Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

U.K.to Australia forces wives who are nurses/job situation

U.K.to Australia forces wives who are nurses/job situation

Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

B McAleese is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U.K.to Australia forces wives who are nurses/job situation

My husband has been accepted by the Australian Army and hopes to arrive in Oz in October. I am a Staff Nurse and wondered if anyone had any advice to offer about me finding employment. Is it best to wait until I arrive or are there job agencies that I could be getting in touch with? Grateful for any advice.Annette.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:34 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.K.to Australia forces wives who are nurses/job situation

Originally Posted by B McAleese
My husband has been accepted by the Australian Army and hopes to arrive in Oz in October. I am a Staff Nurse and wondered if anyone had any advice to offer about me finding employment. Is it best to wait until I arrive or are there job agencies that I could be getting in touch with? Grateful for any advice.Annette.
i think u will get answers to your question if u post here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of visa have you got - temporary or permanent?

Jeremy
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

If you have a visa that allows you to work I would not worry about finding a nursing job when you get over here. There are loads of vacancies. As in the UK there is a massive shortage of nurses here.

Unlike the UK, which has one governing body (NMC), here each state has their own registration board and you have to be registered to work. The registration process is straight forward, but you will need your original documentation with you i.e.:

Any university transcripts
all ENB certificates
NMC registration record
two personal references
two professional references (headed note paper)

you can download the application forms from each states registration board. Simply fill it in take it to the registration board with your certificates and references, pay you money and then Bob's your uncle...

A further tip over here many do not know what a staff nurse is they are just referred to as RNs. If you use the term staff nurse it can cause confusion.

Sam
Old Jun 8th 2005, 7:06 am
Just Joined

B McAleese is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: U.K.to Australia forces wives who are nurses/job situation

Unsure at the moment as we haven't recieved them yet, but we are going under my husbands visa that is applied for by the Aussie Army, which will be a permanent visa as he has to become an Aussie Citizen after 90 days in the forces.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

Unsure at the moment as we haven't recieved them yet, but we are going under my husbands visa that is applied for by the Aussie Army, which will be a permanent visa as he has to become an Aussie Citizen after 90 days in the forces.
Hi,

You're visa will be S170 sub class 120.

Hope this helps.

Colin
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a permanent visa then that gives you complete freedom to work, as others have said you just need to register with the state/territory nursing body.

Have you got children under 16? If so, they should be able to get citizenship at the same time as your husband, although you will probably need to wait out the regular two years.

Jeremy