Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying West to Oz...

Flying West to Oz...

Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future
Default Flying West to Oz...

Sorry for sounding rather dim but how do you search for flights going west to Oz? I think I'd like to stopover in the USA but don't seem to be finding anything. How do I search these routes? What airlines fly this route? Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying West to Oz...

Originally Posted by kelusa
Sorry for sounding rather dim but how do you search for flights going west to Oz? I think I'd like to stopover in the USA but don't seem to be finding anything. How do I search these routes? What airlines fly this route? Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Try Travelbag - there's a bit on their website where you can get them to call you (may as well spend their money instead of blowing it on the 0870 number!). They have always been really helpful in the past and that way you can discuss the various options.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

we are flying west via NY and LA with a few days in each - £660 or so each with travelbag
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Try Air New Zealand and stopover in the Cook Islands

Lesley
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:46 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I've flown that way for the last four years, United from Heathrow to either LA or San Francisco (San Fran is the better of the two airports, less trekking around, newer and quieter). United's service has been great and have regularly got upgrades on the London - San Fran sector.

I've done a stopover to see a friend in Denver twice, usally end up going LHR-Chicago, Chicago-Denver, Denver-San Fran, San Fran-Sydney.

Have always booked through Flight Centre Direct and paid between £599 and £750 depending on time of year, if you're doing a return trip make sure to register for their Mileage Plus freq flyer points, one round trip gives you a silver card with guaranteed bulkhead/exit row seats (and on some Jumbos Economy Plus with more legroom) which makes the 14 1/2 hours to Aus a bit more bearable.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Thanks.

Which route has the least flying time?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:20 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't make a lot of difference on any of the 'direct' routes. Will depend on time of year due to tail/headwinds.

LHR to San Fran ranges from 10 1/2 to nearly 12 hours, San Fran to Sydney ranges from 13 1/2 to nearly 15 hours. (Last time I came they had a horrendous headwind across the Pacific and take off to touchdown was 14h 50 mins, by that time was itching to get off and stretch the legs.

It sounds a lot longer than going t'other way round, only difference is United flight leaves Heathrow about 2PM instead of around 10PM for Bad Airways, you get a 5 hour stopover in San Fran and flights arrive near enough the same time in Sydney.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
One way to find out is to look at the Sydney or Melbourne airport websites and look to see which airlines fly in from North America.

If flying into Sydney some of the main choices are:

- Qantas from LA (maybe a code-share with BA)
- Air Canada from Vancouver (optional stop in Hawaii)
- Air New Zealand from LA (stop in Auckland, and possibly elsewhere in the Pacific)
- United Airlines from either LA or San Francisco

Make sure your passport meets US requirements for the visa waiver (it must be machine readable and having children on parents passports is a no-no).

Jeremy