Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Speeding Points ???

UK Speeding Points ???

Old Feb 13th 2005, 4:26 pm
joveazey

Default UK Speeding Points ???

Hi all,

Can someone tell me what happens when you go to Oz with UK speeding points on your licence ? Does it affect insurance etc.?

Thanks

Jo

Old Feb 13th 2005, 4:29 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Speeding Points ???

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi all,

Can someone tell me what happens when you go to Oz with UK speeding points on your licence ? Does it affect insurance etc.?

Thanks

Jo
Jo

Can't give you an answer but for those who maybe can - suggest you clarify if they are "still live" or "time expired" - could make a difference.

Regards

Jim
Old Feb 13th 2005, 4:33 pm
joveazey

Hi,

I think they stay on your licence for 4 years don't they ? If so, mine expire in June and November this year.

Jo

Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Tincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi,

I think they stay on your licence for 4 years don't they ? If so, mine expire in June and November this year.

Jo
UK Speeding points are legally enforced on your license for 3 years but have to stay on your license for 4. So you now have a clean license (albeit - they are still written on it)

Cheers

Tincx.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tincx
UK Speeding points are legally enforced on your license for 3 years but have to stay on your license for 4. So you now have a clean license (albeit - they are still written on it)
Cheers
Tincx.
Ooh! What happens if you're still within the 3 years though? Does it affect your reg in Oz?
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:53 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

AFAIK your UK points have no effect on licensing or insurance in Oz.
To get your licence you only need to show a valid UK licence, they do not consider if it is clean or not. You may need to sit an aptitude test, depending on which state you're going to and whether they have changed the rules again. Search on here for more info, the rules changed in lots of states at the beginnning of the year.

For insurance, they never asked us for previous history from the UK, and I didn't offer the info either. I just said how long we'd been driving and that we had clean Oz licences. We did get a 'No claims' letter from our UK insurer to show to Oz insurer. As it happened they took our word for it.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandChris

For insurance, they never asked us for previous history from the UK, and I didn't offer the info either. I just said how long we'd been driving and that we had clean Oz licences. We did get a 'No claims' letter from our UK insurer to show to Oz insurer. As it happened they took our word for it.
It is best to be honest about your record.

They may take your word for it and not be interested in your previous record but you can bet they will be VERY interested in it if you ever have to make a claim.
If you are not honest about your driving history you may find that your insurance will be invalid.

Best read the small print carefully. Also worth bearing in mind that insurance companies tend to be multinational and will have easy access to records.

G
Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Hubby had a a few speeding points on his UK licence, which had to be transferred to his QLD licence (computer info only). It is advisable that you show a history of your previous insurance if you want a good quality policy over here. A no claims certificate usually does the trick. As mentioned above, any history you do not mention could mean your licence or insurance being void.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:41 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

I asked this question when I picked up my NSW license. 'We don't care' was the answer from the supervisor in my local RTA office.