Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

Old Nov 7th 2012, 11:21 am
Just Joined

boxer1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default North Gold Coast or south Brisbane??

Hi, me and my family are moving to the Gold Coast / Brisbane in April next year. I'm going to be working around both areas so would like to be sort of central. I've looked at areas such as coomera, Ormeau and pimpana, and oxen ford which all seem really nice. I've been warned to stay clear of anywhere after Ormeau until you get to Brisbane..... Is this wise? Basically I'm trying to narrow our property search down to 2 suburbs. My wage alone will be 150k. We looking for an area with good schools, medical services, shopping, outdoor activities.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated especially from anyone who live in these areas. Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:14 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Gold Coast or south Brisbane??

Originally Posted by boxer1982
Hi, me and my family are moving to the Gold Coast / Brisbane in April next year. I'm going to be working around both areas so would like to be sort of central. I've looked at areas such as coomera, Ormeau and pimpana, and oxen ford which all seem really nice. I've been warned to stay clear of anywhere after Ormeau until you get to Brisbane..... Is this wise? Basically I'm trying to narrow our property search down to 2 suburbs. My wage alone will be 150k. We looking for an area with good schools, medical services, shopping, outdoor activities.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated especially from anyone who live in these areas. Thanks
I live halfway between Brisbane and the GC but I'm more rural on acreage (think Buccan), I love the space but shopping and convenience isn't top of the list out here.

You could look out towards somewhere like Daisy Hill, there are some nice properties that back onto natural bushland out there and the location is better for 'convenience'.

Getting into Brisbane by car is a bit of a nightmare this far out to be honest, for me anyway, it doesn't take much of an incident to screw the commute. So the train (after a 15min drive to the station) is my choice.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

We went for N Gold Coast, and travel to Bris every day, Vim is right the traffic is horrible but the hold ups almost always start and end at Loganhome so not too much difference in commute between Pimpama and where I live at Hope Island.

I tried the train, didn't like it at all.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Ormeau and as I work on the Gold Coast and my partner in Brisbane, this really works for us, although as mentioned previously, commuting to Brisbane is a bit of a nightmare, unless of course you have shift work and can get around peak times.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:28 am
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

It depends what your after, we arrived 6 weeks ago and have ended up in New Beith, however would look to move and buy in yatala, but these are both acreage areas, shops n transport (in new Beith) is none existent, however we love the space. I'd stay close to the pacific highway. We drove around areas seeing if we liked them n what they afford. The other thing it's quite hard to get a rental 4 bed with pool and that brought us into areas that we hadn't considered. It is a bit suck it n see when you get here.
Good luck with it all, it's all very exciting for you
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:32 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Getting into Brisbane by car is a bit of a nightmare
Or out of it after 2pm!

Never been on a train here in 6 years, but if I HAD to go into Brissie every day from the south I'd have to train it, the M1 is a joke and as smooth running as barbed wire!
Old Nov 10th 2012, 1:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Or out of it after 2pm!
Or Saturday! ...

Old Nov 10th 2012, 2:56 am
Account Closed

But with all these fools breaking the 2 second rules...

There will ALWAYS be crashes on the motorways out here.

3rd pile up I see today, plus a car in a ditch on a sharp bend.

Can't for the life of me work out what is so precious about that 6 - 8' in front of them that they HAVE to sit on the car in fronts tail ...

C'est la Vie!
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Man that's bad, cheers for that. What do you guys think about the coomera area? I've had a lot of info from estate agents about it seems like the place to live on the gold coast from what I've read....... Can anyone back this up??

Many thanks
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

An accident on the M3...I knew it !!!

Was right behind you but saw the traffic building and hit the local roads...I think everyone was in shock because it rained...accidents everywhere

Anyone who wants an easy commute come live over our side in the inner west....
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Default Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

Hello, currently a serving brit soldier amd me, my wife and 2 young kids are moving to the gold coast in April. We've already established its best for us to live in the north GC as I need to commute to CBD and around the GC. We've been using street advisor.com.au and although it does give good advice some is dated on certain areas.
I've been told to stay away from anything north of ormeau until you get to brisbane, is this the case? Also if anyone could give us their input from anyone who lives in the follwing suburbs which we're keen on it would be great

Coomera springs
Upper coomera
Ormeau
Pimpama
Pacific pines
Helensvale
Oxenford
Hope island

Basically my salary will be 130k before my wife starts working. We'd like a 4 bed family home to rent first near good schools, shops and activities.
By the end of the year we want to narrow our search down to 2 areas if possible

Hope people can help, many thanks
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

I's a waste of time trying to decide before you get here. Just spend half a day driving round the area when you arrive and you'll learn more than you ever can from asking other people. What's the point of comparing facilities from a distance when a 10 minute drive through, say Pacific Pines or Oxenford, makes you or your wife instantly decide it's not for you? Different people like different places, without any real rational explanations.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

Threads merged. There's no need to start another one on the same subject. You'll either confuse people or annoy them.

All the suburbs you mention are in a very small area. Only you can decide when you get here. Personally I wouldn't live in any of them but is there anything wrong with them? No, there isn't, they're just not for me but then I don't need to be up that end of the coast. However, I'd sooner pull my finger nails out than live in Hope Island, others love it.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:05 am
Account Closed

What do you guys think about the coomera area? I've had a lot of info from estate agents about it seems like the place to live on the gold coast from what I've read....... Can anyone back this up??
Well we started off in Upper Coomera, then had 6 months in Coomera Waters, then back to Upper Coomera till we moved up here.

Hmmmmm, pinch of salt what the Real Estate say! ...

I personally wouldn't touch the place again. We only lived that way cos the kids went to the Upper Coomera State School (rubbish), but once they both dropped out of school (yep it's that good there!) we got out a bit lively!

When a suburb has an area called River Meadows, but knicknamed 'River Ghettos' ... I'd be wary!

Full of rentals is Coomera and Upper Coomera and from my experience people who rent often don't give a shit about the upkeep of the place.

Also the 'Coomera Boys' and their V8 Commodores will be heard most nights, but then that's kinda normal wherever you live here TBH.

Coomera's well handy for drugs tho, if that's your thing! ...
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Also the 'Coomera Boys' and their V8 Commodores will be heard most nights, but then that's kinda normal wherever you live here TBH.
"here", as in northern GC?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.