Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Nova forced to shut down?

UK Nova forced to shut down?

Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nova forced to shut down?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Do you know how to get a VPN to run on a WDTV?
unblock-us - not a VPN but a domain name redirection. You can apply it on the WDTV itself, not the whole network, it's quicker than a VPN. Their service also works for iPlayer too.

http://unblock-us.com/
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:33 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Nb must be devastated this morning.
I'm sure she has membership of thebox too - if not, she can pm me

I've just had a look at the forums on there - they seem to believe that thebox is made of sterner stuff (and isn't based in the US)

Who knows?

The kids will be devastated if they have to wait for Doctor Who
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I'm sure she has membership of thebox too - if not, she can pm me

I've just had a look at the forums on there - they seem to believe that thebox is made of sterner stuff (and isn't based in the US)

Who knows?

The kids will be devastated if they have to wait for Doctor Who
You are correct, I get most of my stuff from the Box. Not sure what I will do if it all goes tits up. Will have to pay to do that proxy thingy so I can do the iPlayer thing. It's taken me years to get used to the torrent downloading, I am not a techy so might struggle if the Box disappears.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

Originally Posted by GarryP
The thing that interests me is it already runs xbmc on top of debian, HW accelerated, can accept CEC remote controls, or app based control, and is likely to have PVR functionality soon. Add in download and serving of iplayer and its getting pretty close to a full solution - with a power consumption of about 2.4W, low enough to be left on.
I'm sure that is written in English, but I have no idea what it means!!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:21 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMFC
I'm sure that is written in English, but I have no idea what it means!!
Which is kind of why apple does a roaring trade and claims 'innovations' that have been available for years ....
xbmc = free media centre solution, allowing you to play music, movies, TV etc on a wide variety of hardware
debian = a free distribution of Linux (an Operating System) which tends to get used as a basis for lots of products. There will be a number of products using Debian in your house already.
HW accelerated = hardware accelerated rendering of video, etc. so that a relatively low powered processor can deliver good performance via incorporating targeted hardware capabilities
CEC remote controls = remote control signals from your telly get set via the HDMI cable to connected devices (eg players) If the player understands them, then it can be controlled from the TV remote.
app based control = xbmc has an android or iphone remote control app, so you can use smartphone or tablet to control it.
PVR functionality = video recorder
iplayer = you know what this is. the get_iplayer code allows Linux boxes to download and store the video files, getting round the failure of the Beeb to support Linux, and the 7 day limit on display, and the buffering issues
power consumption of about 2.4W = anything you leave on 24/7 is going to be an issue with your power bill. Cutting the consumption from that of a full PC to this level means you could power it for a year for less than $5
which is why there is a specific set of words and phrases for those that can, technically, to talk to one another - it would get very slow if you spoke in noddy language all the time.

It's also why it more sensible to learn this than, say, french. If you learn french you can only speak to a frenchman. If you learn this, you can not only talk to technical experts around the world, you talk the language of machines and making them do what you want.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of

How about using an iPad to watch UK iPlayer? Anyone know any good, cheap, VPNs?

We have Apple TV, so in theory should be able to stream iPlayer to our widescreen from the iPad.

Anyone done this successfully?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
unblock-us - not a VPN but a domain name redirection. You can apply it on the WDTV itself, not the whole network, it's quicker than a VPN. Their service also works for iPlayer too.

http://unblock-us.com/
Did a lot of research on this last night and came up with this dual gateway setup:
Main router for local internet and general wifi
2nd router with inbuilt VPN, connected to a LAN port on main router, for connection to WDTV live, PS3, HTPC etc to access iplayer, Hulu, torrent sites etc.
Essentially 2 wifi networks, one normal, 1 VPN off 1 internet connection.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Essentially 2 wifi networks, one normal, 1 VPN off 1 internet connection.
Are you running two different DHCP zones? Have you disabled the firewall on the second router ?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Are you running two different DHCP zones? Have you disabled the firewall on the second router ?
I haven't done anything, just thinking of ideas at the moment. I saw some info last night that this kind of setup is possible.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently they got a C&D letter, and in the current climate they decided to shut up shop rather than getting screwed over by the legal system.
Imagine getting busted for copyright infringement The injustice!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

Which is kind of why apple does a roaring trade and claims 'innovations' that have been available for years ....
xbmc = free media centre solution, allowing you to play music, movies, TV etc on a wide variety of hardware
debian = a free distribution of Linux (an Operating System) which tends to get used as a basis for lots of products. There will be a number of products using Debian in your house already.
HW accelerated = hardware accelerated rendering of video, etc. so that a relatively low powered processor can deliver good performance via incorporating targeted hardware capabilities
CEC remote controls = remote control signals from your telly get set via the HDMI cable to connected devices (eg players) If the player understands them, then it can be controlled from the TV remote.
app based control = xbmc has an android or iphone remote control app, so you can use smartphone or tablet to control it.
PVR functionality = video recorder
iplayer = you know what this is. the get_iplayer code allows Linux boxes to download and store the video files, getting round the failure of the Beeb to support Linux, and the 7 day limit on display, and the buffering issues
power consumption of about 2.4W = anything you leave on 24/7 is going to be an issue with your power bill. Cutting the consumption from that of a full PC to this level means you could power it for a year for less than $5
which is why there is a specific set of words and phrases for those that can, technically, to talk to one another - it would get very slow if you spoke in noddy language all the time.

It's also why it more sensible to learn this than, say, french. If you learn french you can only speak to a frenchman. If you learn this, you can not only talk to technical experts around the world, you talk the language of machines and making them do what you want.
Thank you GarryP, now you will need to come to my house to set everything up
I only own a laptop, a TV and a DVD player. I do have a mobile, but it's not a smartphone - very old school I'm afraid!
Old Oct 6th 2012, 10:55 am
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Smudger82
How about using an iPad to watch UK iPlayer? Anyone know any good, cheap, VPNs?

We have Apple TV, so in theory should be able to stream iPlayer to our widescreen from the iPad.

Anyone done this successfully?
You can use the unblock-us mentioned here. You have to make sure that you have the UK iPlayer not the global one and this can only be obtained from the UK iTunes store with a UK ID. You can also set-up your AppleTV using unblock-us. All instructions are on their page.
If you have an iPad 2 or later then you can Airplay mirror as the player itself doesn't have the airplay icon. I have the original iPad so I have to double click the home button then slide the icons across until I can see the airplay icon. Neither the 4oD or ITV players support airplay so you will have to mirror these if you have one of the later iPads. Hope this makes sense.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 12:37 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Imagine getting busted for copyright infringement The injustice!
I really dread the day I get a copyright infringement notice on my "Desert Island discs" recording