Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK no claims insurance helpful for renting in Oz?

UK no claims insurance helpful for renting in Oz?

Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default UK no claims insurance helpful for renting in Oz?

I noticed on one of the check lists said a letter proving no claims insurance from the UK will help you rent in Oz. I've just phoned up Tesco 'home' insurance for no claims proof letter, but they said they don't do it. Are they correct? should I bother with the car no claims also?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK no claims insurance helpful for renting in Oz?

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
I noticed on one of the check lists said a letter proving no claims insurance from the UK will help you rent in Oz. I've just phoned up Tesco 'home' insurance for no claims proof letter, but they said they don't do it. Are they correct? should I bother with the car no claims also?
its not correct

you need either a job or money in the bank to prove you can pay the rent

no claims discount on car doesnt count here too.

We brought over 9 years worth, doesnt matter one jot.

Plus, we went with cheap car insurance. Possibly if you are going with an expensive equivalent that has offices in uk and oz then they may do it but e-car insurance was cheapest by far, and we were with them in uk and they didnt care about noi claims

al
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:49 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see how a no claims letter will help you rent a house in Aus!

You need money in the bank and so a bank statement would help that as soon as you have one. References from work will help, and a letter from a prior rental in the UK if you have one. If you don't, then mortgage payment evidence would be a smart thing to bring.
If you have jobs before you rent, then get proof of that.

Really it's just proof of earnings you need to rent.

On the car side of things, yes, get your latest insurance documents showing your no claims bonus so you can transfer it to your new insurance in Aus. It's transferable and you need to be able to fax them that info when you sign up. I didn't bring mine and I had to phone the old company in the UK and get them to fax it over which was a right palava.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson

Plus, we went with cheap car insurance. Possibly if you are going with an expensive equivalent that has offices in uk and oz then they may do it but e-car insurance was cheapest by far, and we were with them in uk and they didnt care about noi claims

al
You may find that they care very much if you have to make a claim.

G
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
On the car side of things, yes, get your latest insurance documents showing your no claims bonus so you can transfer it to your new insurance in Aus. It's transferable and you need to be able to fax them that info when you sign up. I didn't bring mine and I had to phone the old company in the UK and get them to fax it over which was a right palava.

Hope that helps.
Are proof of no claims valid for 2 years in Oz like in the UK?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:24 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Your lack of claiming insurance for an accident to your car has no reflection on your ability to fund your rent, whether in UK or in Australia
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:54 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chilliman
Are proof of no claims valid for 2 years in Oz like in the UK?

I'm not sure. I told them I'd got years no claims and this made me a '1' on the scale (5 is not so good I think) so it's not called the same as it is in the UK for a start.
You'd have to talk to the insurance company directly to find that out. You can protect your driver no claims here like you can do in the UK.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Dave_Kent is an unknown quantity at this point

No Claims is of no help with renting here - they just want to know you've got some money

Also, my wife and I insured our new car here with NRMA and were given full no claims bonus straight away because of our age and the fact that we said we hadn't had any claims in the past 5 years (which is true).

Hope this helps
D
Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Dave_Kent
Also, my wife and I insured our new car here with NRMA and were given full no claims bonus straight away because of our age and the fact that we said we hadn't had any claims in the past 5 years (which is true).

Hope this helps
D
In the event of a Car Insurance claim, they may require you to prove that fact. It is stated in some policy wording.

This is the advice I have given in the past
No Claims Discount
Many Insurers will accept your word that you have proof of No Claims Discount from the UK, but in the event of an accident, it is highly likely that they will want to see the proof prior to paying out the claim.
My advise is to send a copy of it to the Insurer, so they have it on file.
House Insurance
Some household insurers are now offering no claims discount on house and contents policy, so it may be worth bring the paperwork.

For renting ?
If it is a policy document for buildings insurance, then it may well confirm that you owned your own house in the UK, which will be a credit mark for a landlord. Speaking with my landlords cap on