Retic question

Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retic question

Question for all you gardening experts out there.

Right, we moved into a house with a retic system already installed.
The control box is an old battered thing and although it still appears
to work, I have no manual to show what the different controls do
or how to set the system. I also tried to look on the internet for an online
manual, but with no success.

So my question is, can I go into Bunnings and buy a new control box and just attach it???? or is there more to it than that?

Also, after pressing various random buttons on the control box, the system
started to work, however at the very bottom of the garden I had a rather
spectacular fountain, which I'm guessing would be at the end of the system.
Does it sound like I'm missing some sort of end cap?

Any advice appreciated

Steve
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

HazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant future
Default Re: Retic question

Not an expert but had to do the same thing myself.

The fountain is probably a broken sprinkler. Could be missing the nozzle or snapped off (this can happen if you mow the lawn when it's not down fully). Put your speedos on, turn the system on and have a look if you can see the remnants of a sprinkler head. Dirt cheap to replace the entire sprinkler, just make sure you don't let any soil/sand fall into the pipe while you're replacing it or it will just block up.

The controller would have to be the same voltage as the solenoid valves in your system (usually 24vdc but sometimes 12vdc). This is Australia so in theory you need a qualified sparky to do any electrical work.

What's the make/model no of the controller? Someone else on the forum might have the same model.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need an electrician to replace 12/24v systems!

If you really can't find online manuals you are probably better off going to Bunnings and buying a new controller and wiring it up.

Make sure that you first map the zones - switch the thing on and put flags by each head as each zone comes on - the heads can be almost impossible to find when they are off!

Then it's just a case of working out which zones are signalled on the new box - for which you will have documentation - and which wires lead to which solenoids.

Digital cameras are wonderful for this sort of thing - take loads of photos of the wiring before disconnecting!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

HazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant future

The control system will be low voltage but the supply will be 240v. The transformer is usually part of the controller unit. I personally would DIY but I was pointing out that legally you can't (there are plenty of threads on this)
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HazBean
The control system will be low voltage but the supply will be 240v. The transformer is usually part of the controller unit. I personally would DIY but I was pointing out that legally you can't (there are plenty of threads on this)
I dispute that - most of the controllers I've seen have an ordinary 3 pin plug.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Fair enough. Just speaking from experience as the one I had to replace was hard wired in and the one at the house I'm in now is hard wired in. Just make sure you emply an electrician if you ever have to replace the plug
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HazBean
Fair enough. Just speaking from experience as the one I had to replace was hard wired in and the one at the house I'm in now is hard wired in. Just make sure you emply an electrician if you ever have to replace the plug
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks guys for the advice

The control box is a Hugall Hoile RB1, if that means anything to anyone????

Steve
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:50 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Many thanks guys for the advice

The control box is a Hugall Hoile RB1, if that means anything to anyone????

Steve
Probably does to Mr Hugall.
To help with the Wol v Hazbean discussion, normally indoor controllers are plug in, outdoor are hardwired. Mine is in the garage and plug in transformer, at mums, hers in on the wall on the outside and hardwired, so you a are both correct.
I would strongly advise against Bunnings and other High St vendors. I need a new unit, High St inc Bunnings were > $200. The one I really wanted was $330. Went on Fleabay and got the $330 unit for $125.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
I also tried to look on the internet for an online manual, but with no success.
How about phoning the manufacturer of your system? They may be able to help.
Here is their website with the contact details:
http://www.hugall-hoile.com.au/

Edited to say: If you're in Ocean Reef, WA, then you should try these guys (they probably installed your system - seeing they are in Bibra Lake, WA):
http://www.hugall.com.au/

Last edited by ozhappy981; Oct 17th 2009 at 8:24 am.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
How about phoning the manufacturer of your system? They may be able to help.
Here is their website with the contact details:
http://www.hugall-hoile.com.au/

Edited to say: If you're in Ocean Reef, WA, then you should try these guys (they probably installed your system - seeing they are in Bibra Lake, WA):
http://www.hugall.com.au/
Cheers, will try them on Monday morning