Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

turning your back on the uk,selfish or not?

turning your back on the uk,selfish or not?

Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: turning your back on the uk,selfish or not?

Originally Posted by aston man
wendy i can see where you get it from,if you dont mind me saying.
how do you manage it?your always there supporting everyone..

good on yer,me thinks your great.

marcus...

I just take it one day at a time mate. It also helps to be a little bit mad
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:27 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

but as i said i honestly dont think that i will ever come back apart from their funerals.my mother and grandmother that is.
what about using the money for the airfare for them to come out to see you in Australia instead? Whilst it will be a difficult decision re funerals of close relations not to return, my view at the moment is I would rather use limited funds to see them when they are alive.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

when i leave for oz in October i was going to get on that plane and say my last goodbyes to everyone i know,friends and family.i am sure there are others that have done this but i honestly dont think that i will ever come back to these shores again,unless perhaps for a funeral..

i am only being honest.is that really bad?selfish?

asst...

I dont know how bad your life is in the UK but you have never been to australia, yet you are so sure it will be so great that you will not even want to see your family again.

It might be hard to believe now, but there will be things about australia that will piss you off, things and people you dont like, people who whinge on job sites, people who will take you for a ride. You will pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV and see much the same as in the UK. The government will certainly piss you off.

After you have been there and done that for a while a more balanced picture will emerge, and like many people who said "I will never go back" you will probably end up just like the rest of us, scratching around the find the incredible prices they charge here for airfares for a trip back to see family.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you are from a very close family then it is very hard to emigrate successfully. The pull of family is not to be underestimated & is one of the main factors for people not settling here. Tough but true.

Fortunately for me the further away I can get from my family the better.
Could not agree with you more. Sometimes even half a world away is not enough

Sharon
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:28 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I dont know how bad your life is in the UK but you have never been to australia, yet you are so sure it will be so great that you will not even want to see your family again.

It might be hard to believe now, but there will be things about australia that will piss you off, things and people you dont like, people who whinge on job sites, people who will take you for a ride. You will pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV and see much the same as in the UK. The government will certainly piss you off.

After you have been there and done that for a while a more balanced picture will emerge, and like many people who said "I will never go back" you will probably end up just like the rest of us, scratching around the find the incredible prices they charge here for airfares for a trip back to see family.

i totally agree with you,i know exactly what you are saying,a friend picked up a local paper and to be fare,i was quite surprised that it was no different to my local paper in some cases worse.

I'm sorry to disagree with you as you were so kind to reply to my question but i have to for now,I'm putting everything into my move,I'm 110% committed ,i feel i have to be or its a waste of time going.
i have already pursued routes of joining voluntary groups to meet new friends,so lets hope i meet a few and enjoy a good social life.i forgot to mention we also have wife's relatives over there.
and yes i might get peed off now and again but thats life..but were are all different and i intend to make the most of mine...

Last edited by aston man; Nov 15th 2006 at 2:41 am.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you are from a very close family then it is very hard to emigrate successfully. The pull of family is not to be underestimated & is one of the main factors for people not settling here. Tough but true.

Fortunately for me the further away I can get from my family the better.

I am with you on that one although mine and the husbands still manage to piss us off from 10k+ miles away.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

reading through one of the posts on how illness amongst family members was a big hurdle for people to get over and their move to oz,it made me stop and think..how i admire them...

is this really bad?

i have an elderly grand mother and a mother about 55 brothers and sisters around the same age as me.my plan was to fly my mom over once a year and pay her airfare so she could see her grand kids. as for my grandmother it will probably be the last time i see her,thats obviously not going to be as easy as what i thought ,as its not that easy writing this...
when i leave for oz in October i was going to get on that plane and say my last goodbyes to everyone i know,friends and family.i am sure there are others that have done this but i honestly dont think that i will ever come back to these shores again,unless perhaps for a funeral..

i am only being honest.is that really bad?selfish?

asst...
No you are not being selfish and dont ever think you are. Parents will use emotional blackmail if they can, but my attitude is, you give birth to kids to give them a life, a life is what they should have..their life!
Parents, Grandparents have all lead their lives in which way they chose, you should do the same.
If any of my kids want to go back to Uk, Europe, Aussie or wherever I would never stand in their way.
But never say never about wanting to go back to the Uk. I said the same 4.5 years ago. Now I have just been back for the first time and wondered why the hell I left in the first place! Thats life.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am with you on that one although mine and the husbands still manage to piss us off from 10k+ miles away.
Thank God I am not alone!!
I was beginning to think my MIL was the only one using emotional blackmail and its true, its very very tough on the son/daughter of the one who's parent(s) are pulling at the heart strings.
When I told my Dad I was emigrating to NZ he said "Oh very good, when are you going?"
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:40 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

I'm not Australia's biggest fan, but no matter how much it pissed me off I still wouldn't want to see my family again!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:53 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's selfish at all. You have your own life to live and as someone said you only get one chance, so go for it and enjoy it.

My Grandmother thought we should have stayed there for her and thought we were very selfish to leave. My Aunt thinks we are selfish.

We brought our 17 year old who didn't want to come, she thought we were selfish for bringing her and went back to the UK after 6 weeks.

My husbands family all thought she was selfish for leaving us here - and told her so.

Everyone has their own thoughts on what everyone else should do. I've learned it's probably best to just do what you feel is right - you can't please everyone all of the time.

Good luck & enjoy