TV via VPN

Old Jun 21st 2022, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Jon Bates is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV via VPN

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice regarding a suitable, safe and secure VPN to use which will allow us to access TV and other content which we can't see in Australia.

Many things like UK TV stuff which isn't accessible on the Fetch TV system of Foxtel.

Research suggests that Express VPN is good but I'd like to advice from real users, if there are any on here who have experience of ease of use, security, speed etc.

We installed a VPN several years ago but it never really worked very well and we ended up canning it due to security risks, given the amount of things we now almost have to do using the internet, Banking, online shopping, money transfers etc.

I need something that is very secure and, of course, works with an internet security package like Norton.

Anybody have any knowledge, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Jon
Old Jun 22nd 2022, 12:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV via VPN

Originally Posted by Jon Bates
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice regarding a suitable, safe and secure VPN to use which will allow us to access TV and other content which we can't see in Australia.

Many things like UK TV stuff which isn't accessible on the Fetch TV system of Foxtel.

Research suggests that Express VPN is good but I'd like to advice from real users, if there are any on here who have experience of ease of use, security, speed etc.

We installed a VPN several years ago but it never really worked very well and we ended up canning it due to security risks, given the amount of things we now almost have to do using the internet, Banking, online shopping, money transfers etc.

I need something that is very secure and, of course, works with an internet security package like Norton.

Anybody have any knowledge, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Jon
I've been mucking around with this for years, and here is my conclusion:
VPNs are a waste of time and a PITA
Go DNS redirect instead
Plenty of info online on how to do it
I use Smart DNS Proxy and it works for all the UK channels - $35 for 2 years
Better still get a Streamlocator Hub - https://www.streamlocator.com/. A bit more pricey but a fantastic piece of kit
For a streaming device, get an Nvidia Shield Pro - you can get one at The Good Guys or PLE or even Harvey Norman if you are a moron. This is the best small box streaming device out there bar none - forget joke units like Apple TV
A Home Theater PC is also a good option as there is no need to install apps (Channel 4 is a real pain to get) as all channels are just web pages in a browser. An Intel NUC running Windows 11 is a great choice
We watch BBC iplayer, ITV, 4 and 5 whenever we want, no hassles. If you want to watch Sky Atlantic, sport etc you need to look at things like Kodi. It's doable but I find it too flaky and aften too much of a hassle - and there's only so much TV that you can watch

Good luck and have fun
Old Jun 22nd 2022, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I have had Hola for 3 years with no problems at all. Get to watch all UK Channels.
Old Jun 22nd 2022, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I use Nord and have done for several years, very happy with it
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 12:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I use Nord and have done for several years, very happy with it
I've just started using them. I used Media Hint for several years but they have fallen over several times recently and I've not been able to get iplayer at all for a few days at a time. Nord seem to be pretty good, very pleased so far.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Spacey_ is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Nord from time to time
Old Jun 27th 2022, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

we use Express VPN and they also offer DNS as part of the service. We use the DNS with our apple box and it is more stable than the vpn.
They also have decent customer service and have helped with technical issues.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 1:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
we use Express VPN and they also offer DNS as part of the service. We use the DNS with our apple box and it is more stable than the vpn.
They also have decent customer service and have helped with technical issues.
At least someone else gets it that DNS redirect is much better than a VPN!
Old Jun 27th 2022, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.top10vpn.com/guides/dns-vs-vpn/
Old Jun 30th 2022, 10:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
This article kind of backs up my viewpoint about VPNs vs DNS

VPNs are unreliable and you don't get the speed hit that is a feature of them. The faster your connection the better as a service like iplayer or ITV doesn't have a a sever in Australia, so you're access a UK server - which essentially is your modem at the end of a very long pipe, so you need all the pressure you can get. Who cares if you can't hide your IP or encrypt your data - you're not breaking any laws by accessing the BBC. You're just breaking their rules and not paying for it - which is their fault as the UK still has a backward and archaic TV tax in the digital 21st century. If you acess a commercial service like ITV, 4 or 5, you get to watch their ads - which is hard as UK ads are f**king awful. Fortunately, they don't have as many as Australian stations do - whch are equally awful
Old Jul 1st 2022, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
For a streaming device, get an Nvidia Shield Pro - you can get one at The Good Guys or PLE or even Harvey Norman if you are a moron. This is the best small box streaming device out there bar none - forget joke units like Apple TV
A Home Theater PC is also a good option as there is no need to install apps (Channel 4 is a real pain to get) as all channels are just web pages in a browser. An Intel NUC running Windows 11 is a great choice
I need to get this sorted. Lazy arse here is paying for Foxtel to wife can watch British TV. Last pays more. What are the benefits of the NVIDIA over the cheaper devices?
Old Jul 1st 2022, 12:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
I need to get this sorted. Lazy arse here is paying for Foxtel to wife can watch British TV. Last pays more. What are the benefits of the NVIDIA over the cheaper devices?
In 2022, Foxtel is ridiculously archaic and overpriced. I got rid of it years ago

The Shield Pro is just an awesome device. It plays 4k flawlessly, without hassle - which is not always the case. You can use it as a media server via Plex (software to play your downloaded content) and it's relatively easy to install non-Australia apps like BBC iplayer. It just works so well

Amazon currently have it on sale for $248, which is $100 less than the normal price

The general consensus among cord cutters (what this is all about) is that the Shield is the DB

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B08638Z1ZT
Old Jul 1st 2022, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

In 2022, Foxtel is ridiculously archaic and overpriced. I got rid of it years ago

The Shield Pro is just an awesome device. It plays 4k flawlessly, without hassle - which is not always the case. You can use it as a media server via Plex (software to play your downloaded content) and it's relatively easy to install non-Australia apps like BBC iplayer. It just works so well

Amazon currently have it on sale for $248, which is $100 less than the normal price

The general consensus among cord cutters (what this is all about) is that the Shield is the DB

I would have ditched Foxtel years ago if it wasn't for the Brit stuff for the wife. I have just been lazy.

I did read something about it up scaling non 4k content to 4k. Maybe I misunderstood.
Old Jul 1st 2022, 5:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
I would have ditched Foxtel years ago if it wasn't for the Brit stuff for the wife. I have just been lazy.

I did read something about it up scaling non 4k content to 4k. Maybe I misunderstood.
I'm not sure about that but it plays native 4k content perfectly
Old Jul 5th 2022, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So once signed up you are setting the DNS on the device right? If so does that mean the entire device is being seen as in one country? So you could watch BBC but not SBS? Or is it set by App?

Last edited by Beoz; Jul 5th 2022 at 4:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.