Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beware!! Car thieves in Byron Bay!!

Beware!! Car thieves in Byron Bay!!

Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future
Default Beware!! Car thieves in Byron Bay!!

We are in Australia at the moment, on a validation trip.
Just spent two weeks on the Sunshine Coast which was great. Really liked it.
I had hired a car and we decided to drive south and have a look at the Gold Coast and Byron Bay area.
Arrived in Byron Bay and went to look at the lighthouse. Parked the car at the bottom of the hill, quite a few other cars there and constant flow of traffic, certainly not the middle of nowhere!
Came back about an hour later to find the window smashed and several things missing.
Nothing of great value but all personal items that were in a bag on the back seat.
When I went to the police station to report it someone else was there reporting an identical incident!
Apparently it has happenned quite a few times lately in the area.
Apart from this we have had a great time, just thought I would point this out to anyone heading in this direction, just be careful where you park and if you go to the lighthouse in Byron Bay ...... pay the $6 to park at the top of the hill !!!!!
Alison
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

mickandtrace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Beware!! Car thieves in Byron Bay!!

hi Alison

Tracey speaking to you. Just read your post, cant believe that that has happened to you I hop it has not put you off anything. Anyway we are back home now and hating every moment of it. how is all going anyway.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

That $6 is a ripoff though, we parked at the bottom of the hill as well.

I'm amazed your car was broken into there, like you say, lots of traffic and people going by all the time.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

While I'm sorry for the experience you had to go through - its a tourist area, like the New Forest, the Lake District, the South Downs......and the same thing happens in all of those
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, we also have problems on the South (uk) coast, wind/kitesurfers cars often get nicked as they tend to leave the keys somewhere daft on the car when out on the water! Peak District also pretty bad for thefts from cars. (used to police it!). Gotta be expected, bit of a blow when on hols though. Sorry to hear...
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pata
We are in Australia at the moment, on a validation trip.
Just spent two weeks on the Sunshine Coast which was great. Really liked it.
I had hired a car and we decided to drive south and have a look at the Gold Coast and Byron Bay area.
Arrived in Byron Bay and went to look at the lighthouse. Parked the car at the bottom of the hill, quite a few other cars there and constant flow of traffic, certainly not the middle of nowhere!
Came back about an hour later to find the window smashed and several things missing.
Nothing of great value but all personal items that were in a bag on the back seat.
When I went to the police station to report it someone else was there reporting an identical incident!
Apparently it has happenned quite a few times lately in the area.
Apart from this we have had a great time, just thought I would point this out to anyone heading in this direction, just be careful where you park and if you go to the lighthouse in Byron Bay ...... pay the $6 to park at the top of the hill !!!!!
Alison

no matter where you are in the world u would not leave a bag on a seat in a car AUSTRALIA included. It is just common sense
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:49 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

What a pain!!
Unfortunately it doesn't matter where you are in the world ,if you leave something on display they like the look of ,then they'll have a go.
Don't give them the opportunity to get their shopping cheap next time!!
I hope what they got wasn't too expensive to replace.