Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Washing Machine In Oz.Is the plumbing the same ?

UK Washing Machine In Oz.Is the plumbing the same ?

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:55 am
Just Joined

jimmy.guilfoyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation UK Washing Machine In Oz.Is the plumbing the same ?

Hi Folks

Possibly moving to Melbourne.

Assuming the house is plubmed for a washing machine , can I just pop in my UK washing machine to the hot/cold and draining pipe I would expect to see in the UK ?

Or do I need any special adaptors....etc

Just trying to work out if it would be better to sell the washing machine and buy a new one out there ?

Br

Jimmy
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Washing Machine In Oz.Is the plumbing the same ?

Generally washing machines only operate off cold water her (well in WA any way). The hose connection threads are the same.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

You'll be fine, threads are standard and laundry's have hot and cold taps (ours has a basin as well with another set of H & C taps), our UK front loader only takes cold water & heats is up as needed.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

You'll have no problems with a washing machine. But try finding a house with a laundry where you can have a UK dryer as well (ie not wall mounted) and that is much harder especially in WA.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: UK Washing Machine In Oz.Is the plumbing the same ?

Greta replies

Now is it likely that a rental property will come with white goods ?

I'm trying to decide if we should see our Miele washing machine and Fridge freezer before we come out ?

e.g will we severely limit how many unfurnished properties they are to rent if we say we have our own fridge freezer and washing machine ?

Do you think we should sell ?

Thanks again for the advice.

BR

Jimmy
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmy.guilfoyle
Greta replies

Now is it likely that a rental property will come with white goods ?

I'm trying to decide if we should see our Miele washing machine and Fridge freezer before we come out ?

e.g will we severely limit how many unfurnished properties they are to rent if we say we have our own fridge freezer and washing machine ?

Do you think we should sell ?

Thanks again for the advice.

BR

Jimmy
If it's unfurnished then it will only have a cooker, and maybe a dishwasher. It won't include a fridge or washing machine - if you are shipping anyway then bring them (especially Miele as they are quite expensive)
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Bring 'em...all the talk on here about not bring your fridge, won't suit Oz conditions, etc...we found was rubbish. Our £200 Whirlpool from Curry's works miles better than our $700 Whirlpool Oz fridge!

Our rental has hot and cold plumbing for the washer and the threads are the same. I would recommend chaning the plug on your washer rather than using a travel adapter, as washing machines draw quite high power and should be earthed (which you don't get on a travel adapter).

Our rental has a tumble driver, though we also brought our condensing drier from UK - but have not used either in 6 months.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Bring 'em...all the talk on here about not bring your fridge, won't suit Oz conditions, etc...we found was rubbish. Our £200 Whirlpool from Curry's works miles better than our $700 Whirlpool Oz fridge!

Our rental has hot and cold plumbing for the washer and the threads are the same. I would recommend chaning the plug on your washer rather than using a travel adapter, as washing machines draw quite high power and should be earthed (which you don't get on a travel adapter).

Our rental has a tumble driver, though we also brought our condensing drier from UK - but have not used either in 6 months.

Great sound like a done deal.

Great Forum ...this.

Thanks everyone

Jimmy
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

i brought my dishwasher even though one was included in the rental. glad i did as the rental one blew up Xmas day! we now use ours the other is in the garage.

As for dryers. our laundry has space for a dryer on floor or bench. you can have it either way up, has a spare control sticker for upside down use... (you get me?)

Bought in Aussie, has dry sensor, shoe rack etc, very good. And was about £210 from Good Guys. You do need to leave the door open in there though to outside as its like being in a sauna if not!

Make sure you peg out straight from the washer though if you up north, as the humidity makes your washing stink if you dont get to it quick.

S-j x

Ps. Bring the fridge for the garage! BEER & WINE!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming the house is plubmed for a washing machine , can I just pop in my UK washing machine to the hot/cold and draining pipe I would expect to see in the UK ?
The plumbing is the same but the drum turns in the opposite direction than in the UK.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Has anyone else found front loaders so much better than top loaders.

Our top loader here ripped up my linen pillow cases. It also leaves fluff over everything and it's a nightmare brown tape job trying to de-fluff if a towel gets in the wrong wash.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by renth
The plumbing is the same but the drum turns in the opposite direction than in the UK.

hee hee v v funny
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:41 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks

Possibly moving to Melbourne.

Or do I need any special adaptors....etc

Just trying to work out if it would be better to sell the washing machine and buy a new one out there ?

Br

Jimmy
Remember water in a northern hemisphere machine spins clockwise, in the southern hemisphere it will want to spin Anti-clockwise causing stress on yer machine..................................mm