Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK TV compatibility

UK TV compatibility

Old Jan 28th 2006, 7:51 am
Just Joined

TonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the rough
Smile UK TV compatibility

Hi folks, just a quick note of my experience with shipping a UK TVto Oz. We have a 32" Sony Wega (about 1 year old) and yes you guessed it - when i tuned it in the picture was great but no sound (expected this as we did our research). Anyway after some research I found the Oz PAL standard is the same as the German standard, but as I bought my TV in the UK the factory had set it to the UK standard. Some further research and I found there was a Engineers service screen you could activate with a code from the remote control (no mention of this in the TV manual). So I put the code in activated the service mode, set my country to Germany and hey presto I get sound now too So if your thinking of shipping a TV do a search for "Service Mode" and your tv brand or model number. When you think about it there are not many manufactures who will make TV's for one counrty only, it would be too expensive.

Happy viewing, oh and HI as its my first post
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:48 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK TV compatibility

Originally Posted by TonyMc
Hi folks, just a quick note of my experience with shipping a UK TVto Oz. We have a 32" Sony Wega (about 1 year old) and yes you guessed it - when i tuned it in the picture was great but no sound (expected this as we did our research). Anyway after some research I found the Oz PAL standard is the same as the German standard, but as I bought my TV in the UK the factory had set it to the UK standard. Some further research and I found there was a Engineers service screen you could activate with a code from the remote control (no mention of this in the TV manual). So I put the code in activated the service mode, set my country to Germany and hey presto I get sound now too So if your thinking of shipping a TV do a search for "Service Mode" and your tv brand or model number. When you think about it there are not many manufactures who will make TV's for one counrty only, it would be too expensive.

Hi Tony !!!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the info

where abouts in aus are you ?
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road

Nice one, So what was the code? I have a Sony, not as good but it may work!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hello
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:55 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

hi tony we have a philips black line S widescreen steve bought it a few years ago but in the setup on that it has just about every european country on it's list so i guess that may be the same
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

thanks, and welcome to the forum .
TJ
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:40 am
Just Joined

TonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Melchels
Nice one, So what was the code? I have a Sony, not as good but it may work!
I found these sites when looking but dont forget if its not here google will have it.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonypal.html
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/
http://www.avforums.com/

There are a few codes for the Sony depending on its age but "The truth is out there". I found it best to search by model number and use the phrase - "Service menu"

Good luck
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:49 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Our Toshiba was only 2 to 3 yrs old but didn't have wide enough frequency range. Ran it initially through UK DVD recorder which did work but meant we were limited to watching and recording same side. But have just purchased a http://search.ebay.com.au/search/sea...80g&category0=

Supernet 80g hard drive digital set top box which has solved the problem and picture clear as anything plus get ABC 2 and SBS 2 (only need more SBS if you talk foriegn language). We managed to get it for $200 including postage on ebay from Oz Auction Broker it turned up fine, works ok so far and was half the price of WOW or Harvey Norman and it has 28 hr recorder in as well.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:57 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

PS/ they have other cheaper non hard drive boxes see http://www.ozauctionbroker.com.au/