Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are u from Wrexham or North Wales and now in Oz?

Are u from Wrexham or North Wales and now in Oz?

Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice
Default Re: Are u from Wrexham or North Wales and now in Oz?

Originally Posted by Zen10
You should start at the beginning:

http://www.immi.gov.au/
Hi Zen Ten thanks for the link. What state has the least number of days of rain on average in a year? Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:28 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
Hi Zen Ten thanks for the link. What state has the least number of days of rain on average in a year? Thanks
Not sure which state (probable SA) but you need to know rainfall for cities not states unless you are planning on living in the middle of the bush. I think Adelaide has the lowest rainfall of any metro area.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

My Parents have moved to North Wales in their retirement, so I've been there quite a lot.... I doubt if that counts though. I've been to some of the most enjoyable football matches of my life as an away supporter at Wrexham... not sure whether that counts either, but it's given me fond memories of the place... great supporters there at that time..

I do know that after 30 years of living here wishing for the driest state is one of those "Careful what you with for" statements. As a Blast furnace, dusty dry, fly ridden, barren desert like summer is my least favourite thing about living in Aus.... and that is with my hand on my heart. I think I'm correct in saying that after a while most begin to despise the hottest months of the year in the more arid parts of this Country, the South East Aus and Summers in Perth... although I think Perth gets more rain than us over this side of the Country..
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Not sure which state (probable SA) but you need to know rainfall for cities not states unless you are planning on living in the middle of the bush. I think Adelaide has the lowest rainfall of any metro area.
It does, with Hobart suprisingly second on the list. Although somehow Hobart manages to stay Green and not turn dusty dead brown like Adelaide and Melbourne.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:24 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My Parents have moved to North Wales in their retirement, so I've been there quite a lot.... I doubt if that counts though. I've been to some of the most enjoyable football matches of my life as an away supporter at Wrexham... not sure whether that counts either, but it's given me fond memories of the place... great supporters there at that time..

I do know that after 30 years of living here wishing for the driest state is one of those "Careful what you with for" statements. As a Blast furnace, dusty dry, fly ridden, barren desert like summer is my least favourite thing about living in Aus.... and that is with my hand on my heart. I think I'm correct in saying that after a while most begin to despise the hottest months of the year in the more arid parts of this Country, the South East Aus and Summers in Perth... although I think Perth gets more rain than us over this side of the Country..
Adelaide summers are generally beautiful - 25 to 30 most days and clear. The hills stay mostly green in certain areas and the evenings are great. But - and it's the classic big but - when the northerly wind blows in the temperature in Adelaide just gets awful - up to mid 40s sometimes. The very worst thing is that the temperature can remain elevated for days and days on end, some nights remaining well into the 30s. It is at this point the word "despise" that you use starts to enter my vocabulary. It is difficult for British people to know what it feels like when the temperature does not go below mid 30s day or night for several days in a row. However, these periods probably add up to about 3 or 4 weeks across the whole summer so on balance they are tolerable.

I think the OP might be looking for the most rainfall though as she has already referred to not like the lack of green in Perth, unless I am getting my posters confused.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:52 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

The people then? were not all bad! depends what part you were living in I guess.
I was living in Hope when my husband died - the locals, from our neighbours to the parents and teachers at the school and the doctors and staff at the surgery were all incredible. Even before that, I'd been welcomed into people's homes despite being a Mackem

Sometimes I think people who complain about the attitudes of others need to look at their own attitude first
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Yes I'm sure that does count and no the above does not sound appealing lol_

Yes Zen10 it is the same person.
The reason for the question was because my husband told me last night that he does not want to move over if we are going to be in a place that rains just as much as over here! and unfortunately he has only had snippets of information off various people he has come accross and probably give him a very biased opinion and no doubt third party information from people they know.

I spoke with conceptaustalia yesterday and they have recommended we apply for the subclass 190 visa as my husband scored 75 points.

Without question we would want to live close to a beach, not in a secluded village. We love the outdoors lifestyle and my husband enjoys his cycling (both road and mtb) and recently started getting involved in triathlons. My daughter loves dancing, horse riding and is a member of the local gymnastic club. I my self enjoy various sports and of course shopping!! We are not from a large city like London or Manchester but I like the fact that I can go to them if I want to.

Does any of this info help?!
Thanks again everyone for your input

Last edited by GunnersCandy; Aug 31st 2012 at 8:59 am.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I was living in Hope when my husband died - the locals, from our neighbours to the parents and teachers at the school and the doctors and staff at the surgery were all incredible. Even before that, I'd been welcomed into people's homes despite being a Mackem

Sometimes I think people who complain about the attitudes of others need to look at their own attitude first
very true and well put
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke with conceptaustalia yesterday and they have recommended we apply for the 176 visa as my husband scored 75 points.
Find yourself another agent. The 176 hasn't existed for new applicants since 30th June. You need to check the DIAC website and do the visa wizard. Oh and read up on SkillSelect regarding your options. ConceptAustralia are obviously morons.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Find yourself another agent. The 176 hasn't existed for new applicants since 30th June. You need to check the DIAC website and do the visa wizard. Oh and read up on SkillSelect regarding your options. ConceptAustralia are obviously morons.
No if you look I have edited it! it was my fault I was thinking of the wrong one. As we were going to apply a couple of years back! I'm the moron lol
Old Aug 31st 2012, 10:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No if you look I have edited it! it was my fault I was thinking of the wrong one. As we were going to apply a couple of years back! I'm the moron lol
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:45 am
Banned

The reason for the question was because my husband told me last night that he does not want to move over if we are going to be in a place that rains just as much as over here!
Ah I see. Well, all Australian cities have higher rainfall than London except Adelaide, I believe, but you should know that statistics only go so far. I mean by this that the rainfall in Australia is usually concentrated at certain times of year - especially here in Adelaide. We can have literally weeks without a drop in the summer. Also, rain is not a problem when it's hot. We have swum in the ocean in a rain storm before and it was great fun. Here, we look forward to the rain, basically. Weird but true. I have gone outside and stood in it on purpose before.

Without question we would want to live close to a beach, not in a secluded village. We love the outdoors lifestyle and my husband enjoys his cycling (both road and mtb) and recently started getting involved in triathlons. My daughter loves dancing, horse riding and is a member of the local gymnastic club. I my self enjoy various sports and of course shopping!! We are not from a large city like London or Manchester but I like the fact that I can go to them if I want to.
Most Australians live really close to a beach, so unless you do something unusual, you will probably have access to a beach. You can see the ocean from our unit and we're about 30 seconds from it, but even up in the hills it's not an amazingly long drive to a beach. We're also only about 20 minutes from the CBD and that has everything we want. I expect most Australian cities are similar in these regards, but I think many of them have significantly more traffic issues than here, at least that is the impression I get from posts on this forum. As for sports - Australians are obsessed with sport of all kinds so if sport is your hobby you'll be fine.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

stevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nice

Hi,, I'm from Flint, 20 mins down the road from Wrexham. Supported Wrexham FC all my life! I'm in Perth now so if you drop in here you will spot me as I'm probably the only one you'll see wearing a Wrexham shirt here! see quite a few Welsh tops knocking about though!