Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK/Oz Equivalents

UK/Oz Equivalents

Old Sep 21st 2008, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK/Oz Equivalents

Hi everyone

Don't know if this is a daft idea or even a negative one, but would love to know your ideas...

As I browsed a pharmacy for aeons the other day trying to decide which moisturiser was the best alternative to the one I used in the UK, it occurred to me 'Wouldn't it be great if there was a list somewhere, along the lines of if you used Brand X in the UK/Ireland, try Brand Y in Australia'. Obviously I'm being lazy and unadventurous, (though it would save me a fortune in trying stuff I end up not liking!!) but out of curiosity, has anyone any nominations for a product/food/experience/whatever they use in Australia which is a good alternative to the that used in the UK?

Answers on a postcard please...
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all
Default Re: UK/Oz Equivalents

Hi All,

I agree, I'd also like to see more trial sizes. You know what it's like when you buy something and you've bought a huge pot of the stuff and hate it. You end up using it or feeling guilty if you throw it away.

More trial sizes please, especially if they're free!

Maybe I'm just a neophile and like trying things new, oooh look shiny new thing. I'm a marketers delights and a husbands horror

This doesn't help at all but I will watch this thread closely.

Thanks all.

M
Old Sep 21st 2008, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Hellmans -> Best Foods

Douwe Egberts -> Moccona

Sure -> Rexona
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Coke > Coke
L'Oreal > L'Oreal
Nivea > Nivea
St Tropez > St Tropez
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure I've seen most toiletry/moisturiser brands out here. Definitely seen:

Neutrogena
Olay (all different types within that brand)
Dr Lewinns
Clinique
Clarins
Johnson&Johnson
Dove
Clearasil
Clean&Clear
L'oreal

The one thing I couldn't find initially was an equivalent to the really cheap own brand that Superdrug & Boots do - but if you find a Priceline they have a similar kind of thing ($4.99 for a tube of face mask goo, compared with the £1-2 I paid in the UK for it).

When I was in the UK I used to use really basic brands but when I moved here I decided to treat myself a bit more LOL. I now use the Olay "Total Effects" stuff for Blemish-Prone skin. It's meant to help clear up skin (and it does appear to work for me) and also has anti-aging goo in it... which I decided to go for as although I'm only 30 I figured the extra sun exposure I get here (even when wearing sun cream) would possibly accelerate that aging thing
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:36 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Persil --> Omo
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
I'm sure I've seen most toiletry/moisturiser brands out here. Definitely seen:

Neutrogena
Olay (all different types within that brand)
Dr Lewinns
Clinique
Clarins
Johnson&Johnson
Dove
Clearasil
Clean&Clear
L'oreal

The one thing I couldn't find initially was an equivalent to the really cheap own brand that Superdrug & Boots do - but if you find a Priceline they have a similar kind of thing ($4.99 for a tube of face mask goo, compared with the £1-2 I paid in the UK for it).

When I was in the UK I used to use really basic brands but when I moved here I decided to treat myself a bit more LOL. I now use the Olay "Total Effects" stuff for Blemish-Prone skin. It's meant to help clear up skin (and it does appear to work for me) and also has anti-aging goo in it... which I decided to go for as although I'm only 30 I figured the extra sun exposure I get here (even when wearing sun cream) would possibly accelerate that aging thing
I don't know too much about Olay products but make sure you get the one with SPF in. That will help with anti aging.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:57 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to say that I have found most of the stuff that I use stroke eat (not necessarily in the same product line ) are available here..

I am probably the most picky over beauty products actually... and have found that Dove, L'Oreal, Nivea are all here as are Toni & Guys and others... I tend to go for particular types of beauty products.. ie, an exfoliant face wash and Dove do a good one (as opposed to my No 7 one)..

OF course the whole point in moving else where is to sample their own stuff, so make sure that you stock up when you move here oon Raisin Bread, copious amounts of pies (probably best not to have too many! they are addictive!) and beef! LOL! The veggies and fruit actually taste like veggies and fruit... a nice change to Tescos junk (no offence intended!)

Can't get the hang of vegemite... everyone has told me to keep perservering but I still think it has a dog-awful aftertaste... found a jar of "proper" marmite in Hervey Bay.. only bought the one mind, and realised that i am a true blue and just can't convert.. I would rather go without than try to adjust..

Ho hum.. sorry I think I have gone completely off subject

Em x
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:20 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emelems
Have to say that I have found most of the stuff that I use stroke eat ....

Ho hum.. sorry I think I have gone completely off subject

Em x
So what products do you like to stroke?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Sunscreen = Hat most important.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

ian_s has a spectacular aura aboutian_s has a spectacular aura aboutian_s has a spectacular aura about

Our mate = Marmite

It is made in the UK and is packaged in the same jar. Unfortunately not everyone sells it.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ian_s
Our mate = Marmite

It is made in the UK and is packaged in the same jar. Unfortunately not everyone sells it.
My local IGA sells "Our Mate", in a small jar, for about $4.35 or thereabouts.

Right next to it on the shelf is the exact same sized jar of imported Marmite... for about $7.50!

I always want to put a big sign saying "IT'S THE SAME PRODUCT, NUMBNUTS!"
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So what products do you like to stroke?
That would be telling!!!!!

Em x
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

DanziM is an unknown quantity at this point

The grestest thing has been that i could find all my aussie favs in UK stores like Milo, Vegemite, Timtams ect. No need for an alternative as such however i did get charged alot more than i should for these items but at least they were available!!

Coola cordial was a terrible loss!! i could order it online for £24 including delivery for the standard bottle 4l?

Be sure to look out for the actual UK products, im sure theyre stocked somewhere? or maybe the demand is less for UK product in australia? i find that hard to believe

Last edited by DanziM; Sep 23rd 2008 at 2:09 pm. Reason: typo