Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

unaccompanied children - flying back to UK for visit

unaccompanied children - flying back to UK for visit

Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ms_Fi will become famous soon enough
Default unaccompanied children - flying back to UK for visit

We're planning on sending the kids to stay with my parents for Christmas next year and I'm after recommendations for the easiest route and airline for them to travel with.

When they go they'll be almost 17, almost 15 and just 12.

We're looking at sending them from Sydney to ideally Birmingham, or Manchester - but London Heathrow would also work.

Thanks,
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:25 pm
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of
Default Re: unaccompanied children - flying back to UK for visit

Originally Posted by Ms_Fi
We're looking at sending them from Sydney to ideally Birmingham, or Manchester - but London Heathrow would also work.

Thanks,
Hi there, having had my last 2 Christmas trips home to the rest of the clan seriously disrupted due to snow I personally would try to avoid Heathrow at all costs and would suggest you may want to consider direct to Birmingham or Manchester.

As for a choice of airline that is really a personal decision as only you know what your budget is and what your children want / need / would cope with on a long haul flight.

You may wish to send them via DHL or they may need the "luxury" of Singapore Airways, Emirates or Cathay. Whatever you decide I wish them a safe journey.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:26 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The could do Birmingham or Manchester with just one stop (in Dubai) on Emirates.

Any other options would be at least a 2 stop.

As the oldest is 17 they would all be considered unaccompanied minors.

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...ed_minors.aspx
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

They may not be able to travel on your preferred date.
Ours where only allowed on specific flights (which happened to be the most expensive ) when unaccompanied.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:27 pm
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
The could do Birmingham or Manchester with just one stop (in Dubai) on Emirates.

Any other options would be at least a 2 stop.

As the oldest is 17 they would all be considered unaccompanied minors.

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...ed_minors.aspx
I would agree, personally that would be my choice too. Airbus A380 Superjumbo non stop SYD to DXB, leaves SYDNEY around 9pm, and then transfer airside in same terminal (terminal 3) in Dubai onwards to UK.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Mine happily went Qantas as UMs and never had a problem, they were always well looked after and had good flights. They started at 9. I thought they were considered adult at 16 so the 17 year old wouldnt get any special attention at least from Qantas and I think you have to request UM status for the over 12s
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:58 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

You can ask for assitance on any flight/airline although some may not have the "minor" status almost all I have travelled with offer some level of assistance or checking process.

My daughter now nearly 19 has had assistance on some flights because of her deafness and difficult hearing anoucements even now. Some of the unaccompanied can be rather dire - left my 14 year old to fend for herself in transit with Cathay. But Qantas upto the Phillipines were brilliant for her at 15 even bringing her through the crappy security right to outside where I had to wait in a cage!

Whatever makes you feel more secure is a bonus