Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

uk school options/ oz equivilant

uk school options/ oz equivilant

Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default uk school options/ oz equivilant

hello

Just wondering if anyone can give me some information.

My son came to me last night and said hed been thinking about oz and what it might be like there (long story) i said great but then he started saying but ive taken my options now, hes 14 in year 9 of secondary school.

I said id ask what the equivialent options might be in oz and see if anyone could advice.

hes taken, english, history, maths, IT and media studies (from what i could understand)

How would he slot into the oz system, if at all, in these subjects?

How did your teenager adapt to schooling in oz. any adivice would be more that helpful.

thanks in anticipation

lolly.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk school options/ oz equivilant

Originally Posted by lollyno1
hello

My son came to me last night and said hed been thinking about oz and what it might be like there (long story) i said great but then he started saying but ive taken my options now, hes 14 in year 9 of secondary school.

I said id ask what the equivialent options might be in oz and see if anyone could advice.

hes taken, english, history, maths, IT and media studies (from what i could understand)

How did your teenager adapt to schooling in oz. any adivice would be more that helpful.

thanks in anticipation

lolly.
As a parent and ex/teacher - the curriculum varies from state to state.

History would be a problem as UK/european history is not really taught to the same degree for obvious reasons - maths, English no worries there at all IT no problem with that as far as i can see- Media no worries there either

Sarah
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

In Queensland they choose their options in year 10 which seems to fit in very well with where your son is right now.

Just to help you:
My daughter took Modern History in the UK, having selected this in year 10 as an option, she came here and went into year 11 (choose to go ahead not back) and took this option again. She has really enjoyed this subject here and in the UK, so much that she now wishes to do a teaching degree with the view of teaching modern history. She has found the quality of the syllabus very good here as did her brother in the year above. So please don't worry too much. From what I experienced and many have said, the education system here deals very well with migrants.

From what I have gathered on here - things do vary state to state.

Good luck

Tracey
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Hi,

In Queensland they choose their options in year 10 which seems to fit in very well with where your son is right now.

Just to help you:
My daughter took Modern History in the UK, having selected this in year 10 as an option, she came here and went into year 11 (choose to go ahead not back) and took this option again. She has really enjoyed this subject here and in the UK, so much that she now wishes to do a teaching degree with the view of teaching modern history. She has found the quality of the syllabus very good here as did her brother in the year above. So please don't worry too much. From what I experienced and many have said, the education system here deals very well with migrants.

From what I have gathered on here - things do vary state to state.

Good luck

Tracey
In the gold coast we choose are options in year 9
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Irish Aussie Teen
In the gold coast we choose are options in year 9
Do you do the year 10 certificate then???? How long have you been here and did you find the changeover went well?

Tracey
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Do you do the year 10 certificate then????
The what?!
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irish Aussie Teen
The what?!
We're near Brissy, and the schools round here do a year 10 certificate, after which is they wanted they could leave school. (this is now changing and you have to have work or a course to go to until year 11). However, both of my children missed it as they joined in year 11 and 12.

Sorry don't know much more as we have only caught the tail end of schooling here.

Tracey.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

We're near Brissy, and the schools round here do a year 10 certificate, after which is they wanted they could leave school. (this is now changing and you have to have work or a course to go to until year 11). However, both of my children missed it as they joined in year 11 and 12.

Sorry don't know much more as we have only caught the tail end of schooling here.

Tracey.
Ok im not sure if we do as im only in year 8 so i dont know much about any other years.Thanx
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lollyno1
hello

thanks in anticipation

lolly.
Hi,

When do you plan to move to Oz?? We have a son, also yr 9, he isn't that keen on the move, just wondered how your son felt about it? Sorry its not related to schools in Oz. We are in early stages yet, so would be at least a yr till we went. Maybe the Boys could getin touch?? he is on msn.

Thanks
claire
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flump
Hi,

When do you plan to move to Oz?? We have a son, also yr 9, he isn't that keen on the move, just wondered how your son felt about it? Sorry its not related to schools in Oz. We are in early stages yet, so would be at least a yr till we went. Maybe the Boys could getin touch?? he is on msn.

Thanks
claire
Also worth noting that this forum has a section specifically for kids/teenagers - you'll find it here .
Old Jun 19th 2006, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flump
Hi,

Thanks
claire

claire have sent you a pm

regards

lolly
Old Jun 19th 2006, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello

thanks for the replies. I told him about the replies on here and he seemed interested!!!!

I also told him about the forum for teenagers so hopefully he will have a sneaky look some time.

He did ask "what about an pre armed forces course?" is there an equivalent to that in oz?

thanks once again.

lolly