Unemployed

Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Unemployed

It is tough where ever you are, and even a few years ago.

I fortunately got jobs fairly quickly in the UK (even tho got the no UK/local knowledge used on me) but my hubby has had terriable times.

Was unemployeed for 12+ month ie all of 2007 after being made redundant, and that original job took 5 months to find when we came to the UK from Sydney (he is English as well).

He worries about getting a job in OZ when we come back 2010-2011, but its not all that great in the UK either
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seasider
Well a bit of good news is that I had an interview today! I'm not sure if I'll get an offer but it's a start.
YEEEHAAAA! I'll keep my bits crossed for you
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck Seasider
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Well a bit of good news is that I had an interview today! I'm not sure if I'll get an offer but it's a start.
K sent for a positive outcome
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:36 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, all, it's much appreciated. xxx

I've been cagey about posting this but they rang me this morning and offered me the job! I haven't yet accepted - for a couple of reasons - but I've been chatting to my most sensible (and honest) friends all day and I'm almost decided.

I know they rang one of my referees this afternoon and he gave me a glowing report (honest too, I hope) although, when pressed for my weaknesses, said I don't suffer fools gladly. My potential boss apparently said, yes she said that herself yesterday. I did - those exact words.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:24 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I've been cagey about posting this but they rang me this morning and offered me the job! I haven't yet accepted - for a couple of reasons - but I've been chatting to my most sensible (and honest) friends all day and I'm almost decided.

I know they rang one of my referees this afternoon and he gave me a glowing report (honest too, I hope) although, when pressed for my weaknesses, said I don't suffer fools gladly. My potential boss apparently said, yes she said that herself yesterday. I did - those exact words.
Yay! Congrats Seasider....that's great news!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:33 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
we are feeling exactly the same as you, hubby driving round all sites etc and nothing trouble is he cant even get licensed not even a piggin provisional, he works in air con plumbing and fits "Installs, maintains and repairs piping, ducting and equipment for heating, cooling and ventilation of buildings or vessels"

despite this job being taught on plumbing course here the plumbers board dont issue licenses for this job

I would go back tomorrow this is definitely turning into a nightmare.

we have nowhere else to turn
Is he qualified in the UK in Air Conditioning...?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Well done, Congratulations on the job offer whatever you decide.

Claire
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:35 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Is he qualified in the UK in Air Conditioning...?
yes he trained in heating, ventilation and air con (HVAC) no fridge, electric which seems to be our problem.

For the visa his trade is called mechanical services and air con.

He fits air con in hospitals, office blocks etc and has been doing it for 25 years.

In the UK he would be classed as heating engineer or even pipe fitter/welder, been trying to get into pipe fitting, but cant seem to get a start.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 4:06 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
yes he trained in heating, ventilation and air con (HVAC) no fridge, electric which seems to be our problem.

For the visa his trade is called mechanical services and air con.

He fits air con in hospitals, office blocks etc and has been doing it for 25 years.

In the UK he would be classed as heating engineer or even pipe fitter/welder, been trying to get into pipe fitting, but cant seem to get a start.
I've just been through this with someone that used to work here... He had a NVQ2 in Air Conditioning and although he didn't go through with it (long story) we did a lot of running around and at the end of the day we were fairly sure that it was about 6 weeks to go through the hoops and get the equivalent necessary qualification here...
Old Mar 18th 2009, 4:23 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Just keep plugging away everyone. I tried a different approach today and struck lucky within 20 mins of trying. Rather than wait for a job to be advertised I tried approaching builders on spec while they are working on site. The first 2 took my number and said they would call me if anything cropped up. The 3rd said 'see you in the morning mate'

Previously I had been scouring the job ads in the paper and on the net. Every job I applied for I was told it had gone even though it was still being advertised. I had even trawled through the yellow pages ringing everyone I could think of, I was getting sick of the words 'no sorry'

So everyone thats struggling keep your chins up and a smile on your face, something will happen for you eventually. Good Luck!!!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:09 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been through this with someone that used to work here... He had a NVQ2 in Air Conditioning and although he didn't go through with it (long story) we did a lot of running around and at the end of the day we were fairly sure that it was about 6 weeks to go through the hoops and get the equivalent necessary qualification here...
could you possibly tell me how you did it and what is the necessary equivalent qualification and who in fact licenses you at the end.

We are in qld but at least it will point us in the right direction.

we have spoke to ARTC (TRA), TAFE, Plumbers board, master plumbers, skills solutions, BSA and the like and no one can help us.

I had a quick look at your profile page, hope you don't mind, and saw you were in air con, so if you could give any advice I would be so reliefed and grateful.

My OH completed a city and guilds 4 year apprenticeship in the uk in HVAC.

thanks

kaye
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:19 am
aka DORIS

He had a NVQ2 in Air Conditioning ...
was it definitely just air con or did it include refrigeration, its just it seems not having the fridge for us is causing the problems

thanks again
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

In WA there is a Careers Development Centre who are very good at pointing you in the right direction regarding qualifications etc and also careers choice re training and mapping UK qualifications to Aus equivalent. Here is a link to the WA one.

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/training/cdc/

Don't know what the equivalent is in other states but hope this helps anyone.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:11 am
aka DORIS

thanks for that Jan, I think they are called Deta in qld, who refer you to TAFE and thats where our problem starts TAFE haven't got a clue

Will give these a ring though hopefully they will be more on the ball

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.