Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK/Oz Police Transfer

UK/Oz Police Transfer

Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

The Hastie Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK/Oz Police Transfer

I am a nurse and my husband a police officer in the UK. We are applying for PR and he plans to apply to Queensland Police for a transfer through their PACE recruitment. Just wondering if there was anyone out there who has recently applied or done the course who might be able to offer any advice or help. Any useful tips etc would be much appreciated! He loves his job and a transfer is the only way I can get him to go!!
Carolyn
Old Nov 14th 2004, 11:58 am
Just Joined

pc560 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: UK/Oz Police Transfer

Originally Posted by The Hastie Family
I am a nurse and my husband a police officer in the UK. We are applying for PR and he plans to apply to Queensland Police for a transfer through their PACE recruitment. Just wondering if there was anyone out there who has recently applied or done the course who might be able to offer any advice or help. Any useful tips etc would be much appreciated! He loves his job and a transfer is the only way I can get him to go!!
Carolyn

Hi did you hear the SA Police are looking closley at recruiting british officers soon!!?
Old Nov 17th 2004, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/Oz Police Transfer

Originally Posted by The Hastie Family
Carolyn
Hi Carolyn, sorry haven't replied sooner! I'm a nurse hubby a copper too so in same situation. The PACE bridging programme unfortunately isn't a simple a transfer. He will have to go through the selection process and interviews all over again and its tougher than the UK. Everything else is basically the same but the physical test is more aggressive and it has to be completed in full unifrom and kit, they like officers to have their bronze medallion life saving cert plus theres a swim test. If successful theres 16 weeks training at police academy, followed by the probationary period up to year (this can be shortened depending on previous service experience). They normally like to stick you in the roughest parts for the probationary period (Ipswich,Logan etc) Only senior constables get to police the nice parts of Qld! They usually like UK officers who have at least 5 yrs service and wages generally start from $54k per year. Uniforms are provided but they don't have baulistic/stab proof vests (despite carrying side arms) and the hand cuffs aren't the ridgid ones (they're the old fashioned chain ones). Shifts are about the same but there are loads more benefits (mortgages, credit cards etc). Hope this helps!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Hi Glittababe - hope things are going well for you there? Just wondered if your hubby has applied and how far through the process he is? We are applying for PR next year and hope to be in Oz by the end of 2005 (I'm also a nurse and hubby in the Met). We are really undecided between Perth & Brisbane as WA now also introducing a lateral entry scheme for overseas/interstate coppers, tho still need to go through normal application as with QLD.
Be really interesting to hear how your hubby gets on and how he finds it, if you can spare the time to keep us potsed!
Good luck,

HB x
Old Nov 17th 2004, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

The Hastie Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Glittababe, there's obviously something about nurses and cops! Thanks so much for your reply, really helpful. My mum and dad are in Oz at the mo doing a bit of a rekkie (they are emigrating with us) and they met a cop from Edinburgh who has just gone through the PACE training so he has e-mailed us with loads of info. Is your hubby actually in the QLD police or applying at the moment? Really keen to here what time scales etc are like for application process. The difficult bit is having to wait until PR comes through before being able to apply and then do you just emigrate or wait to see if you have job first??!!
Look forward to seeing lots more posts.
Carolyn
Old Nov 17th 2004, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

galenco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

My husband is also a Police Officer, I am a hairdresser. We too are confused as to whether to go for Perth or Queensland. WE were over there in August this year and spoke to recruiting with both forces. It is very difficult to make a decision as both sides have very nice areas. Also a problem having to wait for residency before being able to apply. Perth requires 26 weeks training and it could take up to 2 years to reach Senior Constable. They also require you to complete your training towards a degree.
Bye for now.

Anna