Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

unemployment and children allowance

unemployment and children allowance

Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

yasser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default unemployment and children allowance

can any one tell me whether the migrant gets the un employment and children allowance once migrated or is there any policy.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: unemployment and children allowance

Originally Posted by yasser
can any one tell me whether the migrant gets the un employment and children allowance once migrated or is there any policy.
u should have been asking for jobs rather than unemployment allowance. Why would u think a government would pay people as soon as they land in aus???

The world is tough place dude ..so get up from ur sofa and start working hard rather than claiming benefits..
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:13 am
ABCDiamond

No unemployment benefit for 2 years, as they expect migrants to be self supporting for 2 years, either by having funds to support, or by having a job.

Child benefits are available, called Family Tax Benefit (FTB), it just about covers our school fees

Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by slippery30
Why would u think a government would pay people as soon as they land in aus???
They actually did use to, back in the 80's, but they got wise, and changed it.

Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yasser
see brother that its not a matter of just claiming the unemployment fund, its rather just looking out for contigencies.
one should always see both the pictures not just giving casual remarks quoting sofas.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slippery30
u should have been asking for jobs rather than unemployment allowance. Why would u think a government would pay people as soon as they land in aus???

The world is tough place dude ..so get up from ur sofa and start working hard rather than claiming benefits..
if you have any knowledge then you may share
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:43 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They actually did use to, back in the 80's, but they got wise, and changed it.
And quite right too. When I arrived I went to the job centre (or whatever it was called) and they couldn't help me unless I signed on! So duly did and got more than I was earning in the UK! And that was a time Aus was half the price of the UK. I have since paid many many times over what I received in tax for those about to knock me down.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I have since paid many many times over what I received in tax for those about to knock me down.
I agree with you brother...

I pay 25K a year in tax and have never claimed 1 cent in any kind of benefit. I do not mind paying my way and helping out people less fortunate than myself providing they make a genuine effort to help themselves first.

But I resent free loaders landing in this country and holding out the begging bowl straight away.

Wether they have spent their life savings on Agent fees/Visa applications or paying Snake heads to get a seat in a boat.... they should not expect the rest of us to spring them because they might not have a job straight away.

The best and only contingency is bring enough money to support yourself and family for at least 2 years and not expect the rest of to pay out.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
I agree with you brother...

I pay 25K a year in tax and have never claimed 1 cent in any kind of benefit. I do not mind paying my way and helping out people less fortunate than myself providing they make a genuine effort to help themselves first.

But I resent free loaders landing in this country and holding out the begging bowl straight away.

Wether they have spent their life savings on Agent fees/Visa applications or paying Snake heads to get a seat in a boat.... they should not expect the rest of us to spring them because they might not have a job straight away.

The best and only contingency is bring enough money to support yourself and family for at least 2 years and not expect the rest of to pay out.
Ha - there was another thread where moderator and few posters slammed people for similar comments. You nailed it mate. Every week there are posters getting in and just asked about benefits without asking anything else such as job, social life, culture, differences etc...first question is - how much money am I going to get.

I will leave it at that...
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Ha - there was another thread where moderator and few posters slammed people for similar comments. You nailed it mate. Every week there are posters getting in and just asked about benefits without asking anything else such as job, social life, culture, differences etc...first question is - how much money am I going to get.

I will leave it at that...
How many different ways do I have to tell you that when I post an opinion it's MINE, not that of a moderator? Whether you can see past it or not is your problem, but don't go bitching and complaining that mods are slamming people for their comments.

Anyway, can you explain then why someone asking what they are entitled to when they arrive is any different to this thread? I don't seen anyone getting slammed for wanting her unemployed nephew to be able to keep getting job seeker's benefits whild obviously in another country on vacation.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:28 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Anyway, can you explain then why someone asking what they are entitled to when they arrive is any different to this thread? I don't seen anyone getting slammed for wanting her unemployed nephew to be able to keep getting job seeker's benefits whild obviously in another country on vacation.
I have a theory about that one Dorothy. I did a search for threads with benefits in the title...and there seems to be a pattern to the responses people get...I'll leave it at that.

I'm also a tad suspicious of some of these recent threads about benefits & breaches of visa conditions. There was a debate going on on this forum recently about the numbers of members now posting from South Asia...some people seem not too happy about it. Lo and behold, next thing we have several brand new posters, apparently of South Asian origin posting threads about the above topics. One of them was already closed down by Pollyana due to the OP being a known troll...I'm suspicious about the others now...hmmm?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How many different ways do I have to tell you that when I post an opinion it's MINE, not that of a moderator? Whether you can see past it or not is your problem, but don't go bitching and complaining that mods are slamming people for their comments.

I have over reacted so that I retract - rem one thing tho, your actions and words on the forum unfortunately due to your pesona, will be deemed to be more of 'moderator' than 'personal' opinion.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
I have a theory about that one Dorothy. I did a search for threads with benefits in the title...and there seems to be a pattern to the responses people get...I'll leave it at that.

I'm also a tad suspicious of some of these recent threads about benefits & breaches of visa conditions. There was a debate going on on this forum recently about the numbers of members now posting from South Asia...some people seem not too happy about it. Lo and behold, next thing we have several brand new posters, apparently of South Asian origin posting threads about the above topics. One of them was already closed down by Pollyana due to the OP being a known troll...I'm suspicious about the others now...hmmm?
That's is exactly right - over the past few weeks the amount of posts with just benefits information gathering, may be prompted my over reaction.