British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Uk doctor's medical history(40p per sheet)!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-doctors-medical-history-40p-per-sheet-129271/)

sue5665 Jan 28th 2003 10:50 am

Uk doctor's medical history(40p per sheet)!!

Hi,
Went to the doc's today to ask about getting copies of our medical history for me,hubby & 2 kid's.
Told to see receptionist who told me that they will photocopy all of our medical history but will cost 40p per sheet!!!!!!!

I have done a search on the forum as I remember some one saying that there is a max that they can charge you.

So please help as we will have to pay a forture.

Sue:confused: :confused:

Loopy Jan 28th 2003 11:00 am

That's bit much isn't it! Got to do it myself shortly. Did you ask if it was possible to just do bits you think are "relevant" i.e anything serious, operations, on going problems? I know that would then involve reading a lot of the notes - I'd offer to do it myself but know the answer I'd get!

Also has anyone obtained hospital records to take?

My husband asked his dentist for his records but was told they weren't worth taking as everything needing to be seen can be done so from fresh x-rays and even if you have old ones they'll insist on doing them again anyway.

Anyone any advice?

Going Loopy!

parrot Jan 28th 2003 11:07 am

Originally posted by Loopy
That's bit much isn't it! Got to do it myself shortly. Did you ask if it was possible to just do bits you think are "relevant" i.e anything serious, operations, on going problems? I know that would then involve reading a lot of the notes - I'd offer to do it myself but know the answer I'd get!

Also has anyone obtained hospital records to take?

My husband asked his dentist for his records but was told they weren't worth taking as everything needing to be seen can be done so from fresh x-rays and even if you have old ones they'll insist on doing them again anyway.

Anyone any advice?

Going Loopy!
I had my medical done last Friday morning and asked my doctors for a letter with the relevant medical history that they thought the doctor doing the medical would need to see. They didn't charge me anything for it and in the end I didn't need it because a lot of the time, what you put down on the forms is all the information they need. Any letters from the doctor just repeats this information. I was armed with sheets of paper regarding past medical history and ended up taking it all home with me again! You certainly won't need dental records. All the doctor does is ask you to stick your tongue out, say 'Aaaaah' and then wiggle your tongue from side to side. They only have a very brief look in your eyes and ears. I was so worried about the medical before I had it done, but in the end we had a lovely doctor and it was all over in half an hour!
Parrot

hollywood110 Jan 28th 2003 12:04 pm

Re: Uk doctor's medical history(40p per sheet)!!

Originally posted by sue5665
Hi,
Went to the doc's today to ask about getting copies of our medical history for me,hubby & 2 kid's.
Told to see receptionist who told me that they will photocopy all of our medical history but will cost 40p per sheet!!!!!!!

I have done a search on the forum as I remember some one saying that there is a max that they can charge you.

Hi

I called my doctors surgery last week and they said £10 per person, There are 5 of us so the total was £50.
Thought I would forget about it!!

Love Sharon x

Jaykay Jan 28th 2003 12:08 pm

Hi,

I recently visited my doctor and enquired at the time about taking my notes with me to Australia.
He said that he couldn't give them to me but could write up a summary for me to take. He didn't mention price, but then again I also asked him to sign my passport renewal form and photos and he said there was a "small fee".
When I went to pick up the form, I had to pay out £20.00!

If I'd known it was that much, I could've asked one of the Chartered Engineers that I work with to sign it. The only reason that I asked the Doctor to sign them was that I'd got an appointment with him and thought he might do it at the same time....stupid, stupid, stupid!!

Nicstids Jan 28th 2003 12:17 pm

Hi,

I'm a solicitor doing personal injury work and, when we request a client's medical records, the max a GP's surgery or hospital can charge under the legislation relating to Access to Medical Records is £50. It was going to be reduced to £10 but unfortunately that didn't happen. I'm not entirely sure what the position is though when you're asking for your own medical records.....

Nicstids

Loopy Jan 28th 2003 1:03 pm

Just to clarify I meant copying of records to take to Australia with us, NOT for medicals. Which did you mean Sue?

For your medicals (as long as you've got, or had, nothing seriously wrong with you) you don't need to take any records along.

sue5665 Jan 28th 2003 1:18 pm

Hi Loopy,

Yes that is what I meant, coppies to take to OZ in March when we go.
Sue

sue5665 Jan 28th 2003 1:21 pm

max a GP's surgery or hospital can charge under the legislation relating to Access to Medical Records is £50.

Hi Nicstids,

Thanks for that at least I can exspect to pay no more than £50,
my son has got bad asthma so he has got a big file & I have got a really large file.
Sue

sue5665 Jan 28th 2003 1:23 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaykay
When I went to pick up the form, I had to pay out £20.00!

Hi JK,
So did you pay £20 for a copy of your records & doc to sign passport? or was £20 just for his signature?
Sue

renth Jan 28th 2003 1:47 pm

We are paying £50.00 but it's for 5 of us.

One of the many things you have to remember to do before you go.

Here is something I should have done on our 'recce trip to Perth in August - set up a PO box to redirect my mail to.

Fortunately my friend did it for me the other day, but if you don't know anyone it would be a pain.

Just had the letting agent round today, Clifford Dann, they seem very professional. Also had a couple of quotes for the removals, it looks like we are going to use Bishops Move.

Dan & Cheryl

sue5665 Jan 28th 2003 2:35 pm

Hi Dan & Cheryl,

Thanks for that.

We are also using Bishops Move, they are delivering the boxes today, we are moving out of our house in 2 weeks, we are then staying with mother-in-law until we leave on 20th March, so Bishops are going to pick our stuff up from mother-in-laws and store it until we write and tell them where we want it shipped too, we found them to be really helpful.
We are torn between Adelaide and Coff's Harbour so we have decided to go to Coff's for approx 1 month and if hubby can't find work we will drive to Adelaide (brother-in-law live's there & we know quite a few people from are previous visits,and hubby will get work no problem).

Sue

Jaykay Jan 28th 2003 6:42 pm

Hi JK,
So did you pay £20 for a copy of your records & doc to sign passport? or was £20 just for his signature?
Sue
Hi Sue

The £20.00 was just for the Doctor to sign my passport renewal form. I actually asked the Receptionist to question it with the Doctor as I couldn't believe he would charge that much for a lousy signature!! He had the cheek to say that he should have charged more as I'd also asked him to sign my form for getting a copy of my Australian Citizenship Paper at the same time!

smiths2 Jan 29th 2003 9:12 pm

Hi Sue

In case someone hasn't said this...

Under the Data Protection Act you are entitled on a person by person basis access to your records for a fee of £10. Companies or partnerships have to give you this information for this as they cannot make a profit out of it.

By the way, how many sheets are you expecting? For £10 per person that would be 25 sheets @ 40 pence per sheet! ;-0

Anyway it's £10 per person.

Cheers

Steve

Hi,

smiths2 Jan 29th 2003 9:14 pm

Hi Jaykay

Count yourself lucky. I had to pay for 15 signatures recently at my doctors surgery for my visa application. At £8 per signature!

I'm in the wrong business.

Cheers

Steve

Originally posted by Jaykay
Hi Sue

The £20.00 was just for the Doctor to sign my passport renewal form. I actually asked the Receptionist to question it with the Doctor as I couldn't believe he would charge that much for a lousy signature!! He had the cheek to say that he should have charged more as I'd also asked him to sign my form for getting a copy of my Australian Citizenship Paper at the same time!