Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

turning your back on the uk,selfish or not?

turning your back on the uk,selfish or not?

Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:32 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default turning your back on the uk,selfish or not?

reading through one of the posts on how illness amongst family members was a big hurdle for people to get over and their move to oz,it made me stop and think..how i admire them...

is this really bad?

i have an elderly grand mother and a mother about 55 brothers and sisters around the same age as me.my plan was to fly my mom over once a year and pay her airfare so she could see her grand kids. as for my grandmother it will probably be the last time i see her,thats obviously not going to be as easy as what i thought ,as its not that easy writing this...
when i leave for oz in October i was going to get on that plane and say my last goodbyes to everyone i know,friends and family.i am sure there are others that have done this but i honestly dont think that i will ever come back to these shores again,unless perhaps for a funeral..

i am only being honest.is that really bad?selfish?

asst...

Last edited by aston man; Nov 15th 2006 at 12:38 am.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: turning your back on the uk,selfish or not?

Originally Posted by aston man
reading through one of the posts on how illness amongst family members was a big hurdle for people to get over and their move to oz,it made me stop and think..how i admire them...

is this really bad?

i have an elderly grand mother and a mother about 55 brothers and sisters around the same age as me.my plan was to fly my mom over once a year and pay her airfare so she could see our grand kids as for my grandmother it will probably be the last time i see her,thats obviously not going to be as easy as what i thought as its not that easy writing this...
when i left for oz in October i was going to get on that plane and say my last goodbyes to everyone i know,friends and family.i am sure there are others that have done this but i honestly dont think that i will ever come back to these shores again,unless perhaps for a funeral..

asst...

I suppose it is selfish in a way, but then on the other side of the coin it's also selfish of your family if they tried to stop you from going.

I've left my 19 year old in the UK, now is that selfish?. Or is it selfish that he didn't want to come? Or would it have been selfish if I'd made him come?.

Lifes too short to keep asking yourself what if this and what if that. My Mum died at the age of 54 and the week she was let out of hospital to come home to die, she said to me 'go to Australia and make a life for yourself and the kids there, don't look back and make me proud of you.' She also said 'treat each day like it's your last cos one day it will be'
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

is this really bad?

i have an elderly grand mother and a mother about 55 brothers and sisters around the same age as me.my plan was to fly my mom over once a year and pay her airfare so she could see her grand kids as for my grandmother it will probably be the last time i see her,thats obviously not going to be as easy as what i thought as its not that easy writing this...
when i leave for oz in October i was going to get on that plane and say my last goodbyes to everyone i know,friends and family.i am sure there are others that have done this but i honestly dont think that i will ever come back to these shores again,unless perhaps for a funeral..

asst...
If you are from a very close family then it is very hard to emigrate successfully. The pull of family is not to be underestimated & is one of the main factors for people not settling here. Tough but true.

Fortunately for me the further away I can get from my family the better.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

In my opinion it would be selfish if you didn't do what YOU wanted with YOUR life, this isnt a dress rehearsal, we get just one shot at it and we do the best we can.

In this day and age with technology etc Australia isn't that far from the uk, there is email, the telephone and good old snail mail, i personally 'chat' to friends/family more now than i ever did in the uk!

hugs from Rach x
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

is this really bad?

i have an elderly grand mother and a mother about 55 brothers and sisters around the same age as me.my plan was to fly my mom over once a year and pay her airfare so she could see her grand kids as for my grandmother it will probably be the last time i see her,thats obviously not going to be as easy as what i thought as its not that easy writing this...

asst...
I don't see how it can be. People have been leaving to go on to pastures new for generations, and they didn't have the luxury of broadband, phone or video conferencing.

I think it's an individual thing as to how you deal with seperation.

I am fully expecting my daughter and children to return to the UK to work in her late teens and 20s and maybe to stay there for good. Such is the rich tapestry of life, and the opportunities I have given them to live and work in more than one country.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:47 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you are from a very close family then it is very hard to emigrate successfully. The pull of family is not to be underestimated & is one of the main factors for people not settling here. Tough but true.

well ill throw me cards on the table then,yes ill also be glad to see the back of my lot apart from as i said my grandmother,mother and one of my brothers.

but as i said i honestly dont think that i will ever come back apart from their funerals.my mother and grandmother that is.

i honestly am going to get on that plane,nobody at the airport as that would be the last thing i would want and i will look back but only to have one last look.

selfish...?i just dont know..
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:57 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

well ill throw me cards on the table then,yes ill also be glad to see the back of my lot apart from as i said my grandmother,mother and one of my brothers.

but as i said i honestly dont think that i will ever come back apart from their funerals.my mother and grandmother that is.

i honestly am going to get on that plane,nobody at the airport as that would be the last thing i would want and i will look back but only to have one last look.

selfish...?i just dont know..
Are you close to any friends or family that you'll miss? They can always come and visit you, or you can meet up with them at some point on the globe.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chels
Are you close to any friends or family that you'll miss? They can always come and visit you, or you can meet up with them at some point on the globe.
well to be honest,im going to oz with every intention of starting all over again ,brand new life alltogether,that will obviously include making new friends.
as for friends here ,its no problem for them to jump on a plane and stay with us.

i was refering to my closest family,i have never really turned round to them and asked "what do you think about never seeing me and the grandkids again?",jezuss how bad does that sound,but they would only say "were o.k get on with your life",they wouldnt turn round and say"oh yes were glad to see the back of you and its going to save us a few quid on the christmas prezzies"

it quite a hard one ,time to put me head in the sand again me thinks

Last edited by aston man; Nov 15th 2006 at 1:16 am.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:09 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

is this really bad?

i have an elderly grand mother and a mother about 55 brothers and sisters around the same age as me.my plan was to fly my mom over once a year and pay her airfare so she could see her grand kids. as for my grandmother it will probably be the last time i see her,thats obviously not going to be as easy as what i thought ,as its not that easy writing this...

asst...
If I had that many siblings I dont think anyone would notice to be honest
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say take it one step at a time. It is natural to have lots of thoughts like this, but you don't know what the future holds and how you will actually feel. Just concentrate on what you need to get over there for now. Good luck.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:10 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

well to be honest,im going to oz with every intention of starting all over again ,brand new life alltogether,that will obviously include making new friends.
as for friends here ,its no problem for them to jump on a plane and stay with us.

i was refering to my closest family,i haver never really turned round to them and asked "what do you think about never seeing me and the grandkids again?",jezuss how bad does that sound,but they would only say "were o.k get on with your life",they wouldnt turn round and say"oh yes were glad to see the back of you and its going to save us a few quid on the christmas prezzies"

it quite a hard one ,time to put me head in the sand again me thinks
If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't worry about not seeing my family again, quite the opposite. It was a great opportunity to escape them...

Friends on the other hand I have missed more than I expected to, especially ones who go back years. It is very hard to recreate 20 odd years of experiences with people you have only just met.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:15 am
Banned

[QUOTE=Kate2112]If I had that many siblings I dont think anyone would notice to be honest [/QUOTE

tell you what these things can come in useful from time to time.......,,,,,,,......,,,,...,.,..,
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Wendy
I suppose it is selfish in a way, but then on the other side of the coin it's also selfish of your family if they tried to stop you from going.

I've left my 19 year old in the UK, now is that selfish?. Or is it selfish that he didn't want to come? Or would it have been selfish if I'd made him come?.

Lifes too short to keep asking yourself what if this and what if that. My Mum died at the age of 54 and the week she was let out of hospital to come home to die, she said to me 'go to Australia and make a life for yourself and the kids there, don't look back and make me proud of you.' She also said 'treat each day like it's your last cos one day it will be'

wendy i can see where you get it from,if you dont mind me saying.
how do you manage it?your always there supporting everyone..

good on yer,me thinks your great.

marcus...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:24 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
sometime Australia is still not far enough away from some ......
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

Originally Posted by walaj
sometime Australia is still not far enough away from some ......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.