Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family vists/visa question

Family vists/visa question

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:13 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Family vists/visa question

If members of my family were to vist us in Oz, say on a three or six month visa, then how long after they return to the UK will they be able to apply for a new visa and be allowed to come back to Oz. Is there a set time limit in between visits?

Hope you understand my question?

Rob
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:57 pm
Gill Palmer

Default Re: Family vists/visa question

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
If members of my family were to vist us in Oz, say on a three or six month visa, then how long after they return to the UK will they be able to apply for a new visa and be allowed to come back to Oz. Is there a set time limit in between visits?

Hope you understand my question?

Rob

Dear Rob

There is no set time-limit, but DIMIA look askance at people whothey feel are abusing the tourist-visa system to to try to live in Australia, in effect, rather than genuinely "just visiting."

The worst-case scenario is that someone could arrive on a flight from London, the immi officer at the airport in Aus gets suspicious of their claims to be tourists, and in an extreme case, they would not be allowed to enter Australia and would be sent home on the same plane they arrived on.

For this reason, airlines won't normally carry people who have a seemingly-valid tourist visa UNLESS they also have a return ticket, so that the airline does not get saddled with the cost of repatriation, which it otherwise could be.

Having said that, though, I've never heard of an instance of it happening in a genuinely "family visit" situation. After all, DIMIA has one of the most powerful computer systems in the world, so it ought to be possible for them to check their records when they receive an application, and if they choose to grant another visitor/tourist-visa, I think it would be very difficult for them to renege on it afterwards. If they become suspicious, there is no reason why they cannot query the request PRIOR to deciding whether to grant the visa or not.

However, I wouldn't recommend frequent and repeated ETAs, because the flights are both expensive and tiring, as you know. If what is wanted is a tourist-visit that will last for more than 3 months, DIMIA has the machinery to grant it.

So if, say, your parents wanted to visit you for 6 -12 months, look at the website for the Australian High Commission in London and click on visas and citizenship. You can download Form 48R from that, and if your visitor is over 70, you can also download the Medical Certificate there too.

For more info about all this, please see the thread started by the Foster Clan asking about medication and something else. They want their parents to go out to Oz for an extended visit, and the info I have given them - based on our own family's long experience with this one - might help you as well. (The stuff about medication may not be relevant to you but the rest is.)

Cheers

Gill

Last edited by Gill Palmer; Jan 23rd 2006 at 7:00 pm. Reason: Typing errors

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:27 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Gill,

My wife's mother would like to come and go as she pleases, or as long as the DIMIA will let her. I think initially she would like to come out for around 5-6 months, then perhaps fly back to the uk for a couple of months, then 5-6 months in Oz...so and so forth.

We have applied for a visa for her for a stay longer than 6 months initially but i guess we will have to wait and see what the response is from the DIMIA.

Oh, by the way, she is financially dependant which helps

Rob

Originally Posted by Gill Palmer
Dear Rob

There is no set time-limit, but DIMIA look askance at people whothey feel are abusing the tourist-visa system to to try to live in Australia, in effect, rather than genuinely "just visiting."

The worst-case scenario is that someone could arrive on a flight from London, the immi officer at the airport in Aus gets suspicious of their claims to be tourists, and in an extreme case, they would not be allowed to enter Australia and would be sent home on the same plane they arrived on.

For this reason, airlines won't normally carry people who have a seemingly-valid tourist visa UNLESS they also have a return ticket, so that the airline does not get saddled with the cost of repatriation, which it otherwise could be.

Having said that, though, I've never heard of an instance of it happening in a genuinely "family visit" situation. After all, DIMIA has one of the most powerful computer systems in the world, so it ought to be possible for them to check their records when they receive an application, and if they choose to grant another visitor/tourist-visa, I think it would be very difficult for them to renege on it afterwards. If they become suspicious, there is no reason why they cannot query the request PRIOR to deciding whether to grant the visa or not.

However, I wouldn't recommend frequent and repeated ETAs, because the flights are both expensive and tiring, as you know. If what is wanted is a tourist-visit that will last for more than 3 months, DIMIA has the machinery to grant it.

So if, say, your parents wanted to visit you for 6 -12 months, look at the website for the Australian High Commission in London and click on visas and citizenship. You can download Form 48R from that, and if your visitor is over 70, you can also download the Medical Certificate there too.

For more info about all this, please see the thread started by the Foster Clan asking about medication and something else. They want their parents to go out to Oz for an extended visit, and the info I have given them - based on our own family's long experience with this one - might help you as well. (The stuff about medication may not be relevant to you but the rest is.)

