Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK State pension in Oz

UK State pension in Oz

Old Jun 10th 2006, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State pension in Oz

Originally Posted by carolwilk34
Your post on claiming back tax paid in previous year caught my eye. We are moving to Australia later this year.

Does this apply to everyone? This would be a good sum to help us on our way if it was.

Tell me more.

Originally Posted by sg1964
Hi ray2gill

I see in your post you mention that all the tax can be claimed back, you mean you actually get it all back.. And if you do how long does it take ?? thanks for your help,

Simon

Hi both of you.

To claim back your tax you need to fill in form P85, which can be downloaded here

It says that it takes 28 days, but some people wait longer whilst others are quicker.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Contact your employers National Insurance Office and request them to send you the forms to pay Class 3 Voluntery Contributions. We have been paying them for the last 8 years as our pension would be too much to lose. This is done by Direct Debit from our UK bank account. Don't forget your pension will be frozen from he date that you receive it though.

Have you also thought about when you receive your P45 and complete the forns to become non resident, you can claim the tax back which you paid in the current tax year.

Maggie
You may be interested in this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360338
I know I was. WE were just about to pay 10 years backpay of class 3 contributions and now I find out that we only have to pay class 2. Big difference
Old Jun 11th 2006, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

sg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi both of you.

To claim back your tax you need to fill in form P85, which can be downloaded here

It says that it takes 28 days, but some people wait longer whilst others are quicker.

Thanks WendyC
Old Jun 11th 2006, 6:12 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey
What happens to your UK state pension if you move to OZ? Not that it will be much by the time I retire, but I am Scottish after all!! Look after the pennies and all that!!!
more information than you can shake a big stick at

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/...ngoverseas.asp
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Contact your employers National Insurance Office and request them to send you the forms to pay Class 3 Voluntery Contributions. We have been paying them for the last 8 years as our pension would be too much to lose. This is done by Direct Debit from our UK bank account. Don't forget your pension will be frozen from he date that you receive it though.

Have you also thought about when you receive your P45 and complete the forns to become non resident, you can claim the tax back which you paid in the current tax year.

Maggie
To qual for the min state pension...10 yrs contributions for women...11 years for men! Best to contribute a couple of years extra though just incase future (or present) governments shift the goal posts.

Class 2 contributions if you are working overseas....Class 3 if you are not working.

Class 2 costs £2.10 a week....class 3 is £7.35 a week.

Regards
TC
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:35 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Maggie
the current tax year being 01april2006 to 10mar2007 i presume? (or the year you leave the country, obviously).
Old Jun 12th 2006, 4:47 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Smile Re: UK State pension in Oz

Originally Posted by sg1964
Hi ray2gill

I see in your post you mention that all the tax can be claimed back, you mean you actually get it all back.. And if you do how long does it take ?? thanks for your help,

Simon

The time can take a few days or several weeks depending which Tax Office you have to apply to.

You used to be able to get a refund of the tax you have paid, in the current tax year, i.e. from April, so the later in the year you leave the UK the more you will have refunded.

Give your local tax office a call and ask them for the forms or I think someone gave a web-link on this thread.

Don't count your chickens before you have their cheque in your hand though or in your bank account, they hate paying back money as we all know!

Good luck,

Maggie
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:19 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
the current tax year being 01april2006 to 10mar2007 i presume? (or the year you leave the country, obviously).
Hiya

The current UK tax year is 6 April 06 to 5 April 07.

Just to confuse you......... all Australian tax years run 1 July - 30 June inclusive.

Somewhere in the world may have sensible dates based on the calendar year

Regards

Jim
Old Jun 12th 2006, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=carolwilk34]Maggie

Your post on claiming back tax paid in previous year caught my eye. We are moving to Australia later this year.

Does this apply to everyone? This would be a good sum to help us on our way if it was.

Tell me more.
Hi I don't know if you mean tax on wages of tax on pensions!
But you certainly can claim tax back from your wages if you only work part of the finacial year. You need your P60 to do it! The UK tax office sorts out what they will pay you back and you should recieve a cheque for the over paid tax! Hope this helps, but you probably know this already if you are meaning pensions!! Sorry if thats the case!
Marie
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

Hi everyone

We have been considering whether to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions and I wrote to NICO for a pension forecast a couple of months ago.

I received the forecasts back today with an additional letter, which I thought worth sharing with BE.

The letter advises of the Pension Reform White Paper which the Government published on 25 May 2006, I quote:

'in response to the Pensions Commission proposals on Pension Reform. The paper includes proposals to reduce the number of contribution years' needed to qualify for a basic State Pension to 30 years (compared with the current 39 years for women and 44 years for men) for those who retire after 6 April 2010. For this to happen the law needs to be changed. The plan is that the proposals, will become law in summer 2007.'

For more information visit: www.dwp.gov.uk/pensionsreform

It doesn't make it clear if you can claim your pension once you have paid your 30 years - this could mean, of course, that you could claim your pension in your 40s. I haven't yet looked at the above website, but I thought this a good point to share with everyone who aren't sure what to do about the UK State Pension.

Hazel
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi both of you.

Hi Wendy,
I sent my P85 off in Janurary and still waiting to hear back from them. I have contacted them a couple of times but yet to hear anything. I just think if i get anything back it will be a bonus They have all my details I even worked for the government (Royal Navy) and knowing how that is run it dosen't surprise me things take along time to sort out. Just glad to be away from there.

John
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:24 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Maggie
If you look at the thread I posted last Friday you will see that you do not have to pay class 3 contributions, that changed in April 2000. It was deemed unnecessary to tell individuals though and was only publicised in the UK press.
My thread also gives you the current years costs for both classes.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...onal+Insurance
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:40 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

As it happens, Mrs Wol got a letter yeasterday from the Pension Service to tell her that her £0.19p weekly pension is frozen since she lives in Australia now.

And demanding repayment of her £100 heating allowance for last year for the same reason. We have been shivering in night temperatures of down to minus eight these last two months. If we lived in Jamaica - we would be entitled to the heating allowance!

Not complaining - but the world has gone completely mad
Old Aug 1st 2006, 8:26 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
As it happens, Mrs Wol got a letter yeasterday from the Pension Service to tell her that her £0.19p weekly pension is frozen since she lives in Australia now.

And demanding repayment of her £100 heating allowance for last year for the same reason. We have been shivering in night temperatures of down to minus eight these last two months. If we lived in Jamaica - we would be entitled to the heating allowance!

Not complaining - but the world has gone completely mad
Nice one Rog!

Made me

Regards

Jim
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

If you defer claiming your pension you get a higher rate (which will then be frozen). It increases by 10.4% for each year deferred.
http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/...al/choices.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.