Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which types of UK card (debit/credit) are usable in Oz?

Which types of UK card (debit/credit) are usable in Oz?

Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:17 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of
Default Which types of UK card (debit/credit) are usable in Oz?

Just done a quick search for this and found nothing much directly relevant (apologies if I've missed an obvious thread!).

What UK debit or credit cards are directly usable in Oz (WA in our case). Initially this is for a holiday, but it's also relevant to the period immediately after one arrives as a migrant

As far as I know, debit cards aren't really used in Oz, though some of the credit-card-branded ones (like Mastercard) appear to be available. Current plan is to work out which credit card will give the best exchange rate when over, and do most purchases on that.

Thanks
b
Old Mar 8th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Which types of UK card (debit/credit) are usable in Oz?

Andy credit card will work, i.e. VISA, MasterCard, AMEX, etc.

All your debit cards will work EXCEPT Solo and Visa Electron. Most people probably have VISA DEBIT cards which should work fine. I find they work fine in all the shops, but ATMs refuse to give cash intermittently. Watch out for all the foreign transaction fees though...
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:41 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Devlin
All your debit cards will work EXCEPT Solo and Visa Electron. Most people probably have VISA DEBIT cards which should work fine.
So Maestro (Switch) cards work? That's useful to know, thanks!
cheers
b
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

You might want to check with your bank first, and let them know that you'll be in Australia. My debit card theoretically works there, but when I got there I found it wouldn't let me withdraw cash from an ATM.

On contacting my bank, they told me that they routinely block their cards from working because they view Australia as a high risk country for card fraud. Maybe this is because they don't seem to use chip and pin?

Anyway, once my bank knew I was legitimately in Australia, they removed the block from my card, and it then worked fine.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Not really relevant to your original question but useful to know (learn from my mistake!) when you use a credit/debit card abroad try to withdraw money from ATMs in/outside banks. I used my card in an ATM in a shopping centre in Robina and it swallowed up my card (this being the first day on my month long holiday...arrrgggg!) If it had happened in a branch ATM I would have had a chance of getting it back by talking to the bank manager but as it was just a random ATM there was no way of retrieving it as they are automatically destroyed!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

My maestro or my visa debit card didnt work when we were in oz last year also we had a problem lifting cash one day with our credit card, the machine didnt have any money in it and for some reason even though it spat my card back at me it wouldnt let me life any more cash for 24 hours, was a bloomin nightmare

Gillian
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

You will get asked - which account ?

They use savings/credit or cheque here.

If using visa debit you have to say credit or press the credit option.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

I had a first direct switch card, that wouldn't work as a debit card in oz, but I could get cash out no problem.....
Also worth notifying your card issuer that you will be travelling, this prevents them putting a stop on the card due to an irregular spending pattern....
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by benlast
So Maestro (Switch) cards work? That's useful to know, thanks!
cheers
b
See above post -- This was NOT the case for me in Aus last year...