Cheers

Gill
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:14 pm
Gill Palmer

Thanks Gill,

My wife's mother would like to come and go as she pleases, or as long as the DIMIA will let her. I think initially she would like to come out for around 5-6 months, then perhaps fly back to the uk for a couple of months, then 5-6 months in Oz...so and so forth.

We have applied for a visa for her for a stay longer than 6 months initially but i guess we will have to wait and see what the response is from the DIMIA.

Rob
Dear Rob

I hope you don't mean that your mother in law is "financially dependent" on you, my friend! I think you could find that that notion would upset DIMIA big-style, so I am sure you meant "independent." The way DIMIA look at it, if you want to be a "tourist" in Australia for 6 months or more,on a visa which specifically prohibits you from working, then plainly, you must be able to support yourself financially throughout your visit. Any other idea is inconsistent with the notion of "tourism."

So we are quite sure that your m-in-l is a lady of independent means, aren't we?! If you read the checklist at the end of Form 48R, you will note that they ask for evidence that m-in-l can support herself financially throughout the duration of her proposed stay in Australia. By which they mean recent bank statements, building society account books or whatever.

You don't say how old your m-in-l is. If she is under 70, and it is her first long-term tourist-visa, you might well find that DIMIA are quite generous.

My own policy with them has always been to write to them, explaining what I want on Mum's behalf and why. If they can see that one's reasons are cogent, clearly genuine and make sense,I have always found their staff to be willing to bend over backwards to accommodate Mum's wishes as much as their Law will allow.

My Mum (aged 85) is back out there for 8 unbroken months at the minute. That is what I asked for, they could see that my reasons for asking for it stacked up, and they granted the visa within 10 working days without asking a single question. Stony silence for a week and a half and then bingo, the visa one Saturday morning, giving Mum exactly what I had asked for.

I think much depends on m-in-l's age, and I agree that you might as well ask for 12 unbroken months (stress the word 'unbroken' in a covering letter) because the fee is about £35 whatever number of months that you ask for.

If m-in-l goes to Australia, loves it and decides that she wants to move out there permanently (as my own Mother does) then you enter a whole other arena called the Contributory Parent visa, about which you will find quite a lot on this site.

If your m-in-l is 70+, tourist and permanent visas are more complex but are still perfectly do-able. So if that is the case, please say and I can tell you more that would help, but I don't want to bore you with stuff that might not be relevant to you.

You'll be fine, and if I can help any further, I will. Just let me know.

Cheers

Gill

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:25 pm
Gill Palmer

Thanks Gill,

Rob
Rob

PS: DIMIA's policy is that they will consider anything you want to tell them at any time prior to their making a decision. If you look on the London website, you will find that you or m-in-l can e-mail them on firstenquiries@something or other. One is allowed to write a letter in support of the application, and my experience is that they will pay close heed to it.

Gill

Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:02 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Thanks Gill

Rob

Rob

PS: DIMIA's policy is that they will consider anything you want to tell them at any time prior to their making a decision. If you look on the London website, you will find that you or m-in-l can e-mail them on firstenquiries@something or other. One is allowed to write a letter in support of the application, and my experience is that they will pay close heed to it.

Gill
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lot of urban mythology about the requirement for a return ticket, some of it believed by airlines, unfortunately. As far as DIMIA is concerned, a return ticket is not a legal requirement for tourists however if you don't have one and they ask, you'll need to be able to explain why not.

As long as the airline complies with DIMIA's regulations, as far as I know they are not liable for repatriating someone refused entry.

And if an immigration officer looks at his screen and sees you are spending most of your time in Australia as a tourist, a return ticket will not necessarily impress him or her very much.

Jeremy
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:56 pm
Gill Palmer

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is a lot of urban mythology about the requirement for a return ticket, some of it believed by airlines, unfortunately. As far as DIMIA is concerned, a return ticket is not a legal requirement for tourists however if you don't have one and they ask, you'll need to be able to explain why not.

As long as the airline complies with DIMIA's regulations, as far as I know they are not liable for repatriating someone refused entry.

And if an immigration officer looks at his screen and sees you are spending most of your time in Australia as a tourist, a return ticket will not necessarily impress him or her very much.

Jeremy
JAJ

You could well be right that the airline would not necessarily have to bear the cost of repatriation per se, but it is either that or pay a very hefty fine for taking person to Oz in the first place, so it is as broad as it is long.

Here in the UK there is an immense problem at present with illegal migrants stowing away on lorries, yachts etc coming into the UK, and if these stowaways are caught, there is a strict-liability fine of £2,000 for the unwitting carrier. Whether or not the lorry-company or yacht-owner was aware of the stowaway is irrelevant. Australia has imposed a similar rule, and since the fine is higher than an air-fare, the airlines are not wrong in insisting on a return ticket instead, to cover themselves.

