Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One Way Travel Insurance & Medicare help please!

One Way Travel Insurance & Medicare help please!

Old Oct 6th 2012, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Benjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really nice
Default One Way Travel Insurance & Medicare help please!

Hi Guys,

I just checked about travel insurance with my UK company and they say that I'm not covered for migration purposes...!!!

Does anyone have any advice on what's best for One Way Insurance to Australia???

Also, How long does it take to get covered with Medicare once we arrive? I've printed and filled in the forms to take with us, but are appointments instant or are there waiting lists etc?

I just want to ensure we are covered for all eventualities....

Hope you can help.
Thanks, Ben.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 1:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Way Travel Insurance & Medicare help please!

There are a few who do one way travel insurance. Gomatilda are one who are good, as are the Post Office but the PO one isn't mentioned on their website, you have to ring them (well you used to anyway). Make sure you get one that continues a couple of weeks after landing. Many of them stop as you pass through Passport Control so if anything were to happen on your way to accommodation or whilst you were setting up local insurance you'd be stuffed.

Medicare is immediate from when you go in to the office and they enter your details on the computer. However you do have to wait a few days because their system doesn't pick up the Immigration list immediately and they need to be able to confirm your date of arrival that way. So don't land and go in the same day.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Benjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really nice
Default Re: One Way Travel Insurance & Medicare help please!

Thanks, that's some good advice.