Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK child migrants apology planned

Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:18 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK child migrants apology planned

Ordeal of Australia's child migrants

Very sad

Last edited by paulry; Nov 15th 2009 at 4:23 am.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:09 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK child migrants apology planned

about time too. I have posted on this subject a few times. While I totally understand that the stolen generation was in many ways different this episode is also shameful in both Australian and British history.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:30 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
about time too. I have posted on this subject a few times. While I totally understand that the stolen generation was in many ways different this episode is also shameful in both Australian and British history.
agreed absolutely dispicable the ways these kids were treated. Brown is expected to follow with his applogy better late than never? who knows
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:14 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Possums
agreed absolutely dispicable the ways these kids were treated. Brown is expected to follow with his applogy better late than never? who knows
The Stolen British kids were treated just as badly or even worse then the Aboriginal stolen kids but l guess its not a hot political issue like the Aboriginal kids so the government does'nt care as much.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:19 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of Mrs Wol's family were two of these kids.

It's the catholic church and the "christian brothers" who should be held to account - the "minders" who were paid by the government to look after the children but often abused them terribly.

But then that's often the way with religion.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...patcondell&p=r
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Often not mentioned or spoke of, so very very sad, too late to make things better for those people but I guess an apology at least acknowledges how wrong it was. Both Britain and Australia are to blame.............
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

ozhopeful will become famous soon enough

i just hope it doesn't turn into another 'i want money to help me move on' issue, but agreed, it gave me cold shivers to think what those children went through and just another reminder of the rotten lows that humanity can reach
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that too, was simply heart breaking I had never heard about these atrocities until a couple of days ago. I can't imagine the pain they went through as children and I hope that with this long overdue apology they can now find some semblance of closure.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:28 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I also was unaware of this ever having taken place until recently. I'm staggered by it frankly, really appalled that this ever happened. When I read that some were told thier parents were dead or that they werent wanted and where some of them ended up.... too horrible to contemplate, am at a loss how 'civilised' countries could have done such a thing
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

It is a shame that the British Govt did not think it necessary to issue a similar apology - in fact they should have apologised to the poor victims first given that they perpetrated this crime.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:16 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You have to remember that this started just after the war, when there were many displaced and parentless children. Plus, conditions were different to now.

The sexual and physical abuse was mainly at the hands of the religious entities who were being paid by the governments to look after the children.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:55 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that Gordon (Is a Moron) Brown is doing it because of an overwhelming sense of moral obligation... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hone-call.html

World trailer rather than leader.... Cock!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a close family friend who was one of these children (he died a few years ago). He said that sending him to Australia was the best thing that ever happened to him. He said working on farms in WA was heaven compared to being in a freezing orphanage in the UK with nuns throwing them in freezing baths in the middle of the night if they wet their bed and making them scrub their bed linen. Though he was fortunate to have not suffered the sexual abuse that a lot of them had to deal with.