One airline (who had better remain nameless) told me in Dec 2005 that the "only possible" tourist-visa for Oz is an ETA. This was by way of explaining why their website refused to entertain the idea of a return flight more than 90 days after the Australia-bound journey,when I rang them because I couldn't get their on-line booking thing to work. So to this extent, I do agree with you and there are some daft myths around, which appear to be international myths, since the airline concerned was neither Quantas or BA. Singapore Airlines made no such daft fuss, so Mum travelled with them instead.

I also agree that the DIMIA officer gazing at screen can soon form an opinion about whether genuine tourism is involved. However, he does NOT have to wait for his colleague at the Australian airport to do it for him or instead of him. He can do it up-front, when Form 48R hits his desk, and neither the MRT or the Court would be sympathetic to the idea that our hypothetical man on the pre-grant desk did not bother to be thorough himself, instead of dozily booting the problem down the line to the airport colleague, methinks!

Gill

Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:25 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

You could well be right that the airline would not necessarily have to bear the cost of repatriation per se, but it is either that or pay a very hefty fine for taking person to Oz in the first place, so it is as broad as it is long.

I think that the point about airlines being fined and/or bearing the cost of repatriation is that it is whether or not they have adhered to the rules that is relevant - i.e. if a person appears to the airline, after due checking, to be admissible (i.e. has valid papers and fulfils whatever other criteria are in place), then the airline will not be held responsible for carrying the person if he or she is in fact denied entry by the immigration officer. Obviously, this is not always a clear-cut area, however - hence airlines' keenness to err on the side of caution.

Indeed, airlines have complained in the past about some of the more arcane wording on several of the UK's immigration stamps, which, they maintain, are not always clear, especially to non-English-speaking airline staff. The Home Office has revised some of their wording partly for this reason. ("Leave to enter" and "leave to remain" still cause problems, however, since to most people with only limited knowledge of English the word "leave" means to depart and seems antithetical to "enter" and "remain" - of course, in this context it means "permission".)

(Stow-aways are a different matter, since the airline is responsible for their carriage, albeit unwittingly: they ought, of course, to know who is on board their plane.)
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:42 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

so what's this medical certificate for over 70's and would someone need it for just a short 1 to 2 month holiday?
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:07 pm
Gill Palmer

Originally Posted by annqldau
so what's this medical certificate for over 70's and would someone need it for just a short 1 to 2 month holiday?
The visa which Rob is interested in is a sub-class 676 (I think) which allows the applicant to ask for 3, 6 or 12 unbroken months in Australia (or you can specify how long you want to visit for - eg 8 or 10 months, for example.) This sub-class requires applicants of 70 or over to undergo a simple medical examination(which their own GP can do) irrespective of how long they want to stay for.

This sub-class is totally different from ETA visas, which you obtain over the Internet and allow a stay of up to 90 days in Australia.

I know nothing about ETAs because my mother has never had one, so I've never had to investigate how they work. I've vaguely heard that applicants above a certain age can't travel to Oz on ETAs, but I really don't know whether this is true or not. If there is an age limit for them, I don't know what age the cut-off point comes at. I believe that there is no need to undergo a medical if one intends to travel on an ETA, but again I am not sure.

You do not say which sort of tourist-visa you have in mind. The information about sub-class 676 visas is all on the website of the Australian High Commission in London. The information about ETAs seems to be on the main DIMIA website, which iswww.immi.gov.au

I suggest that you study both, and you should thereby be able to get some definite answer to your questions. I hope that by adding to this thread I might be able to prompt somebody with definite knowledge of the workings of ETA visas to respond to you.

Cheers

Gill

Old Jan 26th 2006, 11:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ
The airline would not be fined if a person arrived with a valid visa and DIMIA decided to refuse entry. A return ticket is not a legal requirement for Australia, to the best of my knowledge.

An arriving tourist visa holder must have an intention to depart Australia and sufficient funds to stay for the duration. A return ticket may help if questioned, it is however not a legal requirement.

Getting out of Australia would be the problem of the passenger in that circumstance. Most people will pay their own fare if the alternative is a detention centre.

Airlines are only fined if they breach their own obligations.

And if you think about it, a return ticket doesn't help the airline one jot as very few returns are flexible enough to deal with this circumstance.

There are some countries where a return ticket is a legal requirement - eg if you go to the U.S. on the *visa waiver* scheme (although not if you have a tourist visa) - but unfortunately a lot of people think these requirements exist for other countries when it is not always the case.

Jeremy
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

jimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant future

Dear Rob

I hope you don't mean that your mother in law is "financially dependent" on you, my friend! I think you could find that that notion would upset DIMIA big-style, so I am sure you meant "independent." The way DIMIA look at it, if you want to be a "tourist" in Australia for 6 months or more,on a visa which specifically prohibits you from working, then plainly, you must be able to support yourself financially throughout your visit. Any other idea is inconsistent with the notion of "tourism."

So we are quite sure that your m-in-l is a lady of independent means, aren't we?! If you read the checklist at the end of Form 48R, you will note that they ask for evidence that m-in-l can support herself financially throughout the duration of her proposed stay in Australia. By which they mean recent bank statements, building society account books or whatever.

You don't say how old your m-in-l is. If she is under 70, and it is her first long-term tourist-visa, you might well find that DIMIA are quite generous.

My own policy with them has always been to write to them, explaining what I want on Mum's behalf and why. If they can see that one's reasons are cogent, clearly genuine and make sense,I have always found their staff to be willing to bend over backwards to accommodate Mum's wishes as much as their Law will allow.

My Mum (aged 85) is back out there for 8 unbroken months at the minute. That is what I asked for, they could see that my reasons for asking for it stacked up, and they granted the visa within 10 working days without asking a single question. Stony silence for a week and a half and then bingo, the visa one Saturday morning, giving Mum exactly what I had asked for.

I think much depends on m-in-l's age, and I agree that you might as well ask for 12 unbroken months (stress the word 'unbroken' in a covering letter) because the fee is about £35 whatever number of months that you ask for.

If m-in-l goes to Australia, loves it and decides that she wants to move out there permanently (as my own Mother does) then you enter a whole other arena called the Contributory Parent visa, about which you will find quite a lot on this site.

If your m-in-l is 70+, tourist and permanent visas are more complex but are still perfectly do-able. So if that is the case, please say and I can tell you more that would help, but I don't want to bore you with stuff that might not be relevant to you.

You'll be fine, and if I can help any further, I will. Just let me know.

Cheers

Gill

I am currently trying to obtain a 676 for my 79 year old mother. We move to Oz on the 17th March on a 139 visa and she is hopefully coming with us for 6 monthsand celebrating her 80th over there, because of her age we have had to get the medical done by her GP and gettinginsurance has been a nightmare. I have booked her flight but not insurance until I know she has the visa. I have 2 sister over there and one of them is comingback with mum for a holiday to avoid her flying alone.

Regards

M
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:13 pm
Gill Palmer

Originally Posted by jimarg
I am currently trying to obtain a 676 for my 79 year old mother. We move to Oz on the 17th March on a 139 visa and she is hopefully coming with us for 6 monthsand celebrating her 80th over there, because of her age we have had to get the medical done by her GP and gettinginsurance has been a nightmare. I have booked her flight but not insurance until I know she has the visa. I have 2 sister over there and one of them is comingback with mum for a holiday to avoid her flying alone.

Regards

M
M

Don't worry, my love! My mother is 85 now. If your Mum's GP said that he thinks your Mum is fit enough to fly to Australia and back "without assistance" then DIMIA will accept his opinion. Assistance doesn't mean family members travelling with her simply because you and your siblings are protective of Mum. It means medical assistance like the aircraft having to carry extra oxygen especially for her and suchlike.

I recently applied for a sub-class 676 visa for my mother. It arrived 9 working days after receipt by the Australian High Commission in London. If you get stuck, PM me and I will help you to sort it all out.

I'm sure it will all be OK. When did you despatch the application, and did you go through the checklist carefully and make sure you had included everything that they tell you to enclose?

Gill

Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:23 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

I heard thru a friend of a friend that someone was on a 3mth, presumeably an eta, and had there vist extended another three months while onshore?

Is this possible?

Rob

M

Don't worry, my love! My mother is 85 now. If your Mum's GP said that he thinks your Mum is fit enough to fly to Australia and back "without assistance" then DIMIA will accept his opinion. Assistance doesn't mean family members travelling with her simply because you and your siblings are protective of Mum. It means medical assistance like the aircraft having to carry extra oxygen especially for her and suchlike.

I recently applied for a sub-class 676 visa for my mother. It arrived 9 working days after receipt by the Australian High Commission in London. If you get stuck, PM me and I will help you to sort it all out.

I'm sure it will all be OK. When did you despatch the application, and did you go through the checklist carefully and make sure you had included everything that they tell you to enclose?

Gill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.