Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Cheaper NI Contributions for UK non-residents

Cheaper NI Contributions for UK non-residents

Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:46 pm
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all
Default Cheaper NI Contributions for UK non-residents

I noticed in this excellent thread on information for returnees (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313047) that at the end there is some dicussion of NI contributions and pension entitlement.

On the site for the HMRC Centre for Non-Residents there is a section for paying NI contributions while abroad (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm) and a good leaflet NI38 (download here - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/nico/ni38.pdf) which tells you all about it. I noticed in the messages on the above thread that there is perhaps some confusion about which class of NI contributions to pay.

So if anyone is not aware of this, many British expats who are working abroad do not have to pay voluntary class 3 NI contributions, but can instead pay class 2 contributions. These give you exactly the same entitlements to benefits as class 3, including if you return to the UK, but are at a dramatically lower rate of only about 2 pounds a week.

There are some conditions applied to be eligible to pay class 2 contributions and you need to read leaflet NI38 to check.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheaper NI Contributions for UK non-residents

Originally Posted by Viking Man
I noticed in this excellent thread on information for returnees (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313047) that at the end there is some dicussion of NI contributions and pension entitlement.

On the site for the HMRC Centre for Non-Residents there is a section for paying NI contributions while abroad (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm) and a good leaflet NI38 (download here - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/nico/ni38.pdf) which tells you all about it. I noticed in the messages on the above thread that there is perhaps some confusion about which class of NI contributions to pay.

So if anyone is not aware of this, many British expats who are working abroad do not have to pay voluntary class 3 NI contributions, but can instead pay class 2 contributions. These give you exactly the same entitlements to benefits as class 3, including if you return to the UK, but are at a dramatically lower rate of only about 2 pounds a week.

There are some conditions applied to be eligible to pay class 2 contributions and you need to read leaflet NI38 to check.
This is true, expats use to have to pay Class 3, then around 2000 they became eligible for Class2. I just paid my 2005 Class 2 NI and it cost 106 GBP for the whole year. Its cheaper than Class 3 contributions and you get more benefits

Class 2 gives you Maternity Allowance, Incapacity, Bereavement and Basic Pension.
Class 3 you only get Bereavement and Basic Pension
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed that this thread isn't more popular. I'd be interested to know what
percentage of expats pay voluntary NI, so do you?
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:20 pm
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nun
I can't remember where I first heard about paying Class 2 contributions instead of the vastly more expensive Class 3 ones. But I know it wasn't Inland Revenue that told me!

The way NI contributions work, with a flat fee independent of age, young people in effect subsidise the older contributors and the retired (probably by actually paying their pensions). So I would be reluctant to pay Class 3 contributions unless I was over about 45 years old. I think I could do a better job investing that money by myself. But Class 2 are a no-brainer and worth having.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I think it's not popular because NI is so complex and people would rather just ignore it. Especially when it will cost them money.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 1:14 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I think it's not popular because NI is so complex and people would rather just ignore it. Especially when it will cost them money.

The cost of a Latte per week? Bargain...
Old Jun 11th 2006, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
It does seems like a bargain but I have a sneaking suspicion that somehow Gordon Brown is going to stuff everone who lives overseas who has paid NI. I have no proof but I just feel it in my bones. I am sure he will be thinking along the lines of why should we pay pensions to these guys/gals when they have abandoned my New Labour Britain.

The UK government have stuffed up on pensions big time and they have no way to pay the future pensioners living in the UK, let alone those who have jumped ship.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

I too, think he would "like" to screw us, but i think the reality is he can't just throw away international arrangements. Canadian Brits are already screwed by UK plc -- their pension amount is frozen the moment they retire / leave the UK. American Brits have a better arrangements i believe.

Anyway, just one more reason for all of us to have secondary sources of income (other than the state) at retirement.

I have been paying class 2 contributions for the past 4 1/2 years.

Originally Posted by NedKelly
It does seems like a bargain but I have a sneaking suspicion that somehow Gordon Brown is going to stuff everone who lives overseas who has paid NI. I have no proof but I just feel it in my bones. I am sure he will be thinking along the lines of why should we pay pensions to these guys/gals when they have abandoned my New Labour Britain.

The UK government have stuffed up on pensions big time and they have no way to pay the future pensioners living in the UK, let alone those who have jumped ship.

Last edited by neill; Jun 13th 2006 at 4:03 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Is everyone saying i can pay around £106.00 per year for until retirement age and be entitled to a state UKpension, even if i never return.

Sorry I need it in simple terms

Last edited by tabby; Jun 16th 2006 at 9:45 am. Reason: Oops!!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:09 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Does making NI contributions from Australia mean that I would satisfy Habitual Residency conditions so I could claim Income supoort if needed, while I look for work in the UK? I have British citizenship and passport but only ever spent a year there in the late 80's
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:50 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tabby
Is everyone saying i can pay around £106.00 per year for until retirement age and be entitled to a state UKpension, even if i never return.

Sorry I need it in simple terms
YES!

Just apply to pay Class II contributions.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:32 pm
http://dundasheritagefarm

heritagefarmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Save your latte money, they're not going to give you a pension anyway.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:39 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by heritagefarmer
Save your latte money, they're not going to give you a pension anyway.
How come?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:44 pm
http://dundasheritagefarm

heritagefarmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
How come?
Anyone born after, I think 1952 will not get a state pension, even if they are still in UK.
Do you really think Gordon and his buddies are going to send yours over to wherever you've emigrated to?

Don't know your age, but the younger you are at this time, the less you can expect. There will be no pension at all in 10-15 yrs time.
In fact, will there be anybody left in Uk to pay and keep the pensioners we already have?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:59 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by heritagefarmer
Anyone born after, I think 1952 will not get a state pension, even if they are still in UK.
Do you really think Gordon and his buddies are going to send yours over to wherever you've emigrated to?

Don't know your age, but the younger you are at this time, the less you can expect. There will be no pension at all in 10-15 yrs time.
In fact, will there be anybody left in Uk to pay and keep the pensioners we already have?
I assume there's some sarcasm in your post. There will be modifications to the
pension, as there just were in the last budget, but its not politically feasible
to eliminate it. Class II contributions at GBP 106 per year are a no brianer.
I'm certainly expecting to get pensions from both the US and the UK, in about
20 years. I won't predict the amounts, but they will be useful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.