TV's in OZ

Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

perryman38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV's in OZ

Hi ya,

I am moving out to Sydney with my partner in March and I am sorting out shipping currently. Is there anyone out there who can say for sure that a UK TV will work in Oz? Is so, what did you do to get it going?

Any help would be expremally useful.

Regards to all....

DP
Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:04 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Dun to death:

Search
Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:05 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV's in OZ

Originally posted by perryman38
Hi ya,

I am moving out to Sydney with my partner in March and I am sorting out shipping currently. Is there anyone out there who can say for sure that a UK TV will work in Oz? Is so, what did you do to get it going?

Regards to all....

DP
The tv wont work as it has a different tuner in it & it wont pick up any tv signals. It will only work through a video or to play videos if not adapted. You have 3 options

1. bring it with you & get it adapted when you get here. Price around $50-100 I believe.
2. Bring it & buy a cheap aussie video player so you can use the tuner in that to pick up local stations
3. leave it in the UK, sell it & use the money you get to buy a new one here.

Plenty of previous threads on this subject, have fun

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jan 15th 2004 at 11:08 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the general consensus is to bring TVs out. If you intend getting cable/Foxtel, you won’t have any problems. If you only intend watching terrestrial TV, there may be a couple of channels you can’t pick up.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:17 pm
Brisbane

Trayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Just shipped two TV's to OZ (Adelaide).

They will only receive pictures through the arial, there is no sound.

They work fine when going through an OZ video player or Foxtel satelite box.

Also ours are widescreen and only a few years old and they seem to be quite expensive here, so we are glad we brought them. It would have cost more than a cheap vidoe player to replace them.

All the best,

Tracey
Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:32 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ya,

Regards to all....

DP

UK TVs may work in Australia though whether they get a better reception than OZ TVs I'm not sure.

Should have a better chance of working in Sydney, they're more cosmopolitan there.

Each to their own...
Old Jan 16th 2004, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

My brother took his digital tv over and it works perfectly well. The menu comes up with a choice of countries and he picked Australia - no Aussie VCR ! So if you have a digital it seems that you have nothing to worry about though if you are not sure then you could always ring the company who make your tv and ask.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

We have now decided to take our 8 month old wide screen digital TV but a small problem is that we didnt keep the box it came in. Did any of you who shipped it have this problem? I'm wondering if the shipping company will sort this out no problem or whether we should try to get a replacement box. They are pretty heavy and would I imagine be easy to damage if not handled with care.

Any thoughts
Old Jan 16th 2004, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Funky Chicken is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya,

Regards to all....

DP
A UK TV will pick up a picture but may not get the sound. Sound in Oz is on a different frequency. My TV will get the sound as many modern TV's will as you can set the sound frequenct offset. The main problen is that almost al TVs are built to work in either southern or northern hemisphere. Using TV in wrong hemisphere will result in poor colour purity and will knacker the TV quite quickly. It is possible to set alter the 'landing' of the beam on most TVs by changing the magnets (either electro or fixed) around the yoke of the CRT, Not sure how much this costs and is probably not worht it.

For a proper informed desc try: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm#crtnsh

Cheers, FC.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 2:57 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Read www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/faq.php

There are places in Perth and I am sure other states that advertise conversion services, (not that expensive) most new TVs are capable of the mod, check with manafacturer if unsure.

Last edited by Jirrupin; Jan 16th 2004 at 3:00 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 6:52 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scotvness
We have now decided to take our 8 month old wide screen digital TV but a small problem is that we didnt keep the box it came in. Did any of you who shipped it have this problem? I'm wondering if the shipping company will sort this out no problem or whether we should try to get a replacement box. They are pretty heavy and would I imagine be easy to damage if not handled with care.

Any thoughts

The removal company quoted us to put the television in a protective wooden box for a cost of £75.00.

Cheers,
Old Jan 16th 2004, 7:35 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops, sorry,
Thought this thread was about transvestites down under
Old Jan 16th 2004, 7:41 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default tv`s

Originally posted by Arron
Oops, sorry,
Thought this thread was about transvestites down under
LOL