That why you are not paying for a furnished rental with all the stuff in that maybe you dont need.

K
that's a good idea! thanks...but who would rent to someone with no credit history in Oz???????
Old May 13th 2006, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

that's a good idea! thanks...but who would rent to someone with no credit history in Oz???????

try mrrentals, site add www.mrrentals.com.au, from what I can remember, they will take 1 or 2 months payments up front, (like a bond) and then you start paying straight away, (so you are always ahead) and if anything goes wrong with the goods, they will fix or replace within 24hrs. including weekends, public holidays etc etc.

HTH

K
Old May 13th 2006, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

I have no credit history here, but got a washing machine from Radio Rentals two days ago. It was incredibly easy.

I gave them my work details, the estate agent who rented us the house, plus my brother in law as my reference (he wanted 5 references but I told him I just couldn't provide them because I'd just moved here.... he said it would prob be ok.)
They did a credit search and everything was cleared and now I have a machine in my laundry. Sometimes having no credit history is good. Saying that, it probably reported that I have a bank account and the agent reported that I have money to pay. Essentially, there's no such thing as 'no' credit history... I'm sure it starts recording as soon as you buy something here!