Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk doctor's medical history(40p per sheet)!!

Uk doctor's medical history(40p per sheet)!!

Old Jan 29th 2003, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk doctor's medical history(40p per sheet)!!

Hi Steve

Are you sure it's £10? As I said in an earlier post it was supposed to be reduced to £10 from £50 but as far as I am aware the decrease has not taken place. I have tried arguing that it's £10 with GPs' surgeries and they have sent me their guidance from the BMA quoting that it's still £50. I believe it's because GPs were finding a disproportionate amount of their time and resources were being spent in copying patient records!

Nicstids
Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

smiths2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nicstids
Hi Steve

Are you sure it's £10? As I said in an earlier post it was supposed to be reduced to £10 from £50 but as far as I am aware the decrease has not taken place. I have tried arguing that it's £10 with GPs' surgeries and they have sent me their guidance from the BMA quoting that it's still £50. I believe it's because GPs were finding a disproportionate amount of their time and resources were being spent in copying patient records!

Nicstids
Hi Nicstids

You are right. http://www.n-i.nhs.uk/dataprotect/gu...ccess_fees.htm Explains this more fully. Note that it is a "maximum" fee not a minimum. It also means only hard copies are charged over the £10. Access to records is still only £10.

Thanks for the correction. 40p per sheet if it is only 10 sheets might be a bargain!

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 30th 2003, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by sue5665
Hi,
Went to the doc's today to ask about getting copies of our medical history for me,hubby & 2 kid's.
Told to see receptionist who told me that they will photocopy all of our medical history but will cost 40p per sheet!!!!!!!

I have done a search on the forum as I remember some one saying that there is a max that they can charge you.

So please help as we will have to pay a forture.

Sue

I am confused those records dont belong to the Doctor they are yours why dont you take the originals ??. what law would prevent you from doing so ???
Old Jan 30th 2003, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jeannie
I am confused those records dont belong to the Doctor they are yours why dont you take the originals ??. what law would prevent you from doing so ???
Hi Jeannie,

I agree, can I not I get our doctor's records and photocopy them myself????????

Sue
Old Jan 30th 2003, 10:54 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
Went to the doc's today to ask about getting copies of our medical history for me,hubby & 2 kid's.
Told to see receptionist who told me that they will photocopy all of our medical history but will cost 40p per sheet!!!!!!!

I have done a search on the forum as I remember some one saying that there is a max that they can charge you.

So please help as we will have to pay a forture.

Sue
Hi Sue,
I've just phoned our surgery and they've told me that there is a 10 pound access to records charge (40 pound for four of us) plus 35 pence per copy. I asked how they copy them because the doctors records are only on small cards about a quarter the size of A4 paper. I asked if they put a few of them on the photocopier at once to fill a page of A4 and I was told 'No, it is 35p per side.'

The maximum they charge is 50 pound per patient, so with the 10 pound access charege, this could be 240 pound. It all depends on the size of your records.

The 10 pound access charge is for the doctor to look at the records first to see if there is any 'sensitive' material that can't be copied. Such as 'my wife used to be a man and she doesn't want me to know!'

The other way is just to get a computer printout from the surgery on each of us which is just 10 pounds each, which any body is entitled to under the Data Protection Act, but it only relates to information stored about you on computer. Whether this would be acceptable I don't know.

Hope this is helpful.

Steve.
Old Feb 7th 2003, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

A bit of good news went to the doctor's to pick up our copies of our medicals after a lot of heated talk they charged me £30 for the three of us, walked out of the surgery with a very large grin.

Opened the envelope to see what the doc had wrote about me, only to find that I had, had a heart attack at the age of 63, I'm only 37, so straight back in to tell the smug faced receptionist that the ''private'' record's that I was reading were not mine!. Funny how a smart assed receptionist can turn from being a sour faced, can't be bothered to treat you with respect person, to a nice grovelling human, who all of a sudden will get my record's copied straight away and will put them in the post, so I will recieve them in the morning.
Strange because when I went their over a week ago I was told that they would need at least 1 week to get them copied.

Sue
Old Feb 7th 2003, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

That's appalling, and scary!!

Mash...

A bit of good news went to the doctor's to pick up our copies of our medicals after a lot of heated talk they charged me £30 for the three of us, walked out of the surgery with a very large grin.

Opened the envelope to see what the doc had wrote about me, only to find that I had, had a heart attack at the age of 63, I'm only 37, so straight back in to tell the smug faced receptionist that the ''private'' record's that I was reading were not mine!. Funny how a smart assed receptionist can turn from being a sour faced, can't be bothered to treat you with respect person, to a nice grovelling human, who all of a sudden will get my record's copied straight away and will put them in the post, so I will recieve them in the morning.
Strange because when I went their over a week ago I was told that they would need at least 1 week to get them copied.

Sue
Old Feb 7th 2003, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

What I find scary is that when I request a client's GP records (I'm a solicitor) the GPs surgeries quite often send me the client's original notes by normal post. What if they were to go missing?! Oh - and they charge us £10 for just putting them in an envelope!

Nicstids
Old Feb 7th 2003, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by parrot
I had my medical done last Friday morning and asked my doctors for a letter with the relevant medical history that they thought the doctor doing the medical would need to see. They didn't charge me anything for it and in the end I didn't need it because a lot of the time, what you put down on the forms is all the information they need. Any letters from the doctor just repeats this information. I was armed with sheets of paper regarding past medical history and ended up taking it all home with me again! You certainly won't need dental records. All the doctor does is ask you to stick your tongue out, say 'Aaaaah' and then wiggle your tongue from side to side. They only have a very brief look in your eyes and ears. I was so worried about the medical before I had it done, but in the end we had a lovely doctor and it was all over in half an hour!
Parrot
Hi parrot

Which doctor did you use ?

Thanks

Terry
Old Feb 7th 2003, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

I thought of getting our medical records from the doctor to bring out with us but as none of us had never had anything major wrong with us (thank god, only minor stuff anyway) I didn't think it was worth it. Anything that we did have wrong with us we can tell a doctor about it and tell them what medicine we had anyway. Obviously if you have had major things wrong then it is worth getting them. The only thing that was important was the kids record books, which we have anyway, as you have to take them to the doctors to get an immunisation certificate for the school. As for the dentist, I asked my dentist for my records as I had had quite a lot of work done and she told me that any good dentist can tell what you have had done (and I could tell them) so its not worth taking dental records.

Mandy
Old Feb 9th 2003, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Sue

That is unbelievable.......:scared: :scared:
Old Feb 9th 2003, 5:12 am
2thick

Sue
That's scandalous!! Sounds like the receptionist is part of PB's happy, successful family he keeps on about?

2thick