Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I ship the gas bottle from my bbq over to Oz?

Can I ship the gas bottle from my bbq over to Oz?

Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice
Default Can I ship the gas bottle from my bbq over to Oz?

Just wondering if anyone has shipped their UK gas bottle. Can you get the same refills over there? Are the gas connectors the same.

Would be a shame not to as it is nearly full (from not getting much use during this year's UK winter...sorry meant to say so called summer!!!)

Thanks

Mands
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:10 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I ship the gas bottle from my bbq over to Oz?

I don't know the rules but certainly shipping a gas bottle whether full or empty is more dangerous than many goods.

Australia is probably the easiset country on earth to get gas for a BBQ. Every petrol station and every hardware store sells them. You will rarely be more than 1km away from a gas refill.

Way it works here is you take your empty with you and swap it for a full one, so even if you bring your own as soon as you need a new one you will ose your actual bottle.

I think an empty 9kg bottle is about $20-25 here so when you go for your first one you will pay about $50 for the bottle and the gas then around $25 each time you swap an empty for a full.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:10 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MANDS14
Just wondering if anyone has shipped their UK gas bottle. Can you get the same refills over there? Are the gas connectors the same.

Would be a shame not to as it is nearly full (from not getting much use during this year's UK winter...sorry meant to say so called summer!!!)

Thanks

Mands
Was about to say that if you ship it empty you'll have less trouble. But if the point is that you want to ship it full then you'd better talk to the shippers. I would imagine that potential explosives might cost extra.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:15 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jayr
Way it works here is you take your empty with you and swap it for a full one, so even if you bring your own as soon as you need a new one you will ose your actual bottle.
There is another way now...

One phone call and they bring a replacement swap over bottle to you..

Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:23 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Mands
Doubt you'd get anyone to take it... Haz goods are a nightmare at the best of times with all the paperwork, etc...
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Mands
the short answer is NO
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:29 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

dont bother - just take it back to british gas or boc and get your deposit back - or flog it with your bbq. dont bother to bring the bbq if its only a couple of hundred quid one - they are so may here and cheaper. if you want to bring it quarantine will give you a hard time as it needs to be spotless.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

You can't even put deoderants in the container....
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:41 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I have some friends (Poms I might add) who went to Bunnings and bought a beautiful new silver shiny gas bottle off the shelf. They went to pay and asked where they got the gas from then went to do that. They had to hand in their shiny new silver empty one and swap for a plain white full one.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:46 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

I brought mine from NZ to Oz but you can't do it full.

You have to have the bottle purged, which cost me about NZ$20. They put a label on and give you documentation for the shippers.

So its up to you to weigh it up on wether its worth it, but you def can't take it with the gas in.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:08 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
I brought mine from NZ to Oz but you can't do it full.

You have to have the bottle purged, which cost me about NZ$20. They put a label on and give you documentation for the shippers.

So its up to you to weigh it up on wether its worth it, but you def can't take it with the gas in.
Even for interstate Removals, gas bottles have to be certified as purged with nitrogen before we can put them in the container................mm
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
oops i put 3 of them on naughty naughty girl xx
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:23 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

We bought our gas bbq over with us (minus the gas bottle) as it had been a gift. Had to get a new connector for it as the bottle connections here are slightly different, depending on the make / model of your bbq. Cost a few bucks from Bunnings.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:24 am
Karma Comedian

You'd get a bit smelly waiting for 6 weeks for the container to turn up with your deodrant

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:15 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
oops i put 3 of them on naughty naughty girl xx
deodorants are ok as long the container is not pressurised....ie spray pacs...mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.