Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:15 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: North Gold Coast or south Brisbane??

Originally Posted by fish.01
"here", as in northern GC?
"here" as in Australia, from my experience anyway.

I was out hooning last week, excellent sport I tell ya!
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
"here" as in Australia, from my experience anyway.

I was out hooning last week, excellent sport I tell ya!
Nah, must be you No where I have lived in Brisbane has had that problem. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in estates like Coomera though but that might just be my Brisbane bias showing... Coomera is a bit stuck out in the middle of Brisbane and the Gold Coast...kids must get bored

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 10th 2012 at 9:22 am.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:26 am
Account Closed

Nah, must be you No where I have lived in Brisbane has had that problem. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in estates like Coomera though but that might just be my Brisbane bias showing... Coomera is a bit stuck out in the middle of Brisbane and the Gold Coast...kids must get bored
You've telling me you don't hear this late at night?

Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3qCPtOn-3qI&feature=plcp
No, never. Did the estate agent tell you it's normal ?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3qCPtOn-3qI&feature=plcp
Never.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 10:11 am
Account Closed

No, never. Did the estate agent tell you it's normal ?
I didn't speak to any estate agent ...
Old Nov 10th 2012, 11:31 am
Just Joined

boxer1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

To be honest because of the nature of our move, me leaving the army, leaving uk for good, and selling all our stuff, I really need to rent somewhere for us to move into as soon as we get there, unless you know of any alternative options other than spending shed loads on hotels so we can have a look around first.....
Old Nov 10th 2012, 1:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You're unlikely to find a rental that you are approved for inside 2/3 weeks. Most people take a short term holiday let when they first arrive. There's a holiday park at Mount Gravatt which could be your best bet as you're looking around that way. Just had a look, they used to be Big4 but are now Brisbane Gateway Resort. Then you just have to hit the ground running. You really don't want to sign up for a house for six months without checking out the neighbourhood for yourselves.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You're unlikely to find a rental that you are approved for inside 2/3 weeks. Most people take a short term holiday let when they first arrive. There's a holiday park at Mount Gravatt which could be your best bet as you're looking around that way. Just had a look, they used to be Big4 but are now Brisbane Gateway Resort. Then you just have to hit the ground running. You really don't want to sign up for a house for six months without checking out the neighbourhood for yourselves.
FYI, that park is down in Rochedale. The one at Upper Mt Gravatt (well almost, just over the border in Eight Mile Plains) is Brisbane Holiday Village: http://www.brisbaneholidayvillage.com.au/

Good find MP, I didn't know brisbane gateway resort existed...
Old Nov 10th 2012, 10:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

FYI, that park is down in Rochedale. The one at Upper Mt Gravatt (well almost, just over the border in Eight Mile Plains) is Brisbane Holiday Village: http://www.brisbaneholidayvillage.com.au/

Good find MP, I didn't know brisbane gateway resort existed...
Oops
Old Nov 11th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxer1982
To be honest because of the nature of our move, me leaving the army, leaving uk for good, and selling all our stuff, I really need to rent somewhere for us to move into as soon as we get there, unless you know of any alternative options other than spending shed loads on hotels so we can have a look around first.....
You actually have to apply for rentals here. The agent submits all the applications and your references to the landlord, then they decide who gets it, so you are unlikely to get anything other than a holiday let without being here. Most people rent a short-stay furnished house/unit/caravan for a few weeks whilst they get a long term let arranged. That will mean signing a 12 month lease (possibly 6 months, but unusual) so you need to find somewhere you won't want to move from after 3 months.
http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/
Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Well we started off in Upper Coomera, then had 6 months in Coomera Waters, then back to Upper Coomera till we moved up here.

Hmmmmm, pinch of salt what the Real Estate say! ...

I personally wouldn't touch the place again. We only lived that way cos the kids went to the Upper Coomera State School (rubbish), but once they both dropped out of school (yep it's that good there!) we got out a bit lively!

When a suburb has an area called River Meadows, but knicknamed 'River Ghettos' ... I'd be wary!

Full of rentals is Coomera and Upper Coomera and from my experience people who rent often don't give a shit about the upkeep of the place.

Also the 'Coomera Boys' and their V8 Commodores will be heard most nights, but then that's kinda normal wherever you live here TBH.

Coomera's well handy for drugs tho, if that's your thing! ...

Agreed, we live on at Hope Island which is nice, also take a look at the nearby areas like Monteray Keys (we used to live there). You need to visit but there is a huge difference between some places, even if they seem fairly close together.

Something like this might suit you? http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...vale-408983487

Finding a rental is painful though and you can't really do it from overseas, it took us 6 weeks to find the right place when we first arrived a couple of years ago, as above you need all kinds of ID and references, for both of you even if you're married, then you apply and the owner picks the applicant they want, we had no problems doing a 6 month contract though.

Last edited by coldbeer; Nov 12th 2012 at 4:57 am.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of

Took us 3 to 4 weeks to get a house. Lost 2 rentals in the process of not having OZ drivers licence, bank account, employment contract etc...ready. We live on the northern end of the gold coast and love it. Some areas have better reputations than others as with the UK. Depends what you are looking for. My husband works in Brisbane and get's the train from Helensvale every day. Also if you have school age children needing state school places then check out the schools before finding the house. Some are full and some have very small catchment areas. Some of the schools are very good some are shockingly bad. The GC is also very international. My english friend in Coomera lives in a street full of Mauri's. She is settled and happy, others would not like to live outside of their cultural comfort zone. You really need to book a short term let, get a hire car and get out and about. The Gold Coast Holiday Park is pretty nice.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

boxer1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for your help, we've been talking and might be worth staying in a short term rental for a week or two until we find the area we want. Can anyone suggest any decent sites that have short term rentals around the GC? Many thanks again.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by boxer1982
Thanks a lot for your help, we've been talking and might be worth staying in a short term rental for a week or two until we find the area we want. Can anyone suggest any decent sites that have short term rentals around the GC? Many thanks again.
Its a major tourism location so hotels/apartments aplenty, if you really prefer a holiday home try stayz.com.au - I suggest 2 weeks would be very quick to fully check out all areas and agree a rental, especially if you're working too.

Very good, great value serviced apartments at the Meriton Southport - make sure you get a Broadwater view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.