Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is a UK credit history accepted in Oz

Is a UK credit history accepted in Oz

Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice
Default Re: Is a UK credit history accepted in Oz

Originally Posted by Zambia
I can imagine a lot of weckless fankers pissing themselves at the thought of their UK past credit history surfacing in Oz.
Just because experian are going worldwide doesnt mean that someone over here can access UK credit files. Ive been told from a person who works in that profession that the data protection act covers the UK only and Australia cant access the info as they dont come under the act. You start a fresh in Oz, This may change in the future but only if an agreement is drawn up between the two countries and I cant see that happening.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:04 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie-k
Thanks ABCDiamond.
I might aswell get an up todate copy before I leave the UK then. It isn't expensive.
I ordered one once and because I put down one of my past addresses, which was a university halls of residence I ended up with several hundred pages listing the names of everyone that had ever lived in the whole building, EVER! I'm sure if I presented that to someone here and said this is my credit history I'd never be lent a single cent ever again!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:45 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humpy
Just because experian are going worldwide doesnt mean that someone over here can access UK credit files. Ive been told from a person who works in that profession that the data protection act covers the UK only and Australia cant access the info as they dont come under the act. You start a fresh in Oz, This may change in the future but only if an agreement is drawn up between the two countries and I cant see that happening.
True it might not we are really just taking the piss.

But in the same light if experian have an office in the UK and in Australia. Is there against law asking for a check from there uk Office.

They dont hand over info just a yes or no answer to the question.

"Is Mr X worthy of credit from Experian UK" If lendiing criteria increases to tighten this will happen sure for a tv your fine but for a high end car or house?
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Even if Experian had offices all over the world, yet credit history of one country would not be relevant to or be accepted by another country. Experian is a company that collects and synthesizes credit information of individuals for use by banks. In Australia, Experien will maintain a database of the Australian credit customers and in UK, those of UK customers only. So, your UK Experian report will be of very little use to Australian banks and at best you will get a sympathetic look from an Australian banker. However, this sympathy will not take you far as credit card desions are based on local credit scores. Bottomline.... start building a fresh credit history in Australia. By the way, on a side note (not that its any of my business), if you badly need to depend on a credit card upon arrival in Australia or if its a critical part of your financial planning, I would suggest you consider saving up a little more before making the move. If that means delaying your departure, so be it.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

True it might not we are really just taking the piss.

But in the same light if experian have an office in the UK and in Australia. Is there against law asking for a check from there uk Office.

They dont hand over info just a yes or no answer to the question.

"Is Mr X worthy of credit from Experian UK" If lendiing criteria increases to tighten this will happen sure for a tv your fine but for a high end car or house?
The info held in the UK is covered by the UK Data Protection Act and can't be released outside the UK. Australian law works the same way.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

By the way, on a side note (not that its any of my business), if you badly need to depend on a credit card upon arrival in Australia or if its a critical part of your financial planning, I would suggest you consider saving up a little more before making the move. If that means delaying your departure, so be it.[/QUOTE]

No we don't need to rely on credit cards, we thought a clean credit history might be useful.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

at this stage your 12 hours late I need at least a kidney as well
Kidney. Yes certainly. Will the cats' do?