TV via VPN

Old Jul 5th 2022, 7:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV via VPN

Originally Posted by Beoz
So once signed up you are setting the DNS on the device right? If so does that mean the entire device is being seen as in one country? So you could watch BBC but not SBS? Or is it set by App?
You change DNS settings on a device. You could change it on your router/modem and then all of your devices would be set to one service but it's not a good solution. Smart DNS Proxy (which I use) sets different apps or streaming services to different countries that you choose. So on one of my Nvidia Shield's, Netflix is set to the US, BBC to the UK obviously and SBS to Australia. It's really straightforward to configure. The only service I have a problem with is Channel 4 as the app is virtually impossible to install (even people in the UK have a problem). You can overcome it by accessing C4 via a PC as it's then it's just webpage in your browser. You could do this via a home theatre PC connected directly to your TV (what I do) or via a Windows-based device that you can cast to your Shield (such as a Microsoft Surface tablet/PC), Chromecast or Fire Stick

Some screen shots of Smart DNS support page:

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 5th 2022 at 7:33 am.
Old Jul 6th 2022, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You change DNS settings on a device. You could change it on your router/modem and then all of your devices would be set to one service but it's not a good solution. Smart DNS Proxy (which I use) sets different apps or streaming services to different countries that you choose. So on one of my Nvidia Shield's, Netflix is set to the US, BBC to the UK obviously and SBS to Australia. It's really straightforward to configure. The only service I have a problem with is Channel 4 as the app is virtually impossible to install (even people in the UK have a problem). You can overcome it by accessing C4 via a PC as it's then it's just webpage in your browser. You could do this via a home theatre PC connected directly to your TV (what I do) or via a Windows-based device that you can cast to your Shield (such as a Microsoft Surface tablet/PC), Chromecast or Fire Stick

Some screen shots of Smart DNS support page:

Perfect thanks. Great info
Old Jul 6th 2022, 11:59 am
Just Joined

OpalHunter is an unknown quantity at this point

You can access all the tv back in the UK without a vpn or changing your dns etc.

Nvidia sheilds are good piece of kit. I personally use a firestick, fraction of the cost and never had an issue yet.
Old Jul 8th 2022, 1:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OpalHunter
You can access all the tv back in the UK without a vpn or changing your dns etc.
Care to share your solution?

I know kodi is an option for this but I don't like it - too flaky, and you can also buy a dodgy fully-loaded Android box
Old Jul 12th 2022, 4:02 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
At least someone else gets it that DNS redirect is much better than a VPN!
Are they working again, I know netflix blocked them, not sure if they still do?
Old Jul 12th 2022, 2:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by themerlin
Are they working again, I know netflix blocked them, not sure if they still do?
US Netflix is working
Old Jul 13th 2022, 9:07 pm
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve just move back to Aus from the Middle East where VPNs are heavily used.

For TV stations a paid VPN is really needed and we used Express VPN who also have a good customer support too. We used it for both Australian and UK channels.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Just arrived late to the VPN party so to speak and got the NORD VPN. Got it primarily to watch UK TV on an amazon fire stick. It does work but with BBC i player we have found that we have to clear the cache in the app each time we want to use it. Quick question if anyone knows, is this just the normal hassle of using a VPN or have I got it set up wrong?
Old Jun 19th 2023, 2:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Just arrived late to the VPN party so to speak and got the NORD VPN. Got it primarily to watch UK TV on an amazon fire stick. It does work but with BBC i player we have found that we have to clear the cache in the app each time we want to use it. Quick question if anyone knows, is this just the normal hassle of using a VPN or have I got it set up wrong?
I used Nord for a couple of years before leaving Aus, and had no issues with iplayer. I maybe had to clear the cache every couple of months, but from memory it was usually because of ITV/C4, rather than BBC..