Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

two year wait???can it be true??

two year wait???can it be true??

Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of
Default Re: two year wait???can it be true??

Originally Posted by ijo
I did front load, the police checks were done in March and the meds in June. I would advise doing them closer together than we did as they will take the earlier of the two and use that as the date of latest entry into Oz. Have you emailed the auto response at aspc it will email you back with the batch of visas that are being dealt with that week it helps with the hope process, the email is [email protected] no need to put in a subject just send and they reply automatically updates every Tuesday good luck

Ian

Hi Ian

Yes - know about that email address - it's so depressing though - they've been processing 1-8th march for the last 3 weeks at least!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:12 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

I just read someones timeline on another site and they got theirs in 9 weeks! granted may this year i think. they frontloaded, i understand that makes things a weeny bit quicker ... but 9 weeks is amazing!!

Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:33 am
ijo
Ian O

ijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JosieJ
Hi Ian

Yes - know about that email address - it's so depressing though - they've been processing 1-8th march for the last 3 weeks at least!
Sorry should have known the site was general knowledge- apparently its been processing the same batch as that was when there was the biggest influx of applications mine was in the week before I have also noticed there seems to be a MODL within the MODL as some trade are processed in double quick time. I might be wrong who knows.

Ian
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:40 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iPom
Unless you've been married for a certain amount of years. I've been married 12 and therefore got permanent residency straight away. I'll apply for citizenship in a year and a half.
But the law changes Jan 2007, and it will then add another year on to your wait for citizenship.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulf
But the law changes Jan 2007, and it will then add another year on to your wait for citizenship.
How do you know that and where did you get your info?
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:06 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steandleigh

This was on the forum a few months ago, is it going to be three years wait until you can become a citizen where it is currently two years?
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:14 pm
ijo
Ian O

ijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to allijo is a name known to all

Hi Folks I just thopught this may or may not clear things up.

Our Chairman Neil Hitchcock traveled to Canberra recently to appear before a Parliamentary Inquiry into the new Australian Citizenship Bill. Neil was representing the Migration Institute of Australia (MIA). The new Bill should become law around July/August this year.

We mentioned in our last newsletter that one of the major changes in the new Australian citizenship legislation is an increase in the residential qualifying period from 2 to 3 years.

It is proposed that in the transition from the old 2 year rule to the new 3 year rule, only those people who had lodged their citizenship applications prior to the new law coming into effect would be allowed to be treated under the old role.

The MIA argued in its submission to the Inquiry that this was not procedurally fair to those migrants who arrived prior to commencement of the new legislation with an expectation that they would be able qualify for citizenship under the two year rule which was in effect when they arrived in Australia as migrants.

The final report of the Inquiry, released a few days ago included a recommendation to this effect. Let us hope that The Minister and her Department adopt this recommendation. That would only be fair.

Ian O
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:29 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of
Question Re: two year wait???can it be true??

Originally Posted by ykx1426
Took us 5 months Feb - Jun 06.

Obviously - compare like for like when looking at visa processing times.

We were a 136 visa with MODL

Best of luck with your application

oh my god, that is quick. You can't really plan for anything when it hits you that quickly. it just shows you never really know how long it takes. by the way I'm new so not sure I'm doing this right, or writing in the right place.
soon know!!!

bec
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The latest on the citizenship bill is that they are looking at making it law on Australia day next year. From then it will be three years, not two, to citizenship.

I'm sure that all the agents will post as soon as they get definite news on it.