UK Electrician in Oz

UK Electrician in Oz

Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

bigsouth1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Electrician in Oz

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice really.

I am moving to Australia in June for 12 months ( I have a 12 month working visa) and am a qualified, time served, electrican by trade. I currently hold my city and gulids, onc and HNC in electrical engineering, and as i stated earlier am fully time served, and would like to know the best way of setting myself up to be able to get work as an electrcian during my 12 months in Oz, how to go about transefering my qualifications (if i need to of course) etc etc...........

Please can anybody give me any poitners, anything at all would help.

Regards,

Andy
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:22 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Electrician in Oz

Originally Posted by bigsouth1981
Hi there,

I am moving to Australia in June for 12 months ( I have a 12 month working visa) and am a qualified, time served, electrican by trade. I currently hold my city and gulids, onc and HNC in electrical engineering, and as i stated earlier am fully time served, and would like to know the best way of setting myself up to be able to get work as an electrcian during my 12 months in Oz, how to go about transefering my qualifications (if i need to of course) etc etc...........

Regards,

Andy
first you`ll need an artc

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

once youve got this apply to peer.com.au to do the electrical course ( about three weeks )

http://peer.com.au/Training/Overseas...1/Default.aspx

also read post 8

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491978

we also we have an electricians forum here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

bigsouth1981;

without the A class license there is noway your going to get work in any legal form, you must provide a cert of electrical safety for all work performed.

if you intend to work in QLD i would be asking Stev"O on here for advice, as Stev"O said 1st you need the ARTC then you must sit Exams to obtain the A class license in some states that can take 12 months at Tafe (College) in the evenings.

Regardless of any qualifications form the UK, you still need the ARTC 1st then A class license to get of the starting block
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
bigsouth1981;

without the A class license there is noway your going to get work in any legal form, you must provide a cert of electrical safety for all work performed.
Isn't it still correct that he could get work with an employer, as an employed electrician, even before taking the mentioned courses ?

Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

He wont get work as an employed spark, reason being the company shall have to check all his work all the time, thus costing them money. he wont be allowed to work on any mains stuff 230V or 415V at all without the A class license.

Regardless of any qualification from any other country all sparks must do the license, i know its a ball ache but if a company gave him work & something goes belly up the fines are massive & company's are getting fined for the least thing on a continual basis, also if he was working as a Restricted license holder the company he would be working for would have there insurance void, its as simple as that its just worth the hassle for a company to employ a person without all licenses.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 10:10 am
Just Joined

alix101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigsouth1981
Hi there,

Regards,

Andy
hi i did the same thing back in 2005, although its correct that you need a licence to be classed as an electrician, you can find work i signed up with HAYEs agenceny and got plenty work as an electricians mate, i only need money to continue my travels and the money was good, so take a copy of your certificates over and register with the big agencys worked for me................ but it might be more fun to do somthing else or its just like being here but hotter.... i ended up selling handbags from a market stall that was more enjoyabe.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:29 am
Account Closed

pingpong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alix101
hi i did the same thing back in 2005, although its correct that you need a licence to be classed as an electrician, you can find work i signed up with HAYEs agenceny and got plenty work as an electricians mate, i only need money to continue my travels and the money was good, so take a copy of your certificates over and register with the big agencys worked for me................ but it might be more fun to do somthing else or its just like being here but hotter.... i ended up selling handbags from a market stall that was more enjoyabe.
true, there's plenty of firms will take you on unlicensed. i know more unlicensed sparks than licensed.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

I am presently in a supervisory role and have been "off the tools" so to speak since 2006 - However, I began my electrical engineering apprenticship in 1997 and completed it in 2001 as a fully qualified electical engineer. My present company have offered to put me through the latest 17th edition test and inspection course before I leave, so do you think I should wait till i have completed that before approaching the accreditation board or take my certs over with me and start from there?.

Regards,

Andy
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Anybody help at all?

Kind Regards,
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

17th edition or 2391 won`t mean a thing over here. As said if You can find work without a license all well and good, I myself have had less success and got My license Yesterday. people I speak to insist I have it. I cannot imagine what it will be like looking for casual work here over the next year. every vacancy gets hundreds of applicants. But so much depends on where you are going and where you are prepared to go!. Good luck all the same.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:43 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
17th edition or 2391 won`t mean a thing over here. As said if You can find work without a license all well and good, I myself have had less success and got My license Yesterday. people I speak to insist I have it. I cannot imagine what it will be like looking for casual work here over the next year. every vacancy gets hundreds of applicants. But so much depends on where you are going and where you are prepared to go!. Good luck all the same.
try talking to chris ball or dave (hunt66) they have both just sorted then selves out with a firm in brissie

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=60728
http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=59640

and i do belive that the company are looking for others