British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK child migrants apology planned (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-child-migrants-apology-planned-640595/)

paulry Nov 15th 2009 4:18 am

UK child migrants apology planned

UK child migrants apology planned

Ordeal of Australia's child migrants

Very sad :(

seang Nov 15th 2009 5:09 am

Re: UK child migrants apology planned

about time too. I have posted on this subject a few times. While I totally understand that the stolen generation was in many ways different this episode is also shameful in both Australian and British history.

Possums Nov 16th 2009 2:30 am

Originally Posted by seang (Post 8099267)
about time too. I have posted on this subject a few times. While I totally understand that the stolen generation was in many ways different this episode is also shameful in both Australian and British history.

agreed absolutely dispicable the ways these kids were treated. Brown is expected to follow with his applogy better late than never? who knows :thumbdown:

mohogony Nov 16th 2009 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Possums (Post 8100957)
agreed absolutely dispicable the ways these kids were treated. Brown is expected to follow with his applogy better late than never? who knows :thumbdown:

The Stolen British kids were treated just as badly or even worse then the Aboriginal stolen kids but l guess its not a hot political issue like the Aboriginal kids so the government does'nt care as much.

Wol Nov 16th 2009 4:19 am

A couple of Mrs Wol's family were two of these kids.

It's the catholic church and the "christian brothers" who should be held to account - the "minders" who were paid by the government to look after the children but often abused them terribly.

But then that's often the way with religion.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...patcondell&p=r

Sammy T Nov 16th 2009 4:40 am

Often not mentioned or spoke of, so very very sad, too late to make things better for those people but I guess an apology at least acknowledges how wrong it was. Both Britain and Australia are to blame.............

ozhopeful Nov 16th 2009 7:37 am

i just hope it doesn't turn into another 'i want money to help me move on' issue, but agreed, it gave me cold shivers to think what those children went through and just another reminder of the rotten lows that humanity can reach

IndieG Nov 16th 2009 9:03 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8099244)

I saw that too, was simply heart breaking:( I had never heard about these atrocities until a couple of days ago. I can't imagine the pain they went through as children and I hope that with this long overdue apology they can now find some semblance of closure.

squeezzii Nov 16th 2009 2:28 pm

I also was unaware of this ever having taken place until recently. I'm staggered by it frankly, really appalled that this ever happened. When I read that some were told thier parents were dead or that they werent wanted and where some of them ended up.... too horrible to contemplate, am at a loss how 'civilised' countries could have done such a thing

IndieG Nov 16th 2009 7:48 pm

It is a shame that the British Govt did not think it necessary to issue a similar apology - in fact they should have apologised to the poor victims first given that they perpetrated this crime.

Wol Nov 16th 2009 8:16 pm

You have to remember that this started just after the war, when there were many displaced and parentless children. Plus, conditions were different to now.

The sexual and physical abuse was mainly at the hands of the religious entities who were being paid by the governments to look after the children.

DunRoaminTheUK Nov 17th 2009 1:55 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8099244)

I'm sure that Gordon (Is a Moron) Brown is doing it because of an overwhelming sense of moral obligation... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hone-call.html

World trailer rather than leader.... Cock!

Kim67 Nov 17th 2009 3:16 am

We had a close family friend who was one of these children (he died a few years ago). He said that sending him to Australia was the best thing that ever happened to him. He said working on farms in WA was heaven compared to being in a freezing orphanage in the UK with nuns throwing them in freezing baths in the middle of the night if they wet their bed and making them scrub their bed linen. Though he was fortunate to have not suffered the sexual abuse that a lot of them had to deal